nvdaily.com link to home page
Google
Web nvdaily.com
Home | Archive | Weather | Traffic
Subscribe | Guide to the Daily


Your comments

Winchester/Frederick     Shenandoah     Warren     Politics     Wire News     Special Sections
Traffic     Gas Prices     Valley 9-1-1     A View from the Cheap Seats     We Love Shenandoah

We welcome your comments


| Comments (86)
|

Register with nvdaily.com and then express yourself! Registered users will be able to post comments on news, lifestyle or sports stories as well as write reviews of restaurants and events in the VibZ Entertainment section.


Post a comment





Registration required

You must register to post a comment, a review, sign up for an e-mail newsletter or enter a Club Clickit drawing. Here's how:

Step 1: Click on the SIGN IN OR REGISTER HERE link.
Step 2: An e-mail confirming your registration will be e-mailed to you. Open that e-mail and click on the link provided to confirm your registration.

Cookies

When you registered, a cookie was set on your computer so that your username would be recognized when you interact with our site. If you have already registered, and your username does not show up above the interactive form, you will need to sign in. Click on the SIGN IN OR REGISTER HERE link to sign in.

Comments policy

Comments are cleared by nvdaily.com during daytime work hours Monday - Friday. We will not publish posts that contain the following:
  • Web site links
  • Telephone numbers, e-mail or physical addresses
  • Profanity, potentially libelous, racist or offensive language
Questions? E-mail info@nvdaily.com

Your comments

86 comments

edaw on June 29, 2008 12:18 AM wrote:

well seeks for truth the truth is the gas prices would probably be half of what they are if it wasnt for them WARS we have goin on. how many billions have it cost the tax payers . well at least NOW we can worry about them terroists gettin us. since Bush and his republican have the whole world mad at us. thanks thanks alot. never had half these problems b/fore. but they got THEM THERE CHEMICALS AWAY FROM EM .LMFAO
does any one remember the IRAN CONTRA AFFAIR. WHAT WAS THAT?WHO DID WHAT?

seeks4truth on June 25, 2008 6:57 PM wrote:

Hi Edaw! Did you see in the paper how its the DEMOCRATS in Virginia who want to raise your gas price, and Republicans who are trying to defeat it. Who's on your side? Take care!

kim bishop on June 24, 2008 8:18 PM wrote:

Wow! What a council meeting tonight. I guess our old town council wanted to stick it to the citizens one last time. Thanks so much Mr. Nicholson and Mrs. Wallace. I sure know we won't hear you complaining when your taxes...oops fees go up.
I guess taking money from the water and sewer fund, something that will be going up every year for the for-see-able future, is fine and dandy as long as our town employees get a big 3% raise. Hey, all you native Strasburgians I hope you'll send Mr. Levine, Mr. Terndrup, Mr. Taylor, Mr. Nicholson and Mrs. Wallace thank you cards for the fact that your property taxes will be going up, so we can pay back the funds they raided tonight. Like all good politicians they'll say "oh we had no choice!" Well people there is always a choice.

They love to tell us how the State mandates all these things. "The State is making us build a new water/sewer plant"..."we have to raise fees!" The only problem is that they're raiding those very funds to pay for raises that should be coming out of the general fund, and actually shouldn't be coming out at all this year. I hope this comes back and bites them, you know where.

I sure hope the new council does vastly better than the old (how can they not?), but sadly we still have two more years of Mr. Levine and Mr. Terndrup. Yikes!

germammy on June 24, 2008 6:10 PM wrote:

Correction! Rick Kinsey won the Flat Bed not Sleeper.

seeks4truth on June 24, 2008 2:18 PM wrote:

Here we go again with the "so called" freedom of speech democrats trying to stifle free speech when it disagrees with their rhetoric. It will be interesting to see whether or not congress decides to charge anti-global warming business people, politicians and/or scientists for not going along with the Pop science Al Gore and his ilk use to promote the theory of global warming...but then again democrats and liberals like to take THEORIES and force them on people, like evolution, without allowing open and free speech to counter their theories. I hope the secret police of the democrats don't come knocking on my door next. God knows that I disagree with them on nearly every issue.

Edaw, you want to know where the communist ideals you are so afraid of are coming from, look no further than your beloved party. The democrat leadership put all creation before you or anyone elses needs. As long as the Polar Bears are safe and the caribou in Alaska aren't bothered you can freeze to death and not drive due to the fact gas is so high, but hey at least we'll have saved the planet.
Just say no to the democrat agenda. Vote anyone but Obama.

edaw on June 20, 2008 4:26 PM wrote:

cockfighting ; oh my goodness no ,dont do that, send our soldiers over to a strange country and kill humans thats o.k.thats the good ole u.s.a.
how ridiculous. a sport that has been around for generations .30 years they have been fighting chickens at little boxwood but NOW its not ok . i wish people would mind their own business

i dont think the spain bull runnin is for me but i dont see any harm in it. change the law I dont like it.these men our doin what is fun to them leave them alone. any one havin fun is against the law? this is becomin a communist country quicker than i thought.if u dont like it dont go. dont be around it. stay at home . wait for the good news.lol.dont pray in school .then the president comes on t.v. and says pray for our soldiers and theyre familes .what is this country comin too?

Doesn't Surprise Me on June 20, 2008 10:51 AM wrote:

It doesn't surprise me that the Shenandoah County school board doesn't want anyone out of the county attending their schools. Being a parent of one of the 13 students, I am going to happily move my child to a better district. After reading the article, my child said that there was now way that they were going return to a school system like that.

patmc on June 19, 2008 8:25 AM wrote:

In the United States, cars and trucks wipe out millions of birds each year, while 100 million to 1 billion birds collide with windows. According to the 2001 National Wind Coordinating Committee study, “Avian Collisions with Wind Turbines: A Summary of Existing Studies and Comparisons to Other Sources of Avian Collision Mortality in the United States," these non-wind mortalities compare with 2.19 bird deaths per turbine per year. That's a long way from the sum mortality caused by the other sources.

BrendaLee on June 19, 2008 6:19 AM wrote:

former Middletown Police Chief 3rd DUI
(regarding arrest of former Middletown police chief Roger Ashley)

I remember when I was living in Middletown in the 1990's and how he used to take turns with the other police officer in town to follow the school bus every morning -- and we were under the impression that our kids were safe -- I find it almost impossible to believe that in a small community such as Middletown that the then-clerk of the court and other officials in that Town Hall Office were unaware of his drinking problems as well as members of the Town Council. Not much went unnoticed in Middletown -- it certainly wasn't very big at that time. I guess this is another example of the Good Ole Boy Network working -- one of the reasons I no longer reside in Frederick County! (but still have friends and family there)

seeks4truth on June 15, 2008 8:46 AM wrote:

This is a question for edaw and all democrats. When will you be happy? How much should the government (or should I say hard working tax payers like myself) give away to people who aren't working? I know it's hard to lose a job, but there are jobs out there. Maybe not six figure jobs or even high end five figure jobs, but when you're out of work you suck it up and take whatever job you can, until you get something better. Maybe it sucks, but that's life. I'm tired of paying for people who are able, but just won't take any job "beneath them." So you down size your house, so you eat out less, so you share a car with your spouse or ride the bus (if there is one available) or God forbid walk.
I am not hateful nor do I not sympathize with people in need, but I've done with less, I've been in the in-between-jobs, and it was hard, but we made it through. Government is not the answer to every problem. Maybe, we could set it up, so that a few elites at the top (who are so much smarter than us) take everyone's money and dish it out to wherever they see fit. That's called Socialism/Communism. You know what? You'd still be miserable, because you judge your life by what others have. Maybe if people would rely on each other and the Church instead of the Government things would get better, but everyone wanting a handout will only lead our country to where it's heading, and that would be the place of fire and brimstone. What will make you democrats happy? And yes, I live in the real world, I just believe in the kindness of strangers and friends more than you all do.

edaw on June 13, 2008 9:08 PM wrote:

well here it is june already. wow! alot to look forward to. price of gas goin up up and up. congress just turned down an extention for un employment thanks republicans thanks alot. hey how about a raise for the goverment' sure why noT ?i bet that one passes .lol . does anyone see any thing lookin up for the so called good ole AMERICAN.

TINA on June 11, 2008 10:30 AM wrote:

I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING IN THE NORTHERN VIRGINIA DAILY ABOUT STRASBURG HIGH SCHOOL'S GRADUATION LAST FRIDAY NIGHT.YOU HAVE HAD SCHOOL INFO ON GRADUATIONS BUT NOTHING ON STRASBURG.ITS REALLY DISAPPOINTING SINCE THE PAPER IS PUBLISHED RIGHT HERE IN STRASBURG.I'M SURE I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT IS UPSET THAT NOTHING WAS IN THE PAPER ABOUT OUR HOME TOWN GRADUATION.

gem on June 11, 2008 9:40 AM wrote:

I find it humorous that the homeless men find money for alcohol and cigarettes but cannot "help out" on their rent! If they are truly "born again" they would use the money they waste on their addictions for their rent. Real salvation brings deliverance from such nonsense.

