Community News & Events: June 9
- A card shower is planned for Peggy Gleaton, who will celebrate her 85th birthday June 14. Cards can be sent to 45 Hailey Lane, #2, Strasburg, Virginia 22657.
- A card shower is planned for Sterling and Beverly Ammons, who will celebrate their 67th wedding anniversary June 16. Cards can be sent to 109 W. 15th St., Front Royal, Virginia 22630.
The following volunteers are scheduled at the Strasburg Museum:
Sunday: morning, Peter and Peggy Zarrella; afternoon, Leon and Diane Smith.
Monday: morning, Wayne Ireson and Bob Callihan; afternoon, Margaret Ireson.
Tuesday: morning, Judy Cosby; afternoon, Doris Baker and Winnie Callihan.
Wednesday: morning, Phil Loving and Sally Fravel; afternoon, Tom Parker.
Thursday: morning, Gloria Stickley; afternoon, Shirley Maddox.
Friday: morning, Howard and Mary Paige; afternoon, Glenna Loving.
Saturday: morning, Margo and Lynn; afternoon, Ellsworth and Rubye Stickley.
The Shenandoah County Extension office in Woodstock has announced the following meetings and activities will be held:
- Fort Valley 4-H Club and Cloverbuds will meet at 4:30 p.m. Sunday at the community center.
- New Market 4-H Club and Cloverbuds will meet at 6 p.m. Monday at Reformation Lutheran Church.
- 4-H Livestock Club will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday at Wakemans Grove Church of the Brethren.
- St. Luke-Saumsville 4-H Club and Cloverbuds will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday at Saumsville Christian Church.
- 4-H Dominican Republic meeting will be held at 1 p.m. Tuesday at the Extension office.
- Pressure canner gauge testing: 1-3:30 p.m., Friday at the Extension office. Canner lids and/or attached gauge can be dropped off in advance or brought to testing. Information: Rebecca Davis at email@example.com.
- Horse Tails & Trails 4-H day camp: 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., June 26-29 for ages 9-13 at Fort Valley Ranch. Cost: $125. Preregistration required by Wednesday. Information: www.scprsignup.info.
Nurses who graduated from the Winchester Memorial Training School or have been employed at or retired from the hospital will hold their quarterly Dutch-treat luncheon meeting at 11 a.m. Monday at Golden Corral in Winchester. Information: 540-667-7953.
Skyline Quilters will be the featured artists this month and July at the Strasburg Town Hall.
A reception to meet the artists will be held at 6 p.m. Tuesday.
The Kernstown Battlefield Association will commemorate the 154th anniversary of the Second Battle of Winchester on Tuesday with a special tour at 6 p.m. led by local author and historian Jerry Holsworth at 610 Battle Park Drive, Winchester.
Special tours will be held from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tours will also include the 1854 Pritchard House, Museum and Artillery Annex.
Information: 757-593-8227, 202-302-9129 or visit
Samuels Public Library in Front Royal has announced the following activities will be held:
- Play date picnic in the garden (ages 3-5): 11 a.m., Tuesday. Lemonade and cookies provided. Participants must bring other foods.
- Learn to write computer programs: 6 p.m., Tuesdays for six weeks. Registration required.
- The Maker Club: 3:30 p.m., Tuesday for school-aged children to make something creative. The theme will be about our ever-changing weather.
- Toddler story time: 10:15 a.m., Wednesday and Thursday.
- Preschool story time: 11 a.m., Wednesday and Thursday.
- Lego celebration (ages 5-up): 11 a.m., Friday for children to build an ice cream castle.
Information, registration: 540-635-3153 or http://www.samuelslibrary.net.
Warren County Parks and Recreation will hold the following activities:
- Bus trip to Hershey Park, Pennsylvania: 8 a.m., Wednesday leaving from the County Community Center. Cost: $85 per person, which includes admission ticket, meal voucher and transportation. There is a limit of six tickets per household with only 42 tickets available.
- Piano power class: 5:30-7:30 p.m., Wednesday at the County Community Center for late elementary to early intermediate students. Cost: $20. Information: Barbara Stepp at 540-635-1919 or email Barbara@skylinepiano.com.
- Defensive firearms class: 9 a.m.-5 p.m., June 17 at County Community Center for ages 10 and older. Cost: $75. Preregistration required. Information: Rex King at DFV357@yahoo.com.
Information: 540-635-1021 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Send in your events at http://www.nvdaily.com/submit-news.