Community News & Events: June 1
A card shower is planned for John Walls Orndorff, who will celebrate his 90th birthday Thursday. Cards can be sent to 746 McIlwee Lane, Star Tannery, Virginia 22654.
Samuels Public Library in Front Royal will offer the following programs for adults:
- Basic Excel class: 2 p.m., Saturday and June 23.
- Summer reading program: begins Monday.
- Movie Mondays: 5:30 p.m., showing “Black Panther.”
- Genealogy classes: 6 p.m., Wednesdays.
Samuels Public Library in Front Royal will hold the following children’s programs:
- Saturday: 10:10 a.m., Books and Barks (beginning readers); 2 p.m., Discuss This (ages 12-older).
- Monday: 10 a.m., summer reading club registration begins, meet Leonidas the Owl; 11 a.m., Reptiles Alive! show; 2-4 p.m., face painting.
- Tuesday: 11 a.m., Time for Baby (ages up to 2 years), theme is about dancing; 3:30 p.m., Science Scouts (ages 6-11), theme will be about light.
- Wednesday and Thursday: 10:15 a.m., toddler story time; 11 a.m., preschool story time.
Bowman Library in Stephens City will hold the following activities:
- Saturday: 10 a.m., open chess games; 11 a.m., kick off summer reading program, meet children’s authors Todd Strader, Camilla Akai and Marj Praml and learn about Johnny-O and the Bowman Puppets; 1 p.m., Paws for Reading with certified therapy dogs.
- Monday: 11 a.m., Toddler Time (ages 3-under); 5 p.m., Lego Club (elementary and middle school); 6 p.m., Teen Sketch and Draw (ages 12-up).
- Tuesday: 6 p.m., Storycrafters.
- Wednesday: 11 a.m. Preschool Time (ages 3-up).
Thursday: 10 a.m., LaLeche meeting; 11 a.m., Baby Time (ages 0-15 months); 5 p.m., X-box open game play (ages 8-up).
The Hudson Cross Roads Men’s Group will hold a chicken barbecue starting at 9 a.m. Saturday at Hudson Cross Roads. The cost is $4 per half.
The Lord Fairfax Soil Water Conservation District will host a planting day from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Sunday at the Strasburg Community Garden, 295 Park Road.
The Woodstock-Edinburg Adult Active Fellowship will hold a covered-dish picnic Monday at the Edinburg Town Park. Lunch will be served at noon. Entertainment will follow the meal.
Those attending are asked to bring a non-perishable item for the food pantry. Information: Shenandoah County Parks and Recreation at 459-6777.
Handley Library in Winchester will hold the following activities:
- Today: 10:30 a.m., family story time; 11 a.m., Lego Club meeting.
- Monday: 10:30 a.m., Preschool Time (ages 3-up).
- Tuesday: 10:30 a.m., Community Connections social hour; 10:30 a.m., Baby Time (ages 0-15 months); 6:30 p.m., teen trivia night (middle and high-school students); 6:30 p.m., bilingual story time.
- Wednesday: 10:30 a.m., The Latch Circle meeting for breast-feeding mothers, information Jessica at 540-722-3470; 4 p.m., Build with a Sheriff; 6:30 p.m., tours of the library, reservations requested.
- Thursday: 10:30 a.m., Toddler Time (ages 3-under); 6 p.m., Graphic Novel Writer’s Society (ages 12-up).
Clarke County Library in Berryville will hold the following activities:
- Tuesday: 10:30 a.m., Preschool Time (ages 3-up).
- Thursday: 4 p.m., Lego Club (elementary and middle school).
The Shenandoah County Extension office has announced the following meetings will be held:
- Seven Bends 4-H Shooting Education Club will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday at Round Hill Church of the Brethren in Toms Brook.
- 4-H Goat Club will meet at 7 p.m. Wednesday at the American Legion Post in Woodstock.
Turner Ashby chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy will hold a Confederate Memorial Day service at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Stonewall Cemetery located within the Mt. Hebron Cemetery.
The guest speaker will be Stephen Lee Ritchie, staff historian for the Civil War Education Association in Winchester. The Tuscarora Brass Band will provide special music. Event held rain or shine.
Antioch Church of the Brethren in Edinburg will host Ivan Parker in concert at 7 p.m. Wednesday. No tickets required but donations accepted. Information: 984-4359 or 540-333-1129.
Barns of Rose Hill in Berryville will host classes in music this month for ages 10 months to 12 years. There will be four weekly classes for four different ages groups on Wednesday and June 13, 20 and 27.
The fee for all four sessions for each age group is $100; walk-ins welcome at $30 a class. Information, registration: 540-955-2004 or www.barnsofrosehill.org.
Send in your events at http://www.nvdaily.com/submit-news.