Community News & Events: July 3
A card shower is planned for Charlotte Stepp, who will celebrate her 90th birthday Monday. Cards can be sent to 315 Meghann Drive, Woodstock, Virginia 22664.
The Linden United Methodist Church will hold a yard sale (rain or shine) from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday and Saturday at the church.
The Columbia Furnace Community Club will sell chicken barbecue starting at 9 a.m. Saturday at Woodstock Sew & Vac, The Store at Basye and Larkin’s Grocery in Edinburg.
The Front Royal Challengers Baseball Team will hold a car-wash fundraiser from 9 a.m. to noon Saturday at Advance Auto Parts, 28 N. Commerce Ave., Front Royal. Donations will be accepted, and there will be a $3 hot dog combo. Money raised will help players attend the Challenger Jamboree next May.
The Fort Valley Ruritan Club will host a blood drive from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at the fire department.
The blood drive is being held in honor of Pete King and Jim Trott. Walk-ins welcome, but appointments are encouraged and www.donateblood.vablood.org.
Samuels Public Library in Front Royal will hold the following activities Saturday for children:
- Books and Barks (beginner readers): 10:10 a.m. Children will read with a trained therapy dog.
- Discuss This (ages 12-up): 2 p.m.
The Basye/Orkney Springs Community Library will hold its last book sale of the year from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday. The library is located in the airport building on Resort Road at Bryce Resort in Basye.
The Clarke County Library will hold Stories in the Park at 10 a.m. Saturday in Rose Hill Park in Berryville (weather permitting). Information: 540-955-5144.
The New Market Chamber of Commerce will sponsor an open market from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday in the SunTrust parking lot.
The market features vendors with antiques, specialty foods, arts and crafts and fresh produce. There will also be an activity for the children. The market is open the first Saturday of the month through December. Information: 740-3212.
Monday is the deadline to register to attend the Outdoor Adventure Camp from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. July 16-19 in Strasburg for ages 9 to 13.
Children will learn about the Shenandoah River, gardens, wildlife and forestry with games, crafts and swimming.
The cost is $50. The camp is sponsored by the Shenandoah County Extension office and Department of Parks and Recreation. Information: www.scpr.info.
Students at Strasburg High and Signal Knob Middle schools attended the state FFA convention June 18-21 at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg. Results for each school are:
Strasburg High School
- Nathan McDonald was selected to serve as vice president on the state FFA Officer Team for 2018-2019.
- The agricultural sales team was named seventh in the state. Teammates are Amber Gessner, Madison Herman, Allyson Neal and Shelby Smith.
- Computer applications: Aidan Keller, silver medal.
- Employment skills: Makenzie Kline, fourth in state.
- State proficiency winners: Tiffany Heishman, agricultural education; Abbey Rinker, equine placement; Makenzie Kline, small animal production and care. They will advance to the national competition.
- State FFA Degrees were awarded to Tiffany Heishmanand and Abbey Rinker.
- American FFA degree candidate: Nathan McDonald.
Chapter recognitions were: scrapbook, silver; Superior Chapter Award, gold; named a three-star chapter in Virginia and one of the Top 18 chapters in the state to be judged at the national level in October.
Signal Knob Middle School
- The chapter’s food and fiber team placed second in the state. Teammates are Braden Stern, Shalyn Keeler and Rebekah Gooding – all received a gold medal; Hannah Fisher, bronze.
- Small animal care team: Shalyn Keeler, gold, and seventh-high individual; Danielle Rinker, gold; Kenasyn Hough, silver; Sarah Terry, bronze.
- Agriscience mechanics team: Lane Stephens and Jaydon Williams, silver; Rebekah Gooding and Grace Reynolds, bronze.
- Quiz Bowl team: Sarah Terry and Danielle Rinker, silver;
- Jaydon Williams and Grace Reynolds, bronze.
Chapter delegates were Shalyn Keeler, Danielle Rinker, Grace Reynolds and Sarah Terry.
The chapter’s scrapbook earned a bronze rating.
Send in your events at http://www.nvdaily.com/submit-news.