nvdaily.com link to home page
Home | Archive | Weather | Traffic
Subscribe | Guide to the Daily


Valley 9-1-1

Posted November 7, 2008 | Copyright © The Northern Virginia Daily
Print This | Buy Photos | Get E-mail Alerts | Follow Us on Twitter | Fan Us on Facebook |

Condo fire caused by 'improper extinguishing of smoking materials'


comments Leave a comment

This press release was just issued by the Frederick County Fire and Rescue Department:

Frederick County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a condomnium fire
Thursday, October 30, 2008, at approximately 4:40 p.m. in the Stephens City area of
Frederick County. The condominium is iocated at 108TimberlakeTerrace.

Firefighters encountered fire on the third floor with extension in the attic. Smoke was visible from all surrounding areas. By the time firefighters were able to attack the fire, the roof collapsed. Three residents were hospitalized with non-life threatening injuries.

After approximately two hours, firefighters were abie to bring the fire under control with total extinguishment approximately six hours after the initial call.

According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. Improper extinguishing of smoking materials was the cause of the blaze. Damage is estimated at over $1 million.

Discarded Smoking Materials Safety Tips


  • Completely douse butts and ashes with water before throwing them away, as they can smolder and cause a fire.

  • Never smoke in bed.

  • Provide large, deep ashtrays with a center support for smokers. Check furniture for any dropped ashes before going to bed. Empty ashes into a fireproof container with water and sand.

  • Keep smoking materials away from anything that can burn (Le., mattresses; bedding, upholstered furniture, draperies, etc.).

  • Never-smoke in a home where oxygen is being used.

  • If you smoke, choose fire-safe cigarettes. 'They are less likely to cause flres.

  • To┬Ěprevent a deadly cigarette fire, stay alert. Do not smoke if you are sleepy, have been drinking, or have taken medicine or other drugs.

  • Keep matches and lighters up high and away from children's sight and reach.

Leave a comment



Related category entries

This entry was filed in the Fire category. View more entries in this category:









top-jobs-logo.jpg



Archives






News | Sports | Business | Lifestyle | Obituaries | Opinion | Multimedia| Entertainment | Homes | Classified
Guide to the Daily: Advertise | Circulation | Contact Us | NIE | Place a Classified | Privacy Policy | Subscribe

Copyright © The Northern Virginia Daily | nvdaily.com | 152 N. Holliday St., Strasburg, Va. 22657 | (800) 296-5137

nvdaily.com
The best small daily newspaper in Virginia