Rob WhiteAuthor Profile Page on June 11, 2008 4:55 AM wrote:

It is a sad fact that there are still drownings occurring in lifeguarded pools the world over. It was reported at last year’s World Water Safety Conference that there was an unacceptable number of fatalities and serious injuries, and the WWS in conjunction with the WHO are making efforts through training, education etc to improve this dire situation. In the UK we have about 2500 public access pools and on average 5 - 10 drownings per year, most of them need not have happened. The Swimming Pool Safety Company are specialist suppliers of technology based safety equipment and are part of the global drive to improve safety in swimming pools and waterparks. Technology can never replace a lifeguard but can, in certain circumstances extend the human capability ensuring the highest possible level of supervision. It seems compliance to guidelines and best practice is not enough, what will it take to get a meaningful reduction of fatalities.

Diogenes on June 9, 2008 9:57 PM wrote:

SU President remembers 26 years

It was Emerson who said, "An institution is the lengthened shadow of a man." He certainly described Shenandoah University and Jim Davis.

APSFAAuthor Profile Page on June 6, 2008 2:50 PM wrote:

Response to: Lucky to be alive, 'The Monster' ready to study nursing

This was a very timely article, as June is APS Awareness Month in the US.

Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome (APS) is associated with recurrent clotting events (thrombosis) including premature stroke, repeated miscarriages, phlebitis, venous thrombosis (clot in the vein) and pulmonary thromboembolism (blockage of an artery found in the lung due to a clot that has traveled from a vein). It is also associated with low platelet or blood elements that prevent bleeding. Recently, however, even more disease states have been linked with APL including premature heart attack, migraine headaches, various cardiac valvular abnormalities, skin lesions, abnormal movement/chorea, diseases that mimic multiple sclerosis, vascular diseases of the eye that can lead to visual loss and blindness.

The APS Foundation of America, Inc. is the only United States nonprofit health agency dedicated to bringing national awareness to Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome (APS), the major cause of multiple miscarriages, thrombosis, young strokes and heart attacks. We are a volunteer run, community based 501(c)3 non-profit Public Charity organization and is dedicated to fostering and facilitating joint efforts in the areas of education, support, public awareness, research and patient services.

Irishman71Author Profile Page on June 5, 2008 12:53 PM wrote:

Yes, it's sad to hear those who have simply lost faith and I can't really blame edaw too much as we have a lot of uncertainty in our near future.

Appreciate you being able to discuss these things rationally as civil discourse regarding politics in this country is becoming more and more rare as time goes on.

I'll look forward to future discussions. :)

seeks4truth on June 5, 2008 12:47 PM wrote:

Hi again Irishman! I have one more thing to say, before moving on. As a conservative I don't want the government taxing and spending anywhere, except for the defense of the country and BASIC operating expenses. To say that you'd rather have the money going to "our country" as opposed to other countries is not very conservative. The money NEVER goes where it's supposed to. It goes into the fat cats (both reps. and dems.) pockets and politicians. I don't believe Obama brings any kind of change. Republicans and Democrats (in power)= socialism. I hope you're right, but I don't hold out much hope. But like I told edaw, my happiness is not governed by who's in power. My life might be harder with which ever one gets in, but my Spirit will remain at peace...God bless you, and goodnight! Ha! Ha! Take care! :)

seeks4truth on June 5, 2008 11:58 AM wrote:

Hi Irishman 71. You're right about us being closer on issues than not, but on our differences we'll have to agree to disagree. I guess we'll see in 4 years from now if we have another "misery index". Did you hear how despondent edaw was? That's from liberal propaganda always looking to the black side of things. Anyway, maybe we'll have another debate in the future. Until then I'll keep you in my prayers. And by the way, I do not watch Bill O'Reily on a regular basis, I only click in when there's nothing else on (and then usually click off really quick.) I get my news from Fox News, the BBC, newpapers...and on the war, from the friends I have over there fighting. Take care for now!

Irishman71Author Profile Page on June 4, 2008 9:47 PM wrote:

And on your response to Edaw all I can say is that after your little jab about me watching MSNBC, may I suggest you lay off Fox News?? You sound like Bill O'Reilly.

Republicans may not WANT poisonous water and dirty air, but bending over for the oil companies and corporate america goes a long way in telling me where true loyalties lie.

And could you be more disingenuous blaming this recent economic downturn on Democrats??? The economy doesn't turn on a dime so thinking that it's this Demoocrat controlled congress' fault is purely false.

One word. HOUSING. An unchecked housing boom with unregulated lending practices that finally got caught with it's britches down and NOW the Republicans don't want the companies responsible to pay the piper (Witness the Bear Stearns bail out) and all the homeowners who followed our government's lead and took out lines of credit on their equity got burned or bought a house at the '05 peak thinking the false mantra of "Real Estate Values NEVER go down" that had been preached to them were true are now in a real pickle.

The stock market is NOT the economy. Maybe someday we'll learn that. Cut interest rates so the stock market doesn't correct and risk massive inflation. NOT a good plan.

I agree with a good portion of your reasoning for our oil issues. Not being able to drill in ANWR and not being able to build more refinieries has really hurt us and that falls SQUARELY on the shoulders of liberals... The gas tax is negligible though (We're talking about $.20 a gallon here. Big deal at this point). IMO though it's almost too late to pursue drilling and increasing refinery capacity in a meaninful way to relieve gas prices NOW. We need to find another way to power our country, and again, liberals have kept us from using more nuclear power which would go VERY far in relieving these problems.

However I blame Republicans more for the SUV gas-guzzling culture as they've been the party of big oil for quite sometime now.

Lot's of blame to go around on that one.

Irishman71Author Profile Page on June 4, 2008 8:58 PM wrote:

Seeks4Truth, I'm going to go a bit out of order in my response to you because I feel one thing about how I feel on this needs to be made abundantly clear.

I understand what fiscal means and my point was that this administration is further away from fiscal Conservatism than most any Democrat administration in my lifetime. Once again Republicans will raise the "Tax and spend liberal" spectre and talk about "socialist policies" ad nauseum to mobilize their base to try to defeat that 'Commie' Barrack Kruschev.

Well as a now EX Republican, I ain't buyin' it.... I will gladly take 4-8 years of tax and spend on programs at home as opposed to 4-8 years of borrow and spend on projects abroad. THAT is my point on how fiscal conservatism has been warped over the last eight years and what I meant by that, though I didn't think what I said was unclear.

Your defense of the weapons of mass destruction argument is weak at best. We have zero proof of convoys of WMD crossing the border into Syria. If there were any concrete proof of that Bush and Cheney would have been screaming to the high heavens about how "Right they were" in entering this debacle...

No, Sadaam was a contained threat and now we've diverted almost ALL of our military resources to stabilize a country that didn't need to be de-stabilized, pissed off our allieds and taken our eye off the real war on terror in Afghanistan. We've put the nation in further hock to China and other foreign investors to face down a phantom apparition that didn't exist and have financially turned our nation upside down.

The Iraqi government is still a mess. Sunnis participate begrudgingly if at all. We have formed a standing army of sorts there, half of which refuse to fight the Sunni insurgents, and half of which refuse to fight the armies of Shiite Clerics, BOTH more than willing to hand over the weapons they've been given to the respective groups to show a higher loyalty that has ZERO to do with the Al Maliki government.

To bring it all together in economic terms there is a concept in economics called "Sunk Expenditures" which basically states that it is folly to continue to invest money into something simply because you already have invested a lot of money in it. I believe that's what we're doing in Iraq, only the "Sunk expenditures" are human lives on top of trillions of dollars that are becoming more worthless by the week.

I feel a sorrow that we owe it to Iraq to fix what we destroyed, don't get me wrong... HOWEVER we simply cannot bankrupt our country in order to do it and that is what is occurring... This administration has some pipe-dream of a strong Iraqi government that will challenge Iran and keep them in check in the region.. I've got news for them.. It won't happen. Iraq is a country of three strong and diverse populations that DO NOT like each other. Heck the Kurds are already on the verge of costing us an allied in Turkey because they are fighting for their own interests, unified Iraq be damned...

To briefly address your appeasement argument let me just say that Chamberlain's appeasement of Hitler included allowing re-industrialization of the Rhineland, the ceding of the Sudatenland and Czechoslovakia, etc... There is NO comparison. Chamberlain GAVE Hitler what he needed to consolodate his power. It was more than simple talking that allowed that to happen. Again I refuse to believe Obama has any intention of ceding Iraq to the Iranians, or telling them it's okay to go after Israel or telling them it's fine to continue nuclear development.

The key is that NOTHING will occur if we DON'T talk. Or is the argument that we need to let sanctions and UN inspectors do their jobs??? Where have I heard that before???

