Community News & Events: June 1
A card shower is planned for Evelyn Moomaw, who will celebrate her 90th birthday June 8. Cards can be sent to P.O. Box 7, Orkney Springs, Virginia 22845.
Relay for Life of Shenandoah County will hold a Carnival for a Cure from 6 p.m. Friday through 6 a.m. Saturday at the Massanutten Military Academy track in Woodstock.
A luminaria ceremony will be held at 9 p.m. Activities include live music, Mr. Relay competition, lip sync battle, food and more. The group has a goal to walk 4,630 laps during the event.
Information: 540-434-3360 ext. 3 or visit www.relayforlife.org/shenandoahva.
The Luray Fire Department will hold its annual East Coast/Lucas Oil Truck/Tractor Pull at 4 p.m. Saturday at the Page Valley Fairgrounds. Rain date is 2 p.m. June 4. Information: 540-742-9229.
Laurel Hill Christian Church will hold bingo from 7 to 10 p.m. Friday at 378 Laurel Hill Way, Strasburg.
Admission is $3 and covers snacks. Cards are 25 cents each. Proceeds benefit Shelby Smith to attend the FFA state convention.
A chicken barbecue to benefit the 1st Church of Columbia Furnace will start at 8:30 a.m. Saturday at Tractor Supply in Woodstock.
Cool Spring Church of God in Browntown will hold vacation Bible school from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. The theme is “Over the Moat.”
Information: 540-622-3394 or 540-635-8160.
Monday is the deadline to register for the ServSafe Manager’s Course sponsored by the Frederick County Extension office from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. June 21 and 23 at MidAtlantic Farm Credit in Winchester.
The cost is $150. Groups of 10 or more pay a reduced rate.
Information, registration: 540-665-5699 or www.offices.ext.vt.edu/frederick/programs/fcs/index.html.
Samuels Public Library has announced the following programs will be offered:
• Summer reading program: begins Friday. Theme: Reading by Design. Special kick-off Monday with prizes given to first 100 children to sign up. Leonidas the owl will be on hand, face painting begins at 11 a.m., magic show at 2 p.m. Awards and prizes given weekly.
• Time for Baby story time: 11 a.m., Tuesday. Theme: “Happy Birthday to You!” Siblings welcome.
• The Maker Club (school-aged children): 3:30 p.m., Tuesday, camping theme.
• Toddler story time: 10:15 a.m., Wednesday and Thursday. Theme: “Happy Birthday to You!” Siblings welcome.
• Preschool story time: 11 a.m., Wednesday and Thursday. Theme: “Happy Birthday to You!” Siblings welcome.
• Learn to write computer programs: 6 p.m., starts June 13, six weeks. Registration required.
Information, registration: 540-635-3153 or www.samuelslibrary.net.
Send in your events at http://www.nvdaily.com/submit-news.