This Weekend: Nov. 17
The following are some of the area events that will be held this weekend:
The Blue Ridge Arts Council will present “Deck the Halls” starting at 7 p.m. today at 305 E. Main St., Front Royal.
Tree and wreath sales begin at 7 p.m., a live auction starts at 8 p.m. and the silent auction concludes the event at 8:30 p.m. Admission is $10.
The Arts Council will also have a new kid’s activity, “Holly Jolly Saturday” from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday with a visit with Santa and creating a holiday craft. Admission is $10.
Information: 540-635-9909 or www.blueridgearts.org.
Shenandoah Alliance for Shelter will hold its annual Empty Bowl Soup Supper from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. today at Central High School in Woodstock.
Tickets are $35 for adults and $20 for ages 18 and younger. Tickets may be purchased online at www.allianceforshelter.org, at the Woodstock Café, Sager Real Estate in Strasburg, Edinburg Mill, the Community Store in Basye and at the SAS office on Lawyer’s Row, Woodstock.
An open mic event will be held at 7 p.m. Saturday at the What Matters space on Main Street in Front Royal to benefit Roof Over Their Heads (ROTH), a group that aims to end homelessness in Warren County.
Performers include musicians Noah Waggener, Mike Shotton and Rafe Ruggierio, poet Alan King, fiction writer Missi Magalis, the Selah Theatre Troupe, and many others. There will also be spots available for walk-on performers. Admission is free but donations are encouraged. There will also be food and a variety of raffle items. Information: www.facebook.com/groups/ROTHofFR.
The Museum of the Shenandoah Valley will host the Virginia Gourd show and sale from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at 901 Amherst St., Winchester.
Free admission. Information: 540-662-1473 or www.themsv.org.
The Shenandoah Conservatory at Shenandoah University will hold the following programs:
• Virago: 8 p.m., today featuring senior dance students in Shingleton Dance Space, free but donations accepted.
• Flute Ensemble free fall concert: 5 p.m., Saturday in Goodson Chapel Recital Hall.
• Alexander Bernstein concert: 3 p.m., Sunday in Armstrong Concert Hall. Tickets: $25 for adults, $23 for seniors and $12 for students.
Sky Meadows State Park in Delaplane will host the following programs this weekend:
• Revolutionary War living history March of Prisoners program: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sunday featuring the 2nd Virginia Regiment.
• Astronomy for Everyone: 4:30-9 p.m., Saturday. Activities include a 30-minute Junior Astronomer program for ages 5 to 12 led by volunteer Ambassadors of NASA’s Jet Propulsion Lab as well as a presentation on the latest in U.S. space research; “sky tour” as well as a look into deep space. No admission after 5:30 p.m. Parking is $5 per vehicle. Information: 540-592-3556.
Bright Box Theater will host two concerts, a comedian and a gospel brunch this weekend at 15 N. Loudoun St., Winchester:
• Today: 8 p.m., Revelator Hill playing Derek and the Dominos with Hambone Wilson Band. Tickets: $12 in advance, $15 at door.
• Saturday: 8 p.m., Hackensaw Boys with Circus No. 9. Tickets: $15 in advance, $20 at door.
• Saturday (upstairs): 7 p.m., comedian and hypnotist Gary Conrad performing all-ages Thanksgiving-themed show; 9:30 p.m., adult show. Tickets: $8 in advance, $10 at door.
• Sunday: 1 p.m., concert featuring Harambee Gospel Choir and brunch. The concert is free. Brunch is a $10 food/drink minimum per person.
Information: 540-665-2878, www.brightboxwinchester.com.
The Christendom College Players will present the classic horror thriller “Dracula” at 8 p.m. today through Sunday with a 3 p.m. matinee performance Sunday at Warren County High School. May not be suitable for children under 12. Information: 540-636-2900 ext. 1390 or 1327.
Barns of Rose Hill
Barns of Rose Hill will host the following programs this weekend at 95 Chalmers Court, Berryville:
• The Jason Masi Band will perform at 8 p.m. Saturday with local singer and songwriter Julia Kasdorf and her husband, Lynn, opening the concert. Tickets: $15 in advance, $20 at the door, free for ages 12 and under.
• “Things to Come,” a French film with English subtitles, will be shown at 4 p.m. Sunday. Tickets: $8 or $5 for Theater, MSV and Barns of Rose Hill members.
Information: 540-955-2004 or www.barnsofrosehill.com.
Selah Theatre Project will present “A Little Princess” at 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. Saturday and 4 p.m. Sunday at 30 E. 8th St., Front Royal.
Tickets are $12 online, $15 at the door and $8 and $10 for students and seniors. Information: 540-686-5185 or www.selahtheatreproject.org.
The Inspirata Theatre Co. will present Christopher Marlowe’s classic drama “Faustus” at 8 p.m. today and Saturday in Robinson Auditorium at Handley Library.
Winchester Little Theatre will present “Jane Eyre-the Musical” at 8 p.m. today and Saturday and 2 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at 315 W. Boscawen St., Winchester.
Tickets: $15.50-$19.75. Future performances will be held Nov. 24-25. Information: 540-662-3331, www.wltonline.org.
‘Annie Get Your Gun’
St. John’s Drama at Skyline High School in Front Royal will present “Annie Get Your Gun” at 7:30 p.m. today and Saturday and 3 p.m. Sunday.
Tickets are $8 for adults and $5 for children 3 and older, students and seniors. A family rate is offered on Sundays.
The Schultz Theatre & School of Performing Arts will present “Nunsense” at 7 p.m. today and Saturday and 3 p.m. Sunday at the J. Frank Hillyard Auditorium, 226 Hawks Hill Drive, Broadway.
Tickets are $15 for adults and $13 for students and seniors. Information: 540-896-9600 or www.schultztheatre.com.
The Rouse Center for the Arts in New Market will present “Family Ties and Little White Lies” at 7 p.m. today and Saturday and 3 p.m. Sunday.
Today and Saturday are dinner theater performances starting at 6:30 p.m. For the Sunday matinee, desserts will be served at 2:30 p.m.
Tickets are $25. Information, tickets: 888-341-7313 or email@example.com.
Perrforming Arts Luray will sponsor a poetry slam featuring the creative writing students at Luray High School at 7 p.m. Saturday at the Plaza in downtown Luray.
Tickets range from $8 to $15. Information, tickets: 540-743-3311 or www.performingartsluray.org.
Arts Council of the Valley will host a prerecorded screening of the Royal Opera House’s “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland” at 12:30 p.m. Sunday at 311 S. Main St., Harrisonburg.
Tickets are $14 for adults, $12 for seniors and $10 for students. Information: 540-433-9189, 540-801-8779 or www.valleyarts.org.