To close my novel (heheh) let me just say that I'm actually probably closer to you politically than you realize. Sounds like you're a disgruntled conservative as well. The difference between you and I is that I've been pushed over the edge into believing that we need liberal balance to undo some of the damage that has been done. It makes me want to vomit whenever I hear a Republican these days preach "fiscal responsibility". It's quite evident they don't know the meaning of it. I'll take my chances with a Democrat this time around, thanks. :)

seeks4truth on June 4, 2008 11:39 AM wrote:

Hi edaw. Sorry this is so long. I have to say that I'm so sorry that you feel so hopeless. As much as this upcoming election eats away at my soul, because I'm worried Obama will get in and destroy all I hold dear about my country, I won't let it destroy my spirit. There is so much more to life than money. I'm an average citizen too. My family doesn't take lots of vacations. We have what we need to get by and sometimes a little more, but we've worked hard for it. You say that the republicans don't look out for your interests, but do the democrats? The economy has tanked since they took over the congress. Gas is higher because democrats won't let us drill for oil in our own country or refine it here. Gas is higher because the government taxes it to death. Gas will get higher because of democrat policy for controlling green house gases. If the democrats get their way you will be paying $8 a gallon. Also, food is so much more expensive because of liberal democrat "save the planet" policies forcing us to use corn and wheat instead of oil. They've caused a shortage of food for people and animals all in the name of the environmental religion. THAT IS THE TRUTH.

The democrats have long said republicans (which I am not one of anymore) use scare tactics to keep us in Iraq, but I tell you that the democrats have been using scare tactics on "average" citizens like you for years. Republicans have never wanted to make old people eat dog food. They do not want to starve children. They do not want to drink poisoned water and breath poisoned air. They do not want to destroy the environment. They do not hate black people and burn churches. Democrats have been spewing LIES, LIES, LIES for years to scare people into voting for them. Democrats are not on your side. Like all powerful people they are in it for the power, nothing more...Obama is no different. THAT IS THE TRUTH.

The good times aren't over either. Perhaps things will get a little harder, as things do, but what goes up must come down. The economy sky-rocketed (after the republicans took over in the 90's) and dropped (when the dems took over two years ago.) It will continue to spiral down until some conservatives (not republicans) get back in and fix things. Americans have made it through leaner harder times than these and they will make it through this. Perhaps it will help the young people in this country to learn that you have to work for things and not just get them handed to you. Government never helps when it gets involved. If it did we should have had a Utopia during the 40 years that Democrats had control of the house and senate. They lie to you as much as the republicans do. THAT IS THE TRUTH.

About the soldiers. You have to understand this is not Vietnam. None of the men and women fighting anywhere in our country were drafted. They signed up and the ones who are in harms way now signed up for it, knowing that they would be fighting and yes sometimes dying. But if you talk with most of them they will tell you that it's not all bad and that they are doing great things around the world. You only hear the liberal, anti-war side on TV. There is another side to the war and the people fighting are the ones I trust, not politicians who use them for their own purposes. The soldiers will come home with honor when their job is finished, or incomplete if they are removed before we finish, only to have to go and fight again in a few years after the enemy is stronger. THAT IS THE TRUTH.

You asked me am I ready for 4 more years of republican rule. I say under John McCain, no way. He cow-tows to anything the dems want him to. But I'd rather have him than Obama. Change is only good if it's GOOD change. I don't want Obama's kind of change. So what do I do? I'm going to thumb my nose at both parties and vote for a third party , the Constitution Party. If everyone who was dissatified with their party voted for a third party it would send a huge message, but too many political hacks, will stick with their party regardless of anything. I'm sick of voting for the best of the worst. Maybe you should too. Take care edaw, and don't worry so much about the negative. Focus on the positive, and I'll bet you'll find plenty of good in your life. Government is only a small part of life.

seeks4truth on June 4, 2008 10:50 AM wrote:

Well Irishman 71, I'll try my best to make my point. I'll answer your email from beginning to end. First I never mentioned Al Qaeda in Iraq. I was answering edaws comment about going after the Saudis; however, whether or not Al Qaeda is now or was before is besides the point. EVERYONE, including Bill Clinton, Gore, Edwards, Kerry, Hillary Clinton, the United Nations, etc. believed (and rightly so) that Hussein had weapons of mass destruction, biological, chemical and possibly nuclear. Bush's decision to attack Iraq had everything to do with stopping Hussein before he DID DO SOMETHING, and if you really believe he wouldn't have eventually helped Bin Laden try to destroy America you are naive. Remember, the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Hussein's own generals say that he spirited his weapons out to Syria, while our stupid government was trying to get the UN to back up its threats. Bush's main problem was indecisiveness before the war and then not doing what was necessary after the fact. Generals win wars, not politicians...and if you check your facts (with someone other than Move On, MSNBC or the rest of the leftist media) you would know that the surge is actually working and Iraq is starting to take over control of themselves, it just takes time.
Now onto appeasement. I looked it up in the dictionary and here is the definition, in regard to this subject -- appeasement - to yield or concede to the belligerent demands of (a nation, group, person, etc.) in a concilatory effort, sometimes at the expense of justice or other principles. The point of talking is to come to an agreement. However, I don't believe you can trust any of these third world dictators to keep their word. Besides the fact that they're all pretty much mental, they are liars. They will say what ever to get what they want and then do whatever they want, and they've all proved that time and time again. Neville Chamberlain is actually a perfect example of this. While he was making "peace" with Hitler, Hitler was making war plans. He had no intention of keeping to any stipulations set forth by Europe. Liberalism is just plain stupid. You cannot talk a bully down. You either beat them back or do what they want. There is no middle ground, but maybe you've never actually dealt with the problem of bullies, after all that's all these dictator are is bullies with weapons.

Finally, you mentioned that "Fiscal Conservatism" isn't just a philosophy that applies to government spending. Actually, (no rudeness intended) Fiscal does have to do with money, and there weren't a lot of problems with the economy until the democrats took over and started raising minimum wage and threatening business with huge tax hikes, not to mention hard working Americans. Conservatism has to do with what you were talking about and Bush has definitely made some mistakes, but so have all Presidents...even my favorite, Reagan. I am a conservative, but I believe that sometimes you have to pre-emt a disaster before it happens. No one likes war, but sometimes it is necessary and since we are already there we need to finish, otherwise we will be looked at as cowards by the terrorists, like during the Clinton years.

If you are truly a conservative you cannot vote for Obama. He is a tax and spend Socialist who will destroy not only the fiscal part of America, but the military, and social parts. If you're truly conservative look into the Constitution Party, you might like them. It's not "throwing" your vote away to vote third party. Right now I think both parties need to have a wake up call that they both need to change. After all change for the sake of change is not good. Obama's change will be like the Carter years all over again. God help us.

PS. John McCain will be just as bad. Vote third party.

Irishman71Author Profile Page on June 3, 2008 9:13 AM wrote:

Hey seeks... Take your time... I'll look forward to it. Some of your comments came across as very "Ray Rah, Bush!!" so I just wanted to say ahead of time that I apologize for implying you're a Neo-Con if, in fact, you are not (IMO being called a neo-con is on par with being called a 'fascist' these days).

Anyway, to clarify I'm a registered Republican without a party at this moment. That's how I feel. And yes, I support Obama.

seeks4truth on June 2, 2008 11:15 AM wrote:

Hey! I just want to let Irishman 71 know that I'll get back to him soon. I've got a busy week ahead, but be sure I'll reply to your "republican?" rantings. By the way, I'm not a republican anymore, I joined the Constitution Party, even though they're anti the Iraq war. And I'm not a "neo con" I'm a Reagan Conservative. I never liked Bush's "compassionate conservatism". Conservatism by it's nature is compassionate. Write you later Irishman 71.

Kay on June 2, 2008 10:38 AM wrote:

Soulful eyes - Congratulations on a great feature article about animal rescue. The story was well written and the photos were awesome. You have performed a great community service by making your readers aware that they can be part of the solution for the many dogs who need loving homes.

anniepemaAuthor Profile Page on May 31, 2008 12:57 PM wrote:

It is time for the public to know that the major cause for the rise in autism is known and not profitable to report. In non-familial cases older paternal age and older age of the mother's father at her conception provide the sperm DNA mutations that govern brain development. There is 50 years plus of research on this subject. Autism is also more common in families with a history of autoimmune disorders and schizophrenia. Schizophrenia and autism can be identical at a molecular level. Average paternal age is sky high guaranteing that autism rates will stay high. This condition is preventable if one complete fathering of babies in one 20s to very early 30s. There is a Male Biological Clock.

edaw on May 30, 2008 4:57 PM wrote:

just want to say im sorry for the dumb name callin. but me an average american citizen just dont think the republicans look after our best interest. im middle class i fill like im the one who suffers, the poor cant afford to go any wheres and the rich doesnt have to worry about it . im talkin about gas and the rise in every thing else except my paycheck. before i never was this uptight, but now with every thing the way it is ,i worry all the time. it does put u on the edge . r the good times really over for good? when r the soldiers comin home .tell us the truth!when will we see a positive side .tell us the truth, when will we be able to pick up the paper and say ,hey look at all of this good news. TELL US THE TRUTH ,ITS NOT THAT HARD. JOHN McCAIN WILL BE OUR NEXT PRESIDENT .HOW SAD . BUT EVEN IF OBAMA WAS TO WIN THEY WOULD FIX IT SO HE DIDNT GET IT .AND POOR HILLIARY HAS JUST PLAIN LIED RIGHT OUT ALL READY. ITS A NO WIN SITUATION .R WE REALLY READY FOR ANOTHER 4 8 YEARS OF REPUBLICAN RULE? I EXPECT A RESONSE SEEKS FOR TRUTH. AND HAVE A NICE DAY.

