Community News & Events: July 10
The Apple Valley Needle Threaders Quilt Club will meet from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Thursday at the Clarke County Parks and Recreation Center, 225 Al Smith Circle, Berryville.
Pam Pampe will present a program about the American Quilt Study Group and talk about preserving old quilts. Information: Linda at 501-310-3316.
The Shenandoah County Extension office in Woodstock has announced the following activities are planned:
- Little North Mountain 4-H Shooting Education Club will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday at Liberty Baptist Church in Strasburg.
- 4-H/FFA cattle trimming will be held starting at 8 a.m. Saturday in the old show barn at the county fairgrounds. Appointments required.
Samuels Public Library in Front Royal will host the following programs:
- Friday: 2 p.m., Teen Poetry Slam (ages 12-up), hors d’oeuvres served.
- Saturday: 11 a.m., Future Einsteins (ages 6-11); 2 p.m., Teen Chess and More.
Stories in Park
The Clarke County Library will host Stories in the Park at 10 a.m. Saturday in Rose Hill Park, Berryville (weather permitting). Information: 540-955-5144.
The churches of the Mt. View Parish, St. Luke and Mt. Zion Lutheran, will host an ice cream social starting at 4 p.m. Saturday at the St. Luke Community Center.
Proceeds benefit Good Shepherd, a program of Shenandoah Valley Lutheran Ministries that provides aid to the elderly.
Walnut Springs Christian Church will hold a yard party from 4 to 6 p.m. Saturday at 1905 Oranda Road, Strasburg. Live music by Lion of Judah. Dinners available for carryout.
The Fort Valley Fire Department will host bingo at 6 p.m. Saturday. Food ready for purchase starting at 5:30 p.m. Information: www.fortvalleyfiredepartment.com.
Sing Shenandoah, a chorus of Sweet Adelines, will host a yard sale from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at the Front Royal Church of the Brethren, 106 W. 13th St.
Samuels Public Library in Front Royal will hold an altered books workshop “Book Planters” as part of its adult summer reading program at 10 a.m. Saturday. Those attending will learn how to make a planter using old discarded books. Information: 540-635-3153.
The Gertie S. Dellinger family will hold a reunion starting at 1 p.m. Sunday at the Rotary shelter in W.O. Riley Park, Woodstock. Those attending are asked to bring a covered dish and an item for the prize walk.
The Elva and Martin Bauserman Sr. families will hold a reunion Sunday at the Mt. Olive Parish House. Lunch will be served at 1 p.m. Those attending are asked to bring a covered dish. Eating utensils furnished.
The annual Markley-Hottel family reunion will be held starting at 11 a.m. Sunday at the “Hotteltown” homestead in Edinburg. Lunch served at 1 p.m. Information: 540-984-8881.
Handley Library in Winchester will hold the following activities:
- Monday: 2 p.m., Fun with Animal Folktales; 6 p.m., Graphic Novel Club (ages 12-up); 6:30 p.m., Nonfiction Writers Group meeting.
- Tuesday: 1 p.m., visit by the Winchester Royals Baseball Team; 6:30 p.m., teen trivia night.
- July 18: 10:30 a.m., KidSTEAM (ages 3-6), registration required; 1 p.m., Sound of Science with the Maryland Science Center (ages 6-11); 2:30 p.m., STEAM Works with the Maryland Science Center (ages 6-11), registration required; 4 p.m., Play with a Sheriff.• July 20: noon, Cooking Takes You Everywhere (ages 8-up), registration required; 2 p.m., Crafternoons (ages 6-11), registration required; 4 p.m., Lego Club.• July 21: 10:30 a.m., family story time; 11 a.m., Lego Club; 1 p.m., behind-the-scenes library tour; 2 p.m., Paws for Reading with certified therapy dogs.
Bowman Library in Stephens City will hold the following activities:
- Monday: 1 p.m., visit by the Winchester Royals Baseball Team; 5 p.m., Lego Club (elementary- and middle-school students); 6 p.m., teen sketch and draw (ages 12-up).• July 17: 11 a.m. and 2 p.m., Fun with Animal Folktales; 6 p.m., Storycrafters.• July 18: 2 p.m., iTiger Tae Kwon Do demonstration with Master Ki; 5 p.m., Nature Surprises for Kids (ages 8-up); 6 p.m., Bull and Bear Club for adults.
• July 19: 5 p.m., Xbox open game play (ages 8-up).
• July 20: 11:30 a.m., Build Together; 2 p.m., Xbox open game play (ages 8-up).
• July 21: 10 a.m., chess (all ages and skill levels); 11 a.m., family story time; 1 p.m., family film “Mulan,” bring picnic lunch, popcorn and lemonade provided.
The Clarke County Library in Berryville will hold the following activities:
- Monday: 10:30 a.m., Fun with Animal Folktales.• July 18: 2 p.m., Wildlife Ambassadors visit with live tropical birds.• July 19: 4 p.m., Lego Club (elementary- and middle- school students).
Samuels Public Library in Front Royal was awarded a $4,562.97 grant on June 25 by the Rotary Club of Warren County.
The grant was used to support the library’s annual winter reading club, which ran twice its normal length, provided programs for children and teens and awarded prizes to those who reached their weekly reading goals.
Twice the number of children participated from previous years and over 9,600 books were read during that two-month period. A puppet show, two magic shows and an animal show filled the library’s program room to capacity.
Send in your events at http://www.nvdaily.com/submit-news.