Community News & Events: Feb. 26
Shenandoah County Master Gardeners will be available to answer home horticulture questions from 9 a.m. to noon Friday at the Extension office in Woodstock. Information: 459-6140.
The New Market Library will hold the following story-time programs in March:
- Books and Babies (ages birth-3): 10 a.m., Friday. The theme will be about stars. Older siblings welcome.
- The library will celebrate its annual Dr. Seuss Read Across America Day party from 5 to 6:30 p.m. Friday with face painting, making green eggs and ham, creating a Dr. Seuss hat, a birthday cake and prizes. Snow date: March 9.
- Preschool story time (ages 3-6): 10 a.m., March 16. The theme will be about stars.
Strasburg Community Library will celebrate Dr. Seuss’ birthday with a party from 4 to 5:30 p.m. Friday. Featured will be real-life Dr. Seuss characters, stories, make-your-own Cat-In-The-Hat hat, birthday cake and green eggs and ham. Information: 540-465-8464.
Handley Library in Winchester will hold the following programs for children in March:
- Dance party (babies, toddlers, preschoolers to age 5 and their grownups): 10:30 a.m., Fridays. Children should wear their favorite shoes Friday for the theme “Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes.” Southern Academy of Irish Dance will be guests for the program on March 16.
- Family Time (all ages): 10:30 a.m., Saturdays through March 24.• Preschool story time (ages 3-up): 10:30 a.m., Mondays.
- Baby Time (birth-15 months): 10:30 a.m., Tuesdays.
- Toddler Time (ages 3-under): 10:30 a.m., Thursdays.
- Play with a Sheriff (all ages): 4 p.m., March 7.
- Paws for Reading: 3 p.m., March 8 and 22.
- Tinkergarten story time (all ages): 10:30 a.m., March 31.
The following students at Randolph-Macon Academy Middle School placed in the Top 10 out of more than 60 entries for their projects in the school’s annual science fair on Feb. 9:
- Sixth grade: Sarah Starling, SapHest Slime; Audrey Nielsen, Ice is Nice; Jorina Vamboi, Super Duper Sticky Slime.
- Eighth grade: Cecilia Paredes, Musical Plants; Avatar Copper, Radioactive Decay; Minjun Choi, Rock Killer;
Matt Foreman, How Well Do Dogs Understand English;
Michael Luo, Special Indicator; Josh Fink, Rock Or Pop Yourself to Sleep; Chloe Browning, Nail Yeah!
- Alternates are Katie Reagan, sixth grade, Colorful Skittles; Shawn Starling, seventh grade, Oil On the Run; Tyler Campbell, eighth grade, Balloon Car.
They will advance to the regional science fair March 8 at James Madison University in Harrisonburg.
Send in your events at http://www.nvdaily.com/submit-news.