Community News & Events: April 3
- A card shower is planned for Gary and Jerry Stinson, who will celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary Friday. Cards can be sent to 261 Virginia St., Strasburg, Virginia 22657.
- A card shower is planned for Anna Mae Smoot, who will celebrate her 90th birthday Sunday. Cards can be sent to 2162 Headquarters Road, Edinburg, Virginia 22824.
NAMI Connection Recovery Support Group, for adults with various types of mental illnesses, will hold the following meetings:
- Front Royal: 7-8:30 p.m., today and April 18, Warren Memorial Hospital, use main entrance to conference room next to the cafeteria.
- Luray/Page County: 6:30-8 p.m., today and April 18, Page Memorial Hospital.
- Winchester: noon-1:30 p.m., Mondays at NAMI office, 411 N. Cameron St., second floor.
- Winchester: 7-8:30 p.m., Mondays at Winchester Medical Center VH System Support building, 220 Campus Blvd., Ground Floor Conference Room 1.
- Woodstock: time and location available by calling the NAMI office.
Information: 540-533-1832 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Winchester chapter of Trout Unlimited will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday at the Red Cross office, 561 Fortress Drive, Winchester. The group will gather for dinner at 5:30 p.m. at Donato’s Touch of Italy Restaurant. Tom Sadler, a professional guide and instructor, will discuss the art of Tenkara.
Information: Bill Prokopchak at 540-722-2620 or visit www.winchestertu.org.
The Hudson Crossroads Men’s Group will hold a chicken barbecue starting at 9 a.m. Saturday at the Community Center on the corner of state Routes 720 and 42.
The cost is $4 per half. Information: Jerry Dawson at 540-856-2652 or 540-481-0140.
New Hope Bible Church in Front Royal will host a Holy Yoga Experience from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday.
The cost is $15 and includes yoga practice and the Word, worship. Information: www.holyyoga.net/experience.
The Shenandoah County Landfill in Edinburg will offer free paper shredding from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday for county residents and businesses. Metal binders and clips as well as books and phone books will not be accepted.
Edinburg VFW Post 2447 will hold a chicken barbecue from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday. Pre-orders accepted.
John Adamson will present a program on barns in Shenandoah County at the meeting of the Narrow Passage chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution at 10 a.m. Saturday at Emmanuel Episcopal Church in Woodstock. Information: 856-3426.
The Stonewall Jackson High School After-Prom committee will hold fund-raising bingo starting at 11 a.m. Saturday at the New Market Fire and Rescue.
Prizes include Longaberger baskets, Thirty-One gifts and Pampered Chef items. Tickets are $20 in advance or $25 at the door.
Tickets, information: Carla Murphy at 540-975-1133, Summer Baker at 540-335-5008, Kim Moubray at 540-624-0357, Cathy Hottle at 540-975-2498, Cindy Brill at 540-335-7869 or Amber Foltz at 540-335-7252.
The Friends of Handley Regional Library will host a celebration of the 100th anniversary of “My Antonia” by Willa Cather from 2 to 5 p.m. Saturday at the library.
Guest speakers will be Ann Romines, Max Frazier and John Jacobs. Information: 540-662-9041.
Hites Chapel United Methodist Church in Middletown will hold a spaghetti dinner from 3 to 6 p.m. Saturday. The cost is $8 for adults and $5 for children under 12.
Family Promise of Shenandoah County will sponsor a steak dinner and silent auction from 4 to 7:30 p.m. Saturday at the Woodstock Moose Lodge.
There will also be a DJ and dancing. Tickets are $20 for adults and $12 for children. Information, tickets: 459-4599.
Maurertown Brethren Church will hold a pancake supper starting at 4 p.m. Saturday. A free-will offering will be accepted to benefit the Maurertown Street Light Fund.
The South Warren Ruritan Club will hold its annual spaghetti dinner from 4 to 7 p.m. Saturday at Skyline High School in Front Royal.
Tickets are $8 in advance for adults or $9 at the door; $5 for children 6-12 and free for children under 6.
There will also be musical entertainment as well as live and silent auctions. Proceeds benefit the club’s academic scholarships to Skyline and Warren County high schools.
Scott Mingus will talk about his book “The Second Battle of Winchester” at 7 p.m. Saturday at the Warren Rifle Confederate Museum in Front Royal. Information: email@example.com.
The Type 1 Diabetes Family Support Group will meet from 3 to 4:30 p.m. Saturday in Winchester.
The location is available by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Triplett Tech will hold its annual auto auction of cars, trucks and SUVs at 9:30 a.m. Saturday at 6375 Main St., Mount Jackson.
Vehicles are being sold “as is” with varying conditions, some of which are road ready.
Proceeds benefit the school’s auto tech and auto body programs. Information: 540-477-3161.
Samuels Public Library in Front Royal will hold the following programs for adults:
- Microsoft Office workshop: 2-5 p.m., Saturday.
- Genealogy workshop: 6 p.m., April 10.
- Crochet Group (all abilities): 10 a.m., April 11 and 25.
Samuels Public Library in Front Royal will hold the following children’s programs:
- Books and Barks (beginning readers and up): 10:10 a.m., Saturday.
- MOMS Club preschool fair: 2 p.m., Saturday.
Send in your events at http://www.nvdaily.com/submit-news.