Community News & Events: June 28
A card shower is planned for Mary Rinker Compton, who will celebrate her 90th birthday Sunday. Her address is 445 N. Water St., Apt. 5, Woodstock, Virginia 22664.
The Winchester Medical Center will host a blood drive from noon to 4 p.m. Sunday at the MOB 1 Conference Center. Walk-ins welcome, but appointments are encouraged at www.donateblood.vablood.org.
The following volunteers are scheduled at the Strasburg Museum:
Sunday: morning, Sue Foster; afternoon, Gloria Stickley.
Monday: morning, Jackie Richard; afternoon, Carolyn McKiernan and Hannalore Rehbein.
Tuesday: morning and afternoon, Ibby Stratton.
Wednesday: morning, John Adamson; afternoon, Margo.
Thursday: morning and afternoon, Conly and Tina Crabill.
Friday: morning, Mary and Howard Paige; afternoon, Hope Brim.
Saturday: morning, Pat Miller and Gladys Ritenour;
afternoon, Margo and Lynn.
Eight members of the Strasburg FFA chapter competed at the state FFA convention June 18-21 at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg. Team results are:
- Agricultural sales team members Amber Gessner, Madison Herman, Allyson Neal and Shelby Smith placed seventh overall.
- Computer application: Aidan Keller received a silver rating.
- Employment skills: Makenzie Kline placed fourth overall.
- Proficiency Award winners: Tiffany Heishman, agricultural education; Abbey Rinker, equine placement; Makenzie Kline, small animal production and care. Their applications will advance to national judging in August.
- Nathan McDonald was selected to serve as vice president on the state FFA officer team.
- The chapter also had two members receive their state FFA degrees, one member was recognized and will receive the American FFA degree in October.
- The chapter received a gold rating for its scrapbook; a gold rating for the Superior Chapter Award, was recognized as a three-star chapter in Virginia, was one of the top 18 chapters in the state and will be judged at the national level in October.
Send in your events at http://www.nvdaily.com/submit-news.