Community News & Events: Aug. 11
• A card shower is planned for Maurine Huss, who will celebrate her 97th birthday Monday. Cards can be sent to 515 W. Court St., Woodstock, Virginia 22664.
• A card shower is planned for Floyd and Imogene Ryman, who will celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary Aug. 18. Cards can be sent to 14785 Back Road, Strasburg, Virginia 22657.
The family of John A.G. and Bessie Clem will hold a reunion at 1 p.m. Sunday at the Fort Valley Fire Hall. Those attending are asked to bring a covered dish to share.
The following volunteers are scheduled at the Strasburg Museum:
Sunday: morning, Peter and Peggy Zarrella; afternoon, Leon and Diane Smith.
Monday: morning, John Adamson; afternoon, Libby Truesdale and Terri Sobers.
Tuesday: morning, Jocelyn Vena; afternoon, Glenna Loving.
Wednesday: morning, Jackie Richard; afternoon, Ann McElyea and C. Mckiernan.
Thursday: morning, Bob and Ida Smith; afternoon, Tom Knowles.
Friday: morning, Howard and Mary Paige; afternoon, Tina Crabill.
Saturday: morning, Gloria Stickley; afternoon, Ellsworth and Rubye Stickley.
On May 27, one American flag began a 14,000-mile, 100-day journey through the 48 continental states raising funds for wounded veterans and their families. The journey is called the Patriot Tour and is sponsored by the Nation of Patriots, a national veteran nonprofit organization.
The flag travels on the back of a motorcycle, transferred to a new flag bearer at each destination along the route and is escorted to its next destination by groups of as few as five or as many as 500 riders.
The Patriot Tour is expected to arrive at noon Monday at Grove’s Harley-Davidson, 140 Independence Drive, Winchester. A flag exchange ceremony will follow.
Shenandoah County Girl Scouts will hold registration at 6:30 p.m. on the following dates in the cafeteria at each of the county elementary schools for girls interested in joining:
• Monday: Ashby Lee Elementary, Quicksburg.
• Tuesday: W.W. Robinson Elementary, Woodstock.
• Thursday: Sandy Hook Elementary, Strasburg.
Handley Library in Winchester has scheduled the following activities this month:
• Preschool playtime (ages 2-5): 10:30 a.m., Mondays.
• Kindle device workshop: 2-3:30 p.m., Monday.
• Baby playtime (birth-15 months): 10:30 a.m., Tuesdays.
• Apple device workshop: 10:30 a.m.-noon, Wednesday.
• Toddler playtime (ages 3-under): 10:30 a.m., Thursdays.
Bowman Library in Stephens City has scheduled the following activities this month:
• Dance party: 11:45 a.m., Mondays for toddlers, preschoolers and their grownups.
• Teen Advisory Board meeting: 6 p.m., Monday for middle- and high-school students.
• Maker Mondays: 6-8 p.m., Monday. Information: Ryan Hall at email@example.com.
• Preschool playtime (ages 2-5): 11 a.m., Wednesdays and Saturdays.
The Compassion Cupboard will distribute food from 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 3 p.m. Tuesday at 533 Burgess St., Strasburg. Information: 465-9476.
The Warren Memorial Hospital Auxiliary will host The Donut Kitchen from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. (or until sold out) Tuesday at the hospital’s North Entrance.
The Bread of Life Food Pantry in Woodstock will distribute food from 1 to 4 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday. Appointments can be scheduled by calling 540-459-1928.
The Claude A. Stokes Jr. Community Swimming Pool will be closed Tuesday through Friday.
Weekend hours are noon to 6 p.m. Aug. 19 and 26 and Sept. 2 and Aug. 20 and 27 and Sept. 3. The pool will not be open Sept. 4.
Samuels Library in Front Royal will hold the following programs for youth this month:
• The Maker Club (school-aged children): 4:30 p.m., Tuesday. The theme will be about crayons.
• Toddler story time: 10:15 a.m., Wednesday and Thursday. The theme will be about the night sky.
• Preschool story time: 11 a.m., Wednesday and Thursday. The theme will be about the night sky.
Send in your events at www.nvdaily.com/submit-news.