Community News & Events: Sept. 5
The Winchester chapter of Trout Unlimited will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday at the Red Cross office, 561 Fortress Drive, Winchester.
The group will gather for dinner at 5:30 p.m. at Donato’s Touch of Italy Restaurant. Information: Bill Prokopchak at 540-722-2620 or visit www.winchestertu.org.
The Friends of Handley Regional Library will host the workshop “Screenwriting Tips on a Budget” from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at the library as part of the Skyline Indie Film Fest.
Those attending will learn how to write a screenplay that a director and producer see as innovative and inexpensive at the same time. Information: 540-662-9041.
- Hites Chapel United Methodist Church in Middletown will hold its annual pulled pork barbecue dinner from 2 to 6 p.m. Saturday. The cost is $10 for adults and $5 for children 12 and under.• Saturday is the deadline to purchase tickets for the Mount Jackson Rescue and Fire Department’s steak dinner from 4 to 7 p.m. Sept. 15. The cost is $16 per ticket. Child’s meals are available. Information: 477-2490.
- The Strasburg High School class of 1966 will hold a mini class reunion from 5 to 9 p.m. Saturday at the Queen Street Diner.• The Bowers family reunion will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at Zion Lutheran Church in Edinburg. Those attending are asked to bring a covered dish and family photos. Tea, lemonade and paper products provided.
- The Cameron family reunion will be held at 1 p.m. Sunday at the Ruritan picnic area in Hume. Those attending are asked to bring a covered dish and drinks.• The Cook family reunion will be held at 1 p.m. Sunday at St. Luke Brethren Church, 3250 Back Road, Woodstock. Those attending are asked to bring a covered dish. Paper products provided.
The Strasburg Museum will host a Children’s Day from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday with free admission.
Activities include barrel train rides, pottery demonstrations, corn kernel play bin, baggage car mini-train activity and, while supplies last, a free activity booklet about Strasburg history, a mini First Aid kit and police handouts. Strasburg High School art students will give free face paintings.
Connie’s Crusaders Relay for Life Team will hold a craft show and flea market from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at Front Royal Church of the Brethren. Lunch will also be available.
Riverton United Methodist Church in Front Royal will hold a pancake breakfast from 7 to 11 a.m. Saturday. An offering will be accepted.
The Fort Valley Fire Department will host bingo at 6 p.m. Saturday. Food will be available to purchase starting at 5:30 p.m. Information: www.fortvalleyfiredepartment.com.
A rummage sale will be held from 7 a.m. to noon Saturday at St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church in Mount Jackson. Featured will be household goods, clothing, tools, books, furniture and CDs. Proceeds benefit community outreach programs.
Samuels Public Library in Front Royal will hold the following children’s programs:
- Anime Club (ages 12-up): 2 p.m., Saturday.
- Science Scouts (ages 6-11): 4:30 p.m., Tuesday, the theme will be about mazes.
Information: 540-635-3153 or www.samuelslibrary.net.
The Shenandoah County Extension office in Woodstock has scheduled the following meetings:
- Fort Valley 4-H Club and Cloverbuds will meet at 4:30 p.m. Sunday at the community center.
- Toms Brook 4-H Club and Cloverbuds will meet at 6 p.m. Sunday at the United Methodist Church.
- New Market 4-H Club and Cloverbuds will meet at 6 p.m. Monday at Reformation Lutheran Church.
- St. Luke-Saumsville 4-H will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday at Saumsville Christian Church.
- 4-H Livestock Club will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday at Wakemans Grove Church of the Brethren.
The NAMI Family and Friends Support Group, a support group for family, friends, and caregivers of adults with various types of mental illness, will meet from 2:30 to 4 p.m. Sunday at 411 N. Cameron St., Winchester. Information: 540-533-1832 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The annual Fill the Wagon Campaign will be held from noon to 3 p.m. Sunday at Zion Lutheran Church in Edinburg, Mt. Zion Lutheran in Woodstock and St. Paul’s Lutheran in Strasburg.
The fundraiser collects food items to benefit Luke’s Backpack, a ministry of Shenandoah Valley Lutheran Ministries.
Monetary donations and gift cards will also be accepted. All donated items will be used to fill backpacks for Shenandoah County school children.
Information: 540-481-6237. A list of requested items is available at www.svlm.org.
Send in your events at http://www.nvdaily.com/submit-news.