Irishman71Author Profile Page on May 30, 2008 10:31 AM wrote:

Well seeks4truth, you seem to be able to crank out those locations of where Al Quaeda is when it's convenient to your argument, but Senator Obama has made one comment regarding the location of Al Quaeda that I have yet to see a Neo-Con refute with anything concrete.

"There WAS NO Al Quaeda in Iraq until George W. Bush started a war there."

Now we are fighting what amounts to a purposeless war in Iraq for a government installed BY us that can't seem to get it's act together and would like us to leave....

Meanwhile, we haven't found Bin Laden and conditions of the fight in Afghanistan (the REAL war on terror) have been deteriorating and the Taliban have seen a resurgence.

I'm no Democrat... I'm a REAL Republican, not this bastardized Neo-Con version of it and I cannot believe knowing what we know now that more true Republicans aren't livid at what the Bush Administration has done to this country.

Fiscal Conservatism isn't just a philosophy that only applies to government spending on pet projects by Democrats. This administration (Now being admitted even by Bush's former press secretary) waged a public campaign to convince the American Public and Congress that we NEEDED to go after Iraq. We didn't and what's more, they KNEW we didn't.

And Talking is NOT the equivelant of "appeasement". It wasn't "talking" to Hitler by Neville Chamberlain that let the Nazi war machine build until it was virtually unstoppable. It was giving and agreeing to horrible stipulations to keep the peace.

We have ZERO reason to believe that Obama has any intention of telling Iran it's okay to go after Israel but to stop after that, or that they can annex Iraq or anything of the sort.

This "Appeasement" argument is more meaningless fear-tactic and fear-mongering bull that the Neo-Con wing of what used to be my party uses to get elected.

seeks4truth on May 24, 2008 4:40 PM wrote:

Well, edaw I'll try and answer your questions. First, I think I am an American who has the right to speak and say what I feel. After all this is an OPINION page. Second, besides defending Israel (our ally) whose business were we in before the terrorist bombed the trade centers...twice? I hope you also want us to mind our own business over Darfur. Third, yes I would fight (I already served my country) and yes my children want to serve, but like all soldier they want to go over there to fight for liberty not die. Only you liberal democrats consider defending your country dying. Fourth, I don't know what you're talking about saying I'm hiding behind "my ignorance". I am not ignorant or misinformed, I just happen to get my news from more than one source. Fifth, Clinton hated the military and took every chance to weaken it. He used it as his own personal charity. Like Bush, and all presidents he was the Commander in Chief and could have bombed Bin Laden if he'd wanted to. Congress had nothing to do with that. Sixth, Bin Laden renounced Saudi Arabia and left for Afghanistan, and his Saudi followers were part of Al Qaida based in Afghanistan, so tell my should he have gone after the Saudi's? Seventh, there has been no greater "liar in chief", in recent history than Clinton. At least Nixon had the dignity to step down when he lied (not under oath like Clinton). And before you say "it was just about sex" I'll tell you that you're the ignorant one, because Clinton was impeached for lying under oath. Even the Senate said he was guilty, but didn't have the honor to remove him from office.
It amazes me how you democrats love to bash people. Why can't you have a civil debate with someone of a different opinion. I would never take you seriously, because you come across as nasty and rude. You don't have to resort to name calling to get your point across, in fact it just makes you sound petty. Perhaps, the next time you opine over my thoughts you will be more calm, and I won't have to resort to name calling as well. Take care edaw, I enjoy reading your comments, even if you don't enjoy reading mine.

edaw on May 23, 2008 7:17 PM wrote:

seeks4truth;who do u think u are we wouldnt have to worry about terrorists if we would mind our own business. i just bet u would run over there and fight . send your son or daughtere over there to die. no u hide behind your ignorance. i bet u think Nixon was a good president also did u know CLINTON WAS GONNA BOMB BIN LADEN BUT THE SO CALLED REPUBLICAN CONTROLED CONGRESS WOULDNT LET HIM get your facts straight and quit talkin about something you know nothing about.@ also yur so called good old George Bush has done nothing but lie lie lie lie and lie. what a good president did u know his family is married into them saudis. why didnt he go after them there was 17 of the 19 hijackers from saudi arabia lets here your educated guess on that.

anglhrtdvlmnd on May 23, 2008 9:02 AM wrote:

Eddie Bell...That is a name that most people do not like to hear much less think about. I am writing this to say that we need to think about him more often right now. Ok, so he was granted a stay, but I really don't think that is going to help him which I think is a crying shame. If everyone would seriously read over the so called evidence that was presented at the trial (and not just the stuff that the state wants you to see, but all of it) anyone with any common sense would realize that there is so much reasonable doubt it is hard to figure how no one seen it before. Actually it may not be that hard to figure out, considering most people had their minds made up before the trial even started. I still feel sorry for the Timbrook family because they did suffer a terrible loss and most likely still suffer today. People tend to forget that the Bell family has and is also suffering. There really are ALWAYS two sides to every story and the fact that most people just don't want to bother themselves with hearing Eddie's side just goes to prove how screwed up society really is.

telluwhat on May 22, 2008 2:05 PM wrote:

Winchester Star

I wish there could be something about newspapers that print only what they want to!!! What happened to the freedom of our speech?? I know someone or some people who have sent letters about Edward Bell..not in his innocence but to say how there are always two sides and how seems the community is only hearing one...well a person sent a letter and contacted the Star about a letter they sent weeks ago and the Star said it was over the limit of words BUT a young girl can write one with over 300 WORDS and it gets published!!!!

Now does this actually seem fair???? You can say all day long who wants to hear anything about Edward Bell ..thats not the point..the point is the paper can pick and choose which is their right I guess...hmmm???

mom_of_5 on May 21, 2008 10:05 AM wrote:

I must say that the town of Woodstock needs to some how make sure there is a resorce officer in Cental High School. there has been one for at least 8 years Officer Don Pierce may he rest in peace being the first one I recall. This can not stop now. I am almost certain Don Pierce is turning in his grave to know such a thing is going on. The older kids and well as the younger kids need that role model. Tracy Plaugher as well as Pokey Bowman when he was in the possition after Pierce passed away in Nov 2001 have done a wonderful job of filling Pierces shoes as the officer in the schools some very hard shoes to fill might I add with the legacy Don Pierce left behind. There needs to be money found to continue for Woodstock PD to have one of their officers in the schools it needs to be done for our children and also to help the legacy and memory of Officer Don Pierce live on. Pierce was a great example to these kids and loved each one of them. As with the officers after him lets keep that memory alive people. We can always seem to find money for other stuff thats really not needed so lets find the money to keep an Officer in Central High School!!

seeks4truth on May 21, 2008 8:34 AM wrote:

The hatred for George W. Bush never ceases to amaze me. I would like the editor to share exactly what any other recent president has done to bring peace to the middle east? Nothing. They make deals, Israel gives up land, the terrorists continue to relentlessly bomb Israel and a host of other western civilization targets, Israel fights for their right to exist, another deal is struck, etc. etc. What is the point?! Democrats and Liberals seem to never learn from their mistakes. You cannot trust a liar to keep their word. The leaders of the Islamic countries, that Barak wants to talk to, have shown time and time again that they have no intention of keeping their word, but they know that Western politicians and the UN will make big speeches, rattle their sabers, but when push comes to shove they will not do anything and the terrorist nations can go about their business.

Democrats need to grow up and see that bully's cannot be "talked" down. You either fight them into submission or you capitulate. Perhaps that is what democrats want the most, a nation with elites at the top deciding how the working peasants at the bottom can live...after all that's what "the great society" was all about. Socialism. The powerful, rich taking money from the poor and middle class and distributing it as they see fit, because after all the common people are too stupid to know how to spend their money. Woe to America when the Democrats rule again.

seeks4truth on May 17, 2008 3:13 PM wrote:

Appeasement is not OK. Talking IS appeasement when there are no "conditions" present before hand. Clinton talked to everyone. He made agreements with everyone. Who kept their word? What good does it do to "talk", get promises and then say "Oh, I'm so surprised" when terrorist nations break their word? Barak Hussein Obama will be the undoing of our country. The only country he'll probably expect to make any concessions is Israel; By-the-way the only country over there who has kept their word.

