This Weekend: Sept. 8
The following are some of the area events that will be held this weekend:
John Richards and The Virginians will perform at Woodstock ROCS from 7 to 9 p.m. today at W.O. Riley Park.
Food available starting at 6 p.m. Admission is free. Those attending should bring lawn chairs and/or blankets.
The Martin Brothers and Aspen Run will close out the Town of New Market’s Summer Music Series, Cross Roads Fest, from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. today at the Rebel Baseball Park.
Those attending are encouraged to bring a blanket or chair. There will be food sold and a beer and wine garden. Admission is free. Information: 740-3432 or visit www.NewMarketVirginia.com.
The Museum of the Shenandoah Valley will hold the following programs this weekend at 901 Amherst St., Winchester:
• Concert: 6-9 p.m., today featuring tribute band Alter Eagles. Tickets: $10.
• Garden Theatre: 4-7:30 p.m., Sunday featuring a Civil War twist on Shakespeare’s “As You Like It.” Tickets: $5-$15.
Information: 540-662-1473 or www.themsv.org.
The Valley Educational Center for the Creative Arts will hold its membership art show and sale from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays starting today at the Shenandoah County Government Building, 600 N. Main St., Woodstock. Information: Donna Patton at 459-4226.
Winchester Little Theatre
Winchester Little Theatre will present “Breath of Spring” at 8 p.m. today and Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday at 315 W. Boscawen St., Winchester.
Future performances will be 8 p.m. Sept. 14-17. Tickets: $15.50 to $19.75.
Information: 540-662-3331 or Valerie O’Keefe at 540-336-2357 or www.wltonline.org.
Skyline Indie Film Fest
The Skyline Indie Film Fest will be held today through Sunday in downtown Winchester.
Films, times and locations: www.skylineindiefilmfest.org.
The Telegraph Quartet, winner of the 2016 Naumburg Chamber Music Competition, will perform at 8 p.m. Saturday at Shenandoah University in Goodson Chapel Recital Hall, Winchester.
Tickets: $12-$28. Information: 540-665-4569.
FROG (Families Reach Out Group), a nonprofit that provides clothing, toys, school supplies, baby supplies, furniture and more to foster children, children at risk and children in need and their families, will hold its annual AbNormal Formal from 7:23 to 11:23 p.m. Saturday at Piccadilly Public House and Restaurant in Winchester. The theme this year is “Under the Tuscan Moon.”
There will be a full bar, entertainment by Revolution and silent and live auctions.
Tickets are $75 per person. Information, tickets: www.Frog-Kids.org.
The Rouss Center for the Arts will celebrate its first anniversary with a dance from 7 to 11 p.m. Saturday at 9357 N. Congress St., New Market.
Those attending are encouraged to dress as in the 1980s. A donation of $10 per person is requested. Information: 888-341-7313 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Belle Grove Plantation, off state Route 11 south of Middletown, will hold the following events Saturday:
• P. Buckley Moss signing: 10 a.m.-3 p.m., of her latest Belle Grove print.
• Dinner Series: 6-9 p.m., featuring international wine tastings with Coe Sherrard of the Woodstock Café. Tickets: $75 per person or $140 per couple.
Information: 540-869-2028 or www.bellegrove.org.
Selah Theatre Project
The Fly Birds, a trio featuring Elizabeth Baker and Mary Dunlap on banjo and bass and Sarah Twigg on guitar, will perform from 7 to 10 p.m. Saturday at Selah Theatre Project, 30 E. 8th St., Front Royal.
Tickets are $10. Information: 540-686-5185.
Bright Box Theater has announced the following line-up this weekend at 15 N. Loudoun St., Winchester:
• People’s Blues of Richmond, Sono Lumini and On The 1, Valley Fusion Festival pre-party: 8-11 p.m. today. Tickets: $12 in advance, $15 at door.
• Skyline Indie Film Fest: 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Saturday. Tickets: $10.
• DIVAS Drag Show: 7 and 10 p.m., Saturday. Tickets: $20-$30.
• Classic Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre: 5:30 p.m., Sunday. Featuring “Exit Stage Death.” Tickets: $25 for the show only, dinner extra.
Information: 540-665-2878, www.brightboxwinchester.com.
The following performances will be held this weekend at the Forbes Center for the Performing Arts at James Madison University in Harrisonburg:
• New Dance Festival featuring Christopher K. Morgan & Artists will perform at 8 p.m. today and Saturday at Mainstage Theatre. Tickets: $13-$18.
• Soprano Hein Jung concert has been canceled.
• Pianist Paulo Steinberg will perform at 8 p.m. Saturday in the Recital Hall. Tickets: $5-$11.
• Jazz pianist Frank Kimbrough will perform at 7 p.m. Sunday in the Recital Hall. Tickets: $8-$13.
Information, tickets: 540-568-4394.
Barns of Rose Hill
Barns of Rose Hill will hold the following events this weekend at 95 Chalmers Court, Berryville:
• A free reception opening the Wetlands Sculpture exhibit featuring Sally Myers will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. Saturday. The exhibit will be on display through Sept. 27.
• The documentary film “The Million Dollar Duck” will be shown from 7 to 9 p.m. Saturday. The film focuses on the only juried, art competition run by the U.S. government, the Federal Duck Stamp contest. Tickets are $5.
• A book release presentation of Alicia Cahalane Lewis and Winslow McCagg’s new book “nebulous beginnings and strings” will be held at 4 p.m. Sunday. Attendance is free.
Information: 540-955-2004 or www.barnsofrosehill.com.
The Virginia Outdoors Festival is partnering with the White House Farm Foundation to host an outdoors festival from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at 1917 Kauffmans Mill Road, Luray.
Activities include guided river walks along the South Fork Shenandoah River, guided tours of the historic White House (one of Page County’s oldest buildings), a native plant sale, native wildlife presentation by the Luray Zoo, canoe rides, games for kids, presentations and exhibits by local conservation groups and natural resource agencies and food.
Paws on the Plaza
The annual Paws on the Plaza will be held at 5 p.m. Saturday at Performing Arts Luray on Main Street.
Featured will be Ringling Bros. Barnum & Bailey Circus veteran Johnny Peers and the Muttville Comix performing magic and circus tricks.
Admission is $2. Tickets: https://app.arts-people.com/index.php?ticketing=pal.
The Autumn Days Festival and Craft Show will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday on Main Street, Broadway.
Featured will be local crafters, musicians, antiques, food and more. Information: 540-896-4992.