Community News & Events: Aug. 1
A card shower is planned for Barbara Blount, who will celebrate her 85th birthday Aug. 7. Cards can be sent to 304 Dawn Ave., Woodstock, Virginia 22664.
The Summer Lunch and Learn Series will be held from noon to 12:30 p.m. today at the Strasburg Park’s Gazebo on King Street. The program will be on how to use essential oils safely. Attendance is free. Those attending should bring a bag lunch.
The Shenandoah County Extension office in Woodstock has scheduled the following activities:
• Seven Bends 4-H Shooting Education Club will meet at 7 p.m. today at Round Hill Church of the Brethren in Toms Brook.
• Shenandoah County 4-H and FFA will hold a work day at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday at the county fairgrounds in Woodstock.
• The 4-H/FFA Livestock Show & Sale Executive Committee will meet at 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Extension office.
• The 4-H Goat Club will meet at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the cafeteria at Central High School in Woodstock.
• A Youth Meat Quality Assurance (YMQA) workshop will be held from 9 to 11 a.m. Friday at the Augusta County Fair at EXPO. Registration: 540-245-5750 or email John Benner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Handley Library in Winchester has scheduled the following programs:
• Dance party: 10:30-11 a.m., Fridays for babies, toddlers and preschoolers to age 5 and their grownups.
• Construction Club (all ages): 4-5 p.m., Fridays and 10:30-11:30 a.m., Saturdays.
• Preschool time (ages 3 and up): 10:30 a.m., Monday.
The Shenandoah County Library in Edinburg will hold the fifth program in the Adventures in Gardening series presented by members of the Northern Shenandoah Valley Master Gardeners at 10:30 a.m. Saturday.
Stacy Morgan Smith will present a program on choosing and growing the right produce to preserve. Information: 984-8200.
Samuels Public Library has announced the following programs for adults will be held this month:
• Jewelry by Design: 10:30 a.m., Saturday. Registration required.
• Genealogy workshop: 6 p.m., Aug. 8.
• The Great Solar Eclipse: 10:30 a.m., Aug. 10, those attending will make a pinhole camera. Registration required.
• Party by Design: 2 p.m., Aug. 12, celebrate the end of the adult summer reading program.
Information, registration: 540-635-3153.
Shenandoah County Extension Master Gardeners will be available to answer home horticulture questions from 9 a.m. to noon Saturday at the Strasburg Farm Market at Pot Town Organics. Information: 540-459-6140.
Bowman Library in Stephens City will hold the following programs:
• Preschool Time (ages 3 and up): 11 a.m., Saturday and Aug. 12.
• Paws for Reading with therapy dogs: 1 p.m., Saturday.
• Chess (all ages and skill levels): 10 a.m.-noon, Saturdays.
• Pokemon Trading Card Club: 1-2:30 p.m., Saturdays.
• Book drop off: 9 a.m.-noon, Saturday its fall used book sale. Drop off books, CDs and DVDs.
• Toddler Time (ages 3 and under): 11 a.m., Monday.
• Manga Art (tweens and teens): 5:30 p.m., Monday and Aug. 21.
• Worker Wednesday STEAM program (ages 9-17): 5:30-6:30 p.m., Aug. 9. Youth will learn about the instruments that make up a bluegrass band and their individual roles while listening to a performance by the Amber Waves Band.
Samuels Public Library in Front Royal will hold a meeting of Chit Chat and All That for ages 10 and up at 2 p.m. Saturday. Refreshments provided.
Information, registration: 540-635-3153.
Ginny Spoon with the Shenandoah and Potomac Iris Society will present a free program on the miniature tall bearded iris at 1:15 p.m. Saturday at Bowman Library in Stephens City.
Refreshments will follow. Registration is requested by emailing Campbells@IrisHillsFarm.com.
St. Stephen Lutheran Church will hold an ice cream social starting at 4 p.m. Saturday at 15737 Back Road, Strasburg.
Five of a Kind will provide music. Proceeds benefit church repairs.
St. Jacob’s Lutheran Church will hold a lawn party starting at 4 p.m. Saturday at 15226 Senedo Road, Edinburg.
Musical guest will be Lion of Judah. Food, including homemade ice cream will be available. Proceeds benefit the Shenandoah County Free Clinic, A Small Hand and Alliance for Shelter.
The families of the late Charles and Mary Spiker will hold a reunion Sunday at the Lion’s shelter in Strasburg.
Lunch will be at 12:30 p.m. Those attending are asked to bring a covered dish. Paper products provided.
Send in your events at www.nvdaily.com/submit-news.