Obama will take us back to the Carter years, when no one respected us, yes even to the Clinton years that left us looking so weak and feeble that terrorists felt comfortable blowing up buildings (yes 911 was planned before Bush took office). Clinton destroyed our ability to affect anything because of him giving over command of our military to the U.N. (another useless organization). The only time I remember President Clinton getting anything done was when he BOMBED Serbia. I diplomacy doesn't always work.

Since 911 there has not been another successful attack on America. Why? Because George Bush has stood up to the terrorists and took them on. As soon as one of the appeasement democrats get a chance to pull us out and talk "peacefully" with terrorist organizations, once again they will feel comfortable attacking us. Hamas, Hussein, Hezbolla, etc. have all broken their promises of peace. Perhaps once they show us that they will act civilly then we can talk. But to talk to them without a complete cease-fire with Israel (our ally) and a recognition of their right to exist there should be no talking with them. Making deals with liars does no good.

By-the-way, I am not a Bush supporter except on the war on terror. Someone had to do something.

robinwc on May 16, 2008 6:50 PM wrote:

This comment is in response to Rich Orndorff, Jr. and mom of 5, re: recent articles pertaining to Mr. Orndorff. Right on Rich and right on mom of 5! I am with you. Let us all be open books to people with regard to our personal lives and finances. I am sure, we, and maybe even "politicalwd" would have some flaws and mistakes. It is simply not human to be without flaws. Orndorff has never said "I make no mistakes", has he anyone? I haven't heard that said or read that in the paper anywhere.

I would like to point one thing out here: If I were Rich Orndorff and received the verbal abuse by the NVD, citizens, and others about my personal life and finances as he has, I certainly would not be willing to serve a town so readily as has been willing to do. One must be admired for their love of community and desire to help the Town's future. I must admit, I would have been a coward and would have backed out of everything due to the abuse and victimization he has received. I admire you, Rich, for standing strong throughout it all. It must be incredibly difficult to endure. You've got my support! Sincerely, Robin Costello

edaw on May 14, 2008 7:05 PM wrote:

There is a God: Maybe we will finally here the rest of the story. AND why didnt Millohand let the STATE POLICE investigate the murder? Was he afraid we might find out what really went on that nite .Does any body pay any attention to what they have read. I hope Bell gets more support. Does any one know what probation violation he violated? I have yet to here.

mom_of_5 on May 14, 2008 3:33 PM wrote:

I am glad that Rich Orndoff has posted a comment on here!! I must say I agree with everything Rich has said in his comment.......To Rich you are a great guy and your past should be left alone...Everyone has things the are not proud of but we are all human. To the people who belittle you maybe they should be put in the spot light just to show how imperfect they are.....There is only one that is perfect and that is God. As far as I am concerned as long as you have forgivness from the important people in your life and God then the heck with the rest of them. You are a good man very giving and loyal to our community! Keep your head up high and may Gods peace be with you and your family!

Rich Orndorff, Jr. on May 14, 2008 12:35 PM wrote:

Well, "politicalwd" of course not your real name! The NVD has continued to print something that occured nearly 5 years ago. How many other domestic incidents occur daily and recieve no coverage. The injustice is those victims, many hospitalized or worse are not given the support they need and deserve. I have never said what happened during those incidents with my now ex-wife was right or justified. As a matter of fact since my life has been such an open book and so well publicized if you care to do your homework I readily admitted my mistakes and accepted responsibility and punishment. I have paid my debt to society but more importantly to my ex-wife, my children, my family, my firends and to those who care to get to know me. I have also recieved forgiveness from the most important people in my life, my children, family, friends and more importantly my GOD. I do not seek your forgiveness nor redemption in your eyes. For you to be so pious as to sit in judgement of me, who do you think you are? As for your accusations, I did not BEAT my ex-wife, get all of the facts, you were not there but the people that were can tell you what occured. I do not profess innocence nor have I in the past, but the convictions were only as a result of a plea bargin to spare everyone concerned more grief and heartache. I WILL NOT MOVE!!!! I was born and rasied in Strasburg and intend to raise my children here. I have served this commmunity for over half my life in various ways and will continue. Lifelong residents of Strasburg or those who chose to move here and become part of this wonderful community are not like you. You and those like you need to take your bitterness and negative attitude back where you came from because Strasburg and Shenandoah County does nto need it nor deserve it. Tell me, how much have you done for your community? You MOVE!!! I will not go quietly into the night!! By the way let's open your personal finances and see if you and your family have always been perfect.

makewish42 on May 13, 2008 3:17 PM wrote:

The other side

I would like to also comment on the grandmother of the 3 children being in the paper and how some have been a little cruel about it. For 9 yrs we have only heard one side, dont you think we deserve to hear the other?

I do know that the children's mother have and will always want to be kept out of this. She has declined all interviews for the sake of her children. She keeps the newspapers and the local news channels away from her children as much as possible. She does not wish to have them know what is going on with their father. She has not lied to them about why their father is in prison and does not say anything hurtful about the Timbrooks etc. She has informed them that the "Timbrooks" are very upset because they lost their son and that she would be also if she ever lost them. She does not want them to grow up with hate in their hearts. Although her mom is in the paper she had strictly forbidded any word of her children's name and hope that this does not come back to bite them. I have seen her cry when she see's Timbrooks' family on tv. She says "she could never imagine the loss of a child before her" When she read the last night of Timbrooks life in the paper she has tears in her eyes. Just because she has children with Edward does not mean that she does not care that a man's life was taken from his parents, friends, wife and child. She too wishes that all of this could just be over but does know that when it is over that she may have to tell her children their father is gone just like Kelly did.

makewish42 on May 13, 2008 2:56 PM wrote:

The other Side

I could not sit back one more day and read some of the hatred comments about the Bell's. How can no one even think that Ricky Jr. has more of the right then The Bell children? Yes, he is the son of a fallen police officer and the Bell children are those of a convicted killer BUT they are all VICTIMS!! Im sure they all are so tried of this being public and will they ever get past it .NO NO they wont. Ricky Jr. has lost if father and the Bell Children are on that same road and will eventually lose theirs. I pray for all of them to help them be strong through this never ending trauma. BUT living in Winchester community they will always be reminded. I do wish that everytime during the anniversary of Timbrooks death that they would print good memories of his life and not what had happened to him. We will NEVER forget what happened but we could at least be reminded of the happier times. Im sure Ricky JR. would like to read that one day in the paper of all the good stuff instead of always being reminded of the murder that he will never forget!!

Mr. Honesty on May 13, 2008 12:55 PM wrote:

Mom must be proud her daughter picked such a winner!!!

hawkhill on May 12, 2008 8:38 PM wrote:

Edward N. Bell's family speaks out to share the other side

Yes it is sad for all the families concerned but we must abide by rules, regulations and THE LAW! He did the crime and MUST do the time. In my opinion it is wrong of the NVD to even interview these people, and to expect Kelly to want her family put back into the spotlight, like they aren't already! Enough is enough. Put yourself in her shoes and her son's who is now old enough to understand all of this now that it has been drug out so long.

hawkhill on May 12, 2008 8:28 PM wrote:

U.S. Supreme Court issues stay of execution for Bell - I am appaulded to think that these government people have given more consideration to an accussed murderer than to the family members of Officer Timbrook. Once again they have their heads buried and are not thinking of the continual nightmare this family has endured. I have my own opinions of how this should be treated and I believe there are a lot of people who would concure. It is to bad that we ever had to hear of the civil liberties bunch. Maybe if it were 1880 we would not even be discussing this, as it would have already been taken care of and done. My heart and prayers go out to Kelly and her family and Ricky and his.

seeks4truth on May 12, 2008 1:52 PM wrote:

I would like to comment on Gene Rigelon's letter to the editor in the May 8th paper about the winter soldiers. I went to their web-site and checked things out. While I do not doubt the tales of these soldiers at all, and do not minimize their traumas, I went through and counted the members. I came up with 225 soldiers, who've given accounts. I've also heard many other soldier's stories from those areas, and they see things differently. There are thousands of soldiers serving all over the world, do we say all the rest of them are liars and torturers because of 225? Sadly atrocities happen in war, but that does not mean the war was/is in vain. Many people have been saved from torture, rape and many other abuses thanks to our forces in Iraq, Afganistan and around the world. Most of our soldiers and generals are working hard and doing GOOD! Many, many Iraqi's are overjoyed that we're there helping them.

As it has been said...War is Hell...a true statement. Innocents get killed in war. I remember 3000 who died as "collateral damage" in New York City on September 11th, when Muslim jihadists declared war on our country and our way of life. Where is the out-cry for those victims anymore? If we prematurely pull out of any of these countries and get attacked again, I hope NONE of these anti-war people cry out against our present government, because it will be their fault.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing" -- Albert Einstien.

politicalwd on May 9, 2008 11:05 PM wrote:

Orndorff in Strasburg blames the NVD for his downfall? How about being convicted TWICE for beating his wife. Also, what about monies owed to the town for some time that were not paid.

