Community News & Events: Saturday, Sept. 30
• A card shower is planned for Mike Good, who will celebrate his 70th birthday Wednesday. Cards can be sent to 2529 S. Ox Road, Edinburg, Virginia 22824.
• A card shower is planned for Melvin “Buster” Kibler Jr., who will celebrate his 70th birthday Oct. 8. Cards can be sent to 4570 Swover Creek Road, Edinburg, Virginia 22824.
The Shenandoah County Extension office has announced the following 4-H groups will meet:
• Toms Brook 4-H Club and Cloverbuds: 6 p.m., Sunday at the United Methodist Church.
• Seven Bends 4-H Shooting Education Club: 7 p.m., Wednesday at Round Hill Church of the Brethren, Toms Brook.
• 4-H/FFA Livestock Show and Sale awards program and elections: 7 p.m., Wednesday in the cafeteria at Central High School in Woodstock.
Handley Library in Winchester has announced the following programs for children in October:
• Preschool story time (ages 3-up): 10:30 a.m., Mondays.
• Baby Time (ages birth-15 months): 10:30 a.m., Tuesdays.
• Stories with a Sheriff (all ages): 4 p.m., Wednesday.
• Toddler Time (ages 3-under): 10:30 a.m., Thursdays.
• Open chess games (all ages and skill levels): 4:30-7:30 p.m., Wednesdays. Lectures held at 5:30 p.m. on chess basics and strategy along with one-on-one instruction for new players. Information: www.winchesterchess.com.
Bowman Library in Stephens City will hold the following programs for children in October:
• Lego Club: 4:30-5:30 p.m., Mondays for elementary- and middle-school children. Weekly themes.
• Toddler Time (ages 3-under): 11 a.m., Mondays.
• Manga Art (for tweens and teens): 6-7 p.m., Monday and Oct. 16.
• Dance party: 11-11:45 a.m., Tuesdays for toddlers, preschoolers and their grownups.
• Storycrafters (all ages): 6 p.m., Tuesdays.
• Storytime: 11 a.m., Wednesdays.
• Moon Festival: 6-8 p.m., Wednesday featuring storytelling, plays, traditional foods and crafts.
• Baby Time (ages birth-15 months): 11 a.m., Thursdays.
• Preschool story time (ages 3-up): 11 a.m., Oct. 7, 21 and 28.
• Paws for Reading with therapy dogs: 1 p.m., Oct. 14 and 28.
The Hamburg Ruritan Club will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday at St. Mary’s Pine Lutheran Church in Mount Jackson.
Samuels Public Library in Front Royal will hold the following programs for adults in October:
• Hello Computer (for novices): 1-2 p.m., Tuesdays, four weeks.
• Genealogy workshop: 6 p.m., Wednesdays, five weeks.
• General Education Development (GED) course: 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Tuesdays and Thursdays.
• English as a Second Language: 10 a.m.-noon, Tuesdays and Thursdays.
• Exploring Computers: 1 p.m., Thursdays. Classes in October will focus on social media and online shopping.
• Microsoft Office workshop: 10 a.m., Oct. 7 and 21.
• Downloading Media: 6 p.m., Oct. 17.
Information: 540-635-3153 or www.samuelslibrary.net.
Clarke County Library in Berryville has announced the following programs will be held in October:
• Preschool story-time (ages 3-up): 10:30-11 a.m., Tuesdays.
• Factivities STEM program (ages 6-11): 3:45-4:45 p.m., Thursdays.
Handley Library in Winchester will host the Free Medical Clinic of Northern Shenandoah Valley for an on-site health screening from noon to 5 p.m. Tuesday.
Free screenings will be available for blood glucose, blood pressure, BMI, flu shot and health education. A cholesterol test will also be available for $10. Participants must be 18 or older. No insurance or appointment required. Information: Todd Strader at 540-662-9041, ext 19.
Heather Foster and Russell Rinker will present “Home Show from World War I” featuring music and poetry from the era from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at Handley Regional Library in Winchester. Information: 540-662-9041.
WIC, supplemental nutrition program for women, infants and children, breastfeeding staff will host the LATCH Circle from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Wednesday at Handley Regional Library in Winchester.
The program is a casual time for mothers to share and encourage each other during their breastfeeding journey. Each class will feature games, giveaways and nutrition education credit. Information: Jessica Vincent at 540-722-3470.
Send in your events at http://www.nvdaily.com/submit-news.