Community News & Events: Aug. 7
A card shower is planned for Rae Sneed, who will celebrate her 88th birthday Saturday. Cards can be sent to 235 Walton St., Strasburg, Virginia 22657.
National Night Out
Here is a list of area National Night Out events being held today:
- Front Royal: 6-9 p.m. at the Gazebo, featuring exhibits and demonstrations centered on safety awareness, crime and drug prevention activities, entertainment by Souled Out, refreshments.
- New Market: 6-8 p.m. at the town’s community park. Special guests, kid’s activities, bounce house, pedal cars, games, safety education, music, free food and drinks, door prizes.
- Middletown: 6-8 p.m., at Lord Fairfax Community College. Helicopter demonstration from PHI Air Care, Police K9 demonstrations, live entertainment, food.
- Mount Jackson: 5-8 p.m., at Mayor’s Park beside Town Hall. Food, games, music.
- Winchester: 6-9 p.m., on the Loudoun Street Mall in front of the Old Courthouse Museum. Free food and drinks.
- Woodstock: 5:30-8:30 p.m., town police will visit Woodstock Village, Echo Mountain, The Ridge and Valley Vista apartment complexes to interact with the kids.
Sustainability Matters will partner with the White House Farm Foundation to celebrate Shenandoah Valley history from 9 to 11 a.m. Saturday at 1917 Kauffmann’s Mill Road, Luray.
The group will discuss historic Virginia garden designs, crops of early European settlers, food storage techniques and the importance of saving seeds.
The workshop is free but registration is requested by emailing email@example.com.
Shenandoah Valley Baptist Church will be participating in the Route 11 Yard Crawl from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday in the gym at 4699 Valley Pike, Stephens City. Donations (no clothes) may be dropped off by Friday.
Samuels Public Library in Front Royal will hold the following programs:
- Friday: 11 a.m., Impressions Theatre will present the New Adventures of Tom Sawyer.
- Saturday: 10 a.m., altered books workshop for adults; 2 p.m., Aspiring Artists meeting making sculptures using recycled materials, for ages 7 to 11.
Bowman Library in Stephens City will hold its summer reading program finale from 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday featuring prizes, surprises and live music from by Jim Gill.
The following family reunions will be held this weekend:
- The Shrum family will hold a reunion from 5 to 8 p.m. Saturday at the Hepner-Shrum river lot off Cemetery Road in Woodstock. Barbecue and paper goods provided. Those attending are asked to bring a dish to share.
- The Bemis family will hold a reunion at 5 p.m. Sunday at the Rotary shelter at W.O. Riley Park in Woodstock. Those attending are asked to bring a covered dish and beverage. Paper products provided.
The Fort Valley Fire Department will host bingo at 6 p.m. Saturday. Food will be sold starting at 5:30 p.m. Information: www.fortvalleyfiredepartment.com.
The Friends of Handley Library will host a book signing by local author Tracey White at 2 p.m. Saturday. Her most recent book, “A Gangster’s Bestfriend,” is a romance based on true events in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Information: 540-662-9041.
The Warren County Democratic Committee will meet at 11 a.m. Saturday at the Team Waller office at 213 E. Main St. Front Royal.
Gravel Springs Lutheran Church in Star Tannery will host its annual picnic from noon to 9 p.m. Saturday.
Dinners will be a choice of fried chicken or country ham. Barbecued chicken will be available at 4:30 p.m. The bluegrass band Five of a Kind will perform from 2 to 6 p.m. There will also be an auction of pies and cakes. Bring lawn chairs. Event held rain or shine. Proceeds benefit church maintenance.
The Winchester chapter of Harley Owners Group will sponsor a bloodmobile from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at Grove’s Winchester Harley Davidson.
Walk-ins welcome, but appointments are encouraged at www.donateblood.vablood.org.
Midshipman Galen Rohr recently completed Sea Year training at the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, New York. Rohr was nominated to attend the academy by former President Barack Obama.
Rohr spent one year training aboard ocean-going vessels, traveling to the Middle East, Europe, Asia, Africa, Central America, Hawaii and the U.S. East Coast aboard the USNS Walter Diehl, USNS Stockham and the M/V Liberty Passion.
He earned both a bachelor of science degree and a Merchant Marine Officer license. He will serve as an active or reserve officer in the U.S. Armed Forces.
Rohr, a graduate of Chelsea Academy, in Front Royal, is the son of Cynthia and David Rohr, of Fort Valley.
Send in your events at http://www.nvdaily.com/submit-news.