Get Real Mr. Orndorff, if you want to serve your community...MOVE>

Htfari on May 9, 2008 5:02 PM wrote:

The author of the article quoted someone as saying that foreign athletes do not pay taxes. This is incorrect because the race director insures the income is reported to the IRS via the w9 forms.

If the runner does not have a SSN they will deduct 30% of the proceeds before handing the winning check.

I don't think we should accuse them of tax evasion in a newspaper. You can accuse them of maybe being too fast for your liking.

anglhrtdvlmnd on May 9, 2008 12:10 PM wrote:

I understand everyone in the area wanting to always remember Officer Timbrook. From what I have heard and read he was a great cop and my heart still goes out to his family. My problem is that in recently reading through articles that stated "evidence" at the trial, I have to say that I saw plenty of reasonable doubt. I think that the police force did the best job that they knew how, but I also think that they were already convinced that Eddie did it so they disreguarded a lot of evidence that would have pointed them in a different direction. On the fact that articles are continuously run about how bad of a person Eddie is and how much all of this hurt Officer Timbrook's widow and his fellow officers, I think everyone is overlooking other people that are continuous hurt by all of this. No one ever talks about his children that will be left fatherless by the death sentance and how badly it will all impact them. Officer Timbrook's wife was left without her life partner and their child was left fatherless, but does that give us the holy right to take eddie's life and hurt more people in the process??????

robinwc on May 8, 2008 10:28 AM wrote:

This is in response to both "Mark Warner giveth, and Mark Warner taketh away" and "Strasburg council has four new members." I agree with rickfunk in that there is no wall to wall coverage of the other candidates, particularly the new mayor, who should have been the one with a picture on the front page of the paper. It just goes to show you that "our great NVD" makes poor decisions on journalism and what is a good news story. Ditto to you rickfunk, that even though the election is over, this publication will still find ways to berate and belittle Rich Orndorff, because that is their M.O.(modus operandi). AND YES, everyone that I speak to has attested to the fact that the repeated phrase used everytime they publish an article about Rich Orndorff is indeed "old news" (5 yrs. old in fact)!

In my lifetime of reading of the NVD, I cannot remember another individual they have repeatedly persecuted such as this individual. One would wonder why they wouldn't choose to persecute a capital criminal, a sexual offender, or someone of that nature? No, pgammon, I do not think Orndorff is "playing the victim" card. He has been perpetually victimized by this newspaper. What would be of greater interest to know is the truth behind why the NVD feels the need to act in this manner toward this individual.

rickfunk on May 7, 2008 8:30 AM wrote:

In response to "Mark Warner giveth, and Mark Warner taketh away..." If seeks4truth is right and this is news then there still is a point to be made. Where is the wall to wall coverage of the other candidates? Again whether it is positive or negative none of them got the time and attention that Mr. Orndorff did. Even in today’s story "Strasburg council has four new members" this publication saw fit to bring up Mr. Orndorff's past yet again even in an article with a nice picture of him and his daughter. I would like to think that since the election is over that this paper will finally leave the man alone. I bet that will not be the case. Whenever there is an opportunity I'm sure it will be rehashed again.

pgammon on May 7, 2008 8:03 AM wrote:

I'm very impressed with Justin Ritenour and I think he will be good for the city council. He will bring youth and a different perspective.

I believe Tim Taylor will be a great mayor.

Mr. Orndorff needs to quit playing the victim card and accept his defeat.

seeks4truth on May 6, 2008 7:27 PM wrote:

I cannot believe mom of 5 believes Edith Wallace will do a great job if elected. What has Mrs. Wallace done? I don't remember her doing or saying much of anything since she's been on council. Granted she's honest and she honestly said she walked out on a meeting to stop it (something not acceptable at all) and said that she'd do it again. So much for democracy. Why don't we just let her decide everything? Please!

In regard to the people upset at the NVD for reporting on Rich Orndorff and Mark Warner's lack of endorsement, that is news. Maybe not what they'd like but news just the same. I think Mr. Orndorff has gotten his message out, and the paper's gotten a message out. Let the people sift through it all and make their decision.
What mom of 5, rickfunk, and robinwc have done by writing in is exactly the right thing. Put your opinion out there and then let others decide...but let the opposition put their opinions forth as well. This is how democracy works! God bless America!

mom_of_5 on May 6, 2008 2:11 PM wrote:

In response to "Mark Warner giveth, and Mark Warner taketh away..." I have to say its time to move away from things that were in the paper and happened 5 years ago. Everyone makes mistakes in their life including Mark Warner and the rest of Shenandoah County! Why pick on one person such as Rich Orndoff? The past is the past so let it go people. I also have to say if you are going to attack Orndoff do it for something he did wrong as Mayor of Strasburg but thats the thing Rich did a great job as Mayor so nothing bad can be said. What someone does in their personal life is their buisness not everyone elses! If his children and family can put the past behind them the NVD needs to as well. I as a reader want current events and happenings not stuff from 5 years ago! Ride past the home Orndoff and his former wife shared there is a elect Rich Orndoff sign in one of the windows. If his former wife wife and children have moved on and forgiven and forgot so does everyone else!!!! Gosh is it fair to those young children to hear all this nasty stuff from the past about their dad? No its not. Rich Orndoff has a love for his community and I think the fact that despite all the negativity of the press Rich Orndoff presses on and trys to once again do what he does best serving otherin his community. Have a conversation with Orndoff he is full of great ideas and advise he is also one of the nicest most intelligent people I have ever met. I wish Rich Orndoff the best of luck in the election along with Edith Wallace she is not affraid to speak her mind or the truth. Both will both do a great job if elected into an office! I wish them the best of luck!

rickfunk on May 6, 2008 9:58 AM wrote:

In response to "Mark Warner giveth, and Mark Warner taketh away..."
Apparently this publication has gotten stuck in the quagmire and has no way to escape. I cannot believe yet another story covering "Virginia politics" has focused on news that everyone who has read this paper has heard time and time again. What are you striving for? Why must we endure this commentary ad nauseam? If you do not have enough current events to fill your space each day consider hiring some reporters who spend a little more time earning their pay rather than rewriting the same stories day after day. Grow up and move on. It will make your readers breathe a sigh of relief

robinwc on May 5, 2008 7:36 PM wrote:

I am writing in response to the article "Mark Warner rescinds endorsement of Orndorff." I am on the same page as rickfunk who responded previously today, "Here we go again." As I said in my previous letter to the editor, "enough is enough." I guess the press does not understand what that means. Gee how I wish they would scrutinize the lives of other political candidates to the degree they have scrutinized Mr. Orndorff. It might make for interesting news in "our great newspaper."

Frankly, the majority of people I have spoken to are sick and tired of an issue which occurred 5 years ago being brought up constantly by the newspaper. They think the paper should get out there and give other candidates the fine-tooth comb that they have given Mr. Orndorff. What's fair is fair, right?

Actually the repeated news about Mr. Orndorff's past is no longer news. I would think the editor should ask the reporters to find additional news that the readers would want to hear, rather than old news. But who knows?

I have never seen a newspaper try to beat down a person such as this paper has. Frankly, it is a social injustice, and anyone with wisdom, ethics, and decent values should be able to see it for what it is.

rickfunk on May 5, 2008 11:22 AM wrote:

This in in response to "Mark Warner rescinds endorsement of Orndorff"
Here we go again. I am shocked and appalled at the amount of time and attention that this publication gives to berating and belittling Rich Orndorff. This is an individual who wants nothing more than to have his past be left as such and to get back to serving the community that he has served very well previously and has devoted the majority of his life to. If you spent as much time and effort covering the far more serious issues that face each of us every day, I assure you that the vast majority of your readership would appreciate it. Let’s face it; Mr. Orndorff is not perfect as none of us are however your continued campaign to undermine his character has left a bad taste in many peoples mouths. The town of Strasburg like many smaller communities has a way of communicating concerns and issues they believe are important among themselves because the citizens are a close knit group and most everyone knows one another. I sincerely feel that they do not need another headline every day to keep them abreast of what a candidate nor a private citizen for that matter is doing. In fact, I’m sure most are long tired of rehashing events that happened five years ago. I am most certain they would be most satisfied that their local paper would focus on today and the future of their communities. And oh by the way, if the citizens of Strasburg see fit to elect Rich Orndorff, they will get a councilman who is loyal and has the best interest of his beloved community at heart. Let sleeping dogs lie. His family, his children and the rest of the community do not need this negativity every day. I suggest you spend time on what’s truly important to the public. The crumbling economy, the exorbitant prices we have to endure, the rampant crime and educational and health care concerns for many if not all families today. Leave a good man with good intensions alone. Let the citizens of Strasburg make their decision based on their hearts not on what you feel about the individual which clearly is biased based on the fact that there has been no coverage of any of the other candidates whether positive or negative.

seeks4truth on May 4, 2008 3:36 PM wrote:

Oh, My gosh! Mr. Orndorff and Mrs. Wallace need to grow up. The last time I looked it was just fine for ANY citizen to support anyone they choose! Perhaps, the belly-aching and crying shows just how much these two should not be taken seriously as candidates, and Mrs. Wallace should be ashamed for attacking Mrs. Gary and calling her "the devil incarnate", I mean really, does Mrs. Gary have that much power? She's probably at home laughing herself silly. I know I am. Who else can't wait for this election to be over?

seeks4truth on May 1, 2008 11:17 AM wrote:

I would like to take a moment to comment on the people running for town council. Firstly, I will not vote for either Mr. Swafford or Mr. Orndorff, because both said they would like to speak with me and "pick my brain" but neither chose to get in touch. The few times I've spoken with Mr. Swafford he seemed uncomfortable and treated me as unimportant (probably because I'm not as old as other voters),it seems as though he's not interested in the ideas of younger folk. I guess everyone is not equal in his eyes. As for Mr. Orndorff I would have liked to hear what he's done in the past, but now all I have is the articles in the paper the last few years to go by.

