Community News & Events: Dec. 9
A card shower is planned for Gilbert Reel, a World War II Marine veteran celebrating his 100th birthday Dec. 17. Cards can be sent to 38 Wilson Burke Road, Front Royal, Virginia 22630.
The SPCA of Winchester, Frederick and Clarke counties will host an open house and wine pull from 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesday featuring tours of the facility, meeting the staff and playing raffles.
The wine pull is $20 to play and every player wins. Grand prize bottle worth over $100. Information: 540-662-8616.
Winchester Trout Unlimited will host a ‘bar fly’ event at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Escutcheon Brewing, 142 W. Commercial St., Winchester.
No fly-tying or fly-fishing experience necessary. Participants are encouraged to bring their fly-tying vise and any food they wish to eat or share (no drinks).
Information: Bill at 540-722-2620.
Handley Library in Winchester will hold the following programs:
• Open chess games (all ages): 4:30-7:30 p.m., Wednesday.
A lecture on chess basics will be held at 5:30 p.m. One-on-one instruction for new players available.
• Open mic poetry night: 6-8 p.m., Wednesday.
• Research Revolutionary War ancestors: 6:30-8 p.m., Wednesday.
• Free demonstration by Music Together of Winchester: 10:30-11 a.m., Thursday.
Bowman Library in Stephens City will hold the following programs:
• Arts and crafts program (ages 8-14): 5-6 p.m., Wednesday. The program will be on homemade holiday cards. Supplies provided.
• Chess Club: 5:30-7 p.m., Thursday. Sponsor: Stephens City Chess Club.
• Game night (middle- and high-school students): 5:30-8 p.m., Friday. Chaperons present.
The Virginia Extension Service will hold a private pesticide recertification class at 6 p.m. Thursday at the Page County Extension office in Stanley. Information: 540-778-5794.
The Amateur Ham Radio Operators Club will meet at 8:30 a.m. on Thursdays at Cook’s Exxon in Woodstock. Information: Malcolm at 436-8503.
The Shenandoah County Library in Edinburg will host the following programs:
• Lego Club (ages 5-older): 4:30 p.m., Thursday.
• Visit by Santa: 6 p.m., Thursday with music, snacks and stories.
• Holiday wreath workshop (tweens and teens): 4 p.m., Friday.
The Christian Women’s Club will meet for lunch from noon to 1:30 p.m. Thursday at Shenandoah Valley Golf Club in Front Royal. The theme will be ‘Christmas traditions.’
The speaker will be Cindy Wood, of Erwin, North Carolina. The cost is $16. Free child-care provided.
Reservations: Betty at 540-622-2939 or Shirley at 540-635-4560.
Send in your events at http://www.nvdaily.com/submit-news.