Community News & Events: Sept. 1
A card shower is planned for Shirley Frye, who will celebrate her 90th birthday Thursday. Cards can be sent to 702 Lutz Hollow Road, Mt. Jackson 22842.
The Humane Society of Warren County will hold a Labor of Love Adoption Special from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. today through Monday at 1245 Progress Drive, Front Royal.
Adoption fees for dogs and cats will be waived with approved applications. This does not include the spay/neuter fee.
Apply in person or online at www.humanesocietywarrencounty.org.
The following locations will be closed in observance of Labor Day:
• Belle Grove Plantation, south of Middletown, will close at 3 p.m. Saturday and reopen Tuesday.
• The Shenandoah County Extension Office in Woodstock will be closed Monday.
• All branches of the Handley Regional Library (Bowman in Stephens City, Clarke County in Berryville and Handley in Winchester) will be closed Monday and reopen at 10 a.m. Tuesday.
The following volunteers are scheduled at the Strasburg Museum:
Sunday: morning, Sue Foster; afternoon, Conly and Tina Crabill.
Monday: morning, Evan Dewire; afternoon, Margo Hammock.
Tuesday: morning and afternoon, Ibby Stratton.
Wednesday: morning, Jackie Richard; afternoon, Jeanette Dovel and Sue Mariotti.
Thursday: morning, Richard and Sandra Lawson; afternoon, Terry Goad and Nookie Horan.
Friday: morning, Linda Williams; afternoon, June Hockman.
Saturday: morning, Patsy Miller and Bryan Stonesifer; afternoon, Tim Taylor.
The Mt. Jackson-Edinburg Rotary Club will meet at 8 a.m. Tuesday at Denny’s in Mount Jackson.
The Hamburg Ruritan Club will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Edinburg Park shelter.
The Shenandoah County Extension office in Woodstock has announced the following meetings:
• The Seven Bends 4-H Shooting Education Club will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday at Round Hill Church of the Brethren.
• The 4-H Goat Club will meet at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the cafeteria at Central High School in Woodstock.
• The 4-H/FFA Livestock Show and Sale Executive Committee will meet at 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Extension office.
• The Edinburg FCE Club will meet at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Extension office.
• The 4-H Exchange Club will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday at the Historic Courthouse in Woodstock.
Samuels Library in Front Royal will hold a Time for Baby program at 11 a.m. Tuesday. The theme will be about Winnie-the-Pooh. Siblings welcome.
Warren Memorial Hospital in Front Royal will sponsor a community blood drive from 11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Tuesday.
Free T-shirts for all donors while supplies last. Walk-ups welcome, but appointments are encouraged. Appointments: www.donateblood.vablood.org.
The Virginia Quilt Museum will open its newest exhibit Tuesday at 301 S. Main St., Harrisonburg.
• Heritage Redefined: curated by Susan Emory. This juried exhibit showcases a compilation of modern quilts from across Virginia.
• Treasures from the Vault: featuring quilts from the 18th and 19th centuries.
• 13 Perspectives:” curated by Trudi Van Dyke featuring contemporary fiber pieces by 13 members of New Image Artists.
• From Ma-Ma’s Garden to the Wheel of Fortune: curated by Pat Sloan.
The exhibit runs through Dec. 16. Hours are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday.
Admission is $7, $5 for students and free for children 5 and younger. Information: 540-433-3818 or visit www.vaquiltmuseum.org.
Send in your events at http://www.nvdaily.com/submit-news.