I'm totally impressed by Mr. Ritenour because of his youthful excitement and hard working attitude and Mr. Baker, because I think he'll bring a respectful strength to the council...plus he's a lawyer and goodness knows we need someone to counter our town attorney's seeming lack of initiative. I like Mr. Seelbach because he's a business owner in Strasburg and he's had the courage to speak up and be heard at council meetings, as a citizens, which I highly respect. Mrs. Wallace simply shouldn't be there anymore and I'm torn between Mr. Rinker and Mr. Redmond, both have positives and negatives.

It should be a close election. Make sure you go out an vote for your candidates.

edaw on April 30, 2008 8:30 PM wrote:

Bell a Jamaican. Does everyone really think he got a fair trial. Here in America.Where we all r suppose to receive the same fair treatment.Thats like sayin Nixon was a good president.

edaw on April 30, 2008 12:59 AM wrote:

75,000 DOLLARS SHORT ON STRASBURGS BUDGET. I know how they can save about 25,000 or 30,000 of it . Get rid of about 7 or 8 of them so called good cops in town. I here they have 27. I MEAN REALLY. I went to the 7eleven at 12:15 the other nite and there was three cars sittin there , and three cops inside. One car was runnin the other two were shut off. I RETURNED AN HOUR AND 10 MINUTES LATER TO GET ANOTHER CUP OF COFFEE AND THEY WERE STILL THERE. Was that just a coindence or a waste of money .The sad thing is it was a sunday nite .Is there really that much need for three cops on a SUNDAY nite.

edaw on April 28, 2008 11:29 PM wrote:

elijah i hope u r doin well but this will be like any other case here in this county it wont be what she did or didnt do it depends on who she knows or doesnt know

edaw on April 28, 2008 11:19 PM wrote:

i think if just one of the justices would check a little closer they would find out what really went on that nite they are blaming the wrong one
he should not die evidence states that bell had only enough gun residue on his body that could have of easily gotten there by simply goin trough the alley which he did but did he fire that shot evidence would have shown alot more -especially on his hands - residue on him than that since they apprenhended him whithin seconds of the so called murder hes quilty of causin the murder but im suggesting he didnt do it

Robert on April 28, 2008 12:14 PM wrote:

To all the military personel who served in the middle east, I salute you. I am a former US marine with 2 tours in Beruit in the early 1980's. I know what you saw and experienced was devistating. I have only lived in Woodstock a short while, but we are all brothers. Once again I salute your bravery and honor to our great nation. Company B welcome home and thank you.
Robert

Cheryl on April 28, 2008 11:57 AM wrote:

Forget paying the property owner. Go after the people who did the damage. I hate seeing it on the streets around the schools. It should not be hard to find a student who puts their initials on the pavement. Make them clean it up and made the vandals clean up and paint the walls. Go after these people like stink on sh...
I'm tired of my tax dollars going to pay for something someone else should be paying for.

seeks4truth on April 28, 2008 8:27 AM wrote:

I agree with aebaus about taxes! Until 2006 consumer confidence was high, regular gas was around $2.19 a gallon and the unemployment rate was 4.5%. Now consumer confidence is gone,gas is over $3.50 a gallon, unemployment is up to 5%, home equity has dropped by $1.2 trillion dollars and 1% of American homes are in foreclosure. What changed? The answer is simple Democrats took over Washington and have used economic scare tactics (in league with the media)to make people believe we're worse off then we are. When you say recession enough, eventually it will stick, and the doom and gloom prophets make their prophesies come true.

Come next year taxes on all government levels will be up. Federal, State, County and local, so basically hard working people will be taxed over 4 times not to mention stealth taxes that no one thinks about.

Cut taxes (which is the best stimulus), cut spending, cut ridiculous programs and stop giving tax money away to non citizens. America was found on hard work and sacrifice, sadly I think much of America and especially the elites at the top (republican AND democrats)have forgetten that. Elites want to make everyone under them slaves, that is work so they can take the money and spend it since we citizens are too stupid to make good choices, and it seems most everyone else just want a hand out.

Perhaps it's time for a third party. Check out the Constitution Party.

aebaus on April 26, 2008 7:15 PM wrote:

Why is it that every time the government needs more money the solution is to raise taxes? If I had the option to give myself a raise every time I wanted to do something life would be great. The government needs to be thinking about what areas they can cut spending, and then they can redirect that money to areas of greater need.

seeks4truth on April 24, 2008 1:07 PM wrote:

To the article "Judges refuse to hear appeal" I'd just like to say that the last and present town council really dropped the ball. Now that it's "all over" and the actual case about the town not doing its job never got heard by a court of law, we can take great comfort knowing that the previous council and the sitting council sold out to the highest bidder, namely the developer, and our town attorney did a masterful job of nothing, by turning the case over to the developer's lawyers...since the town and developer were on the same side. Now that it's no longer in the courts perhaps the council can answer the public's questions about why they didn't do something when they had the chance...and of course they can answer our question about the conflict of interest in using the developer's attorneys to try the town's case. After all, the town (not the town council) admitted to not informing adjoining counties about the rezoning. How is that the developers business, except for the fact that they want to build homes in a known flood plain and their interests would be hurt if the Voice of Strasburg case were upheld...oops, I mean heard. Yes there are questions to be answered and I hope the council is preparing themselves to answer them. The court says it's the council's fault, but isn't it interesting how it's too late to bring suit against the council, because the lawyers drug it out so long. We'd like the truth!

Protectthechildren on April 18, 2008 4:02 PM wrote:

To the Motheroffour...Did you ever think about the physical findings consisting with the child's story? When someone is forcibly held under water, there are physical findings as well as a child's testimony. For example, broken blood vessels in the face or brusing on extremities from being held down. In forensics they are taught not to interrogate people but to allow them to speak freely, otherwise the evidence is considered worthless. I work with similar cases like this daily and we need to learn to trust our children's words sometimes. Yes, sometimes cases are blown out of proportion, for example with spanking. However, when what the child says consists with any marks on their body that's where forensics can confirm or deny something. May God protect these little children. Think about it. How likely is it for a 5 yr old to drown in a bathtub unless they slip and hit their head? I have a close friend that was abused in horrible ways when he was growing up and the wonderful state he lived in ignored it until he was almost beaten to death.

momofthree on April 18, 2008 2:16 PM wrote:

To those who are judging based on what the media has published, shame on you. If a police officer ever asks your child if you ever held his/her head under water, I hope you're ready for the consequences. If you have children, and you've shampooed their hair, especially in the bathtub, they're going to say "yes." The interrogators spent 90 minutes in the hospital room with this child - 90 minutes with a child who had just been revived and had to be very scared and confused. If someone spends 90 minutes questioning a five-year-old they WILL find a question to which the answer will make you look like a monster. How about "I was in the closet and it was dark!" (hide and seek anyone?) or "Mommy made me drink this yukky stuff and then I threw up!" (ever given your child bad-tasting medicine when they were sick?) or "I was all by myself..." (any number of situations from playing in your own fenced yard to being a 'big boy' and using the toilet alone). There is much more to this case than is being printed. It's a witch hunt. Any mother with a brain can think of a dozen things her child could say that would, if unexplained, put her in Samantha Dale's position. A five-year-old is not considered a competent witness in any other circumstance, and this is a five-year-old who, a short time before, had not been breathing. This is a five-year-old who had just gone through an ordeal that would leave a 40-year-old dazed and confused. This is a five-year-old who has been reported (inaccurately) by the media to be "severely brain damaged." Do I think he's "making it up?" No. Do I think he was questioned until he gave an answer that fit someone's preconceived notion of how this happened? Absolutely. Judge not.

AbnGrunt on April 18, 2008 2:13 PM wrote:

The teacher's personal story about racial segregation was great, the unvarnished truth must come out and there is no better way for her students to learn about history is from a first person perspective. History is not just a lot of dry information about people and places from the past. History is everything that happened yesterday to real people.

Airborne!

Lucky Star on April 18, 2008 7:03 AM wrote:

I agree that the mother should not be around the little boy until she goes to court, however with the little boys age and what has happen to him, I don't agree with him being in the care of Social Services. The child obviously has a father, aunts, uncles or even grandparents that love him very much. Why isn't he in their care. This has got to be so confusing for him, if he is not able to see the people he loves so much. I really don't think he needs to be with some stranger who could not console him like a family member could. With the little boys age, I am assuming that he was in school, so this has now disrupted his education as well. I know if I was the little boy I would fill like I was being punished, because I am not seeing my family or my little friends. I agree that the child should be protected, but allow him to be protected with his family.

t on April 16, 2008 5:07 PM wrote:

Samantha is my stepsister. And I believe in my heart that she did not do this. Elijah is a wonderful, and very rumbunxious lil boy. You blink your eyes for one second, and a child can get hurt, or end up missing. It happened to me once, it doesnt mean that i tried to kill my son, or that I am a bad parent. I just took my off for him for a second. And every parent knows what I am talking about. Samantha did NOT try to kill her son. When ALL the facts come out, everyone will feel ashamed of what they have said!

Yolanda on April 15, 2008 1:41 PM wrote:

I am a neighbor of Samantha Dale. My son and Elijah were very close and played on an almost a daily basis. I have watched Elijah, he has stayed the night at my home. I have seen Samantha and talked to her at the bus stop with him everyday for 8 or so months. I am having a hard time believing all this what they are saying about her. I am also having trouble with believing Elijah made this up . They are extremely close and I have seen her get protective over him. I have spent time with her and would never have had a inclination of anything like this. I pray the truth does come out no matter how disturbing.

Tstar on April 14, 2008 9:34 AM wrote:

In all fairness, I wish to correct my earlier comments to include the words "IF this woman is guilty of the alledged crime she has been charged with..." then, yes, I stand by the rest of my statement. I know it sounded harsh but innocent kids are being harmed by the hands that are supposed to love them the most! The paper even stated that before charges were even placed, the examiner found evidence that corroborated the boy's story. Think about it for a minute...if you tried to hold a 5 yr old under water, there would be one heck of a struggle and there would be marks on the body etc. Also, if they were so close and loving, why in the world would he make up such a story? Not for me to speculate....court will sort out the details.

The point I am really trying to make is that there is so much in the news lately about kids being killed by their parents that it breaks my heart. How many times have friends, family, neighbors, teachers or even Social Services thought that a situation didn't warrant intervention and then they were proved wrong, but it was too late? I was a divorced Mom of 3 and I know full well how they can wear on that last nerve, but never did I resort to harming them. I hope as others do that this was just an accident, but I also hope that people do not turn a blind eye to this case because it would just be too painful to see the truth. If it is true, both mother and son need some serious intervention and that little boy needs all the love and help you can give him.

Marjorie on April 14, 2008 8:42 AM wrote:

I would like to comment on the following statement in this article. (Somebody is going to have to make a very difficult decision very soon because if you [pass him around] from foster home to foster home to foster home, you're doing more damage than mom did,")

I could not agree more. Elijah needs to be with family and friends. Not with strangers. He is going through a difficult time and we can not even begin to imagine what he is thinking and feeling. To be torn away from everything that you know and love at such a young age must be extremely difficult for a five year old.

Katie on April 12, 2008 7:15 PM wrote:

I have known Samantha since she was a child, I taught her in Sunday School. I cannot and will not believe that this is anything but an accident. All you had to do was see Elijah and Samantha together to know how much they love each other. I am also sure he is very confused what is going on. I pray they are soon reunited and this is all cleared up and people will know the truth.

hush hush on April 12, 2008 7:12 PM wrote:

first off to tstar dont judge this young woman by just what you read because the media will paint her a monster to sell papers if they can so dont jump to conclusions please.... i know this young woman and the granparents they are all wonderful people i do not for second beleive that she has done any thing to that child ever but love him. and the child should be with the granparents instead of being held captive by social services.. who will do nothing more than try and brain wash him into beleiving his mother tried to hurt him just so they can build a case and look good publicly because i feel sure they already know they dont have a leg to stand on i just hope and pray for this girl that everything works out and her child is returned to her where he belongs.. and as for our great social services in shen county heres one for you a year or so ago i know for a fact a you were alerted to a house hold where child neglect was definaltey going on you informed 2 times that i know of that there were drugs and other bad things going on at this home and what did you do nothing instead of getting a warrant and going to the house to check this out you called this house hold and alerted them that you would be coming out the following day to check them out because of 2 complaints of child neglect way to go you gave them ample time to remove the drugs and alcahol from the house and clean up so when you arrived it looked as if it was a happy house hold to you!!! way to go... you think you have got an easy case with this girl so you can thump your chest when its done and say look what weve done for the community i hope when this case is done you and the other officials involved in this case are exposed for what you truly are a big joke..

Marjorie on April 11, 2008 11:51 AM wrote:

Such a terrible tragedy to happen to Elijah. I have known him for several years through his grandparents in Luray and my heart goes out to all involved. Elijah is greatly loved my all of us that know him and his grandmother Vicki and granddad Clint have always taking excellent care of him. I only hope and pray that he is soon reunited with his family as I am sure that he is a little scared and confused by all the events unfolding.

gwfan0514 on April 11, 2008 9:47 AM wrote:

Regarding the story The father-daughter bond: Hinegardner excels at Central with a little help from family:

Always great to read these stories. It's impressive to read how teens look up to their parents for motivation and guidance. I can imagine Brea's parents are so very proud.

While the father says enrolling a child in a sports travel team is not cheap, the expense should be viewed more of an investment in his child. Not investing time, etc. in a child's teen years could lead to dangerous situations and activities. Enrolling a child in positive activities will pay dividends. In this case, Brea will probably grow up to be a fine young woman and a role model for her peers.

speechless on April 11, 2008 1:37 AM wrote:

Maybe we should get more information on this young lady's case before we judge, this case was not handled well from start to finish. she is found guilty before innocent.This was an accident, and terrible accident , but an accident ,

Kissy on April 10, 2008 10:45 PM wrote:

To those of you who have commented on the attempted murder case of Samantha Dale, I understand that you don't know her and that your just commenting on what you read. Those who do know her know that that boy is her life. She would do anything for him. He is a happy, healthy 5 year old boy who had a tragic accident. They are each others world. Take a look at it from this angle. He was scared, surrounded by people he didnt know asking him questions he didnt understand and all he did know is that his mother wasnt there. I have know this boy all of his life and never once has his mother mistreated him. She spoiled him, loved him, cared for him, did everything for him. I feel that this was a bad accident that has now turned into a tragedy. Because now they have taken away not only his mother but his family as well. As she sits in a jail worried about him, rather than herself. I dont judge anyone that chooses to comment about this article all I ask is that you show human compassion for a family that was ripped apart by an accident of no ones fault.

Tstar on April 10, 2008 11:06 AM wrote:

Unbelievable! All the people in the world that try endlessly to have children, but cannot conceive and then someone that has no more business having children than this woman and she tries to drown the poor boy!

This will go to court and she will hopefully spend time in jail, but I think that to make sure this never happens again....it needs to be mandated that she be made sterile, so that she can never have children again. May God bless this little boy and hopefully he will be placed into a loving home and protected from this woman.

teresa on April 10, 2008 10:57 AM wrote:

I worked with Ashley at the equine center in Lessburg va and she was a very lovley young lady! Loved working with the horses and did a very good job! This whole thing makes me SICK that a beautiful girl with so much life to live had to leave this world that way!!!!!!!May god be with her and her family at this time of sorrow. Ashley is a Angel when she was here and now!

Ed on April 10, 2008 7:01 AM wrote:

Just wanted to let you know that Tre' is not a walk on. Tre has received a letter of intent which he has signed and returned.

ashleys on April 9, 2008 12:20 PM wrote:

This has been such a tragedy for us all. We need to keep both the Rexroads and the Johnsons in our thoughts and prayers. May we never forget Ashley and the impact she had on all of our lives. May she rest in peace.




Register with nvdaily.com and then express yourself! Registered users will be able to post comments and restaurant reviews, and enter Club Clickit drawings.








News | Sports | Business | Lifestyle | Obituaries | Opinion | Multimedia| Entertainment | Homes | Classified
Guide to the Daily: Advertise | Contact Us | Commercial Printing | Customer Service | NIE | Place a Classified | Subscribe

© The Northern Virginia Daily | nvdaily.com | 152 N. Holliday St., Strasburg, Va. 22657 | (800) 296-5137

nvdaily.com