Community News & Events: Oct. 3
• A card shower is planned for Louise “Becky” Racey, who will celebrate her 95th birthday Thursday. Cards can be sent to 545 Racey Lane, Strasburg, Virginia 22657.
• A card shower is planned for Shirley Cave Kerber, who will celebrate her birthday Friday. Cards can be sent to 629 Redbud Lane, Woodstock, Virginia 22664.
Handley Library in Winchester has announced the following programs will be held:
• Construction Club meetings: 6-7:30 p.m., Thursdays; 4-5 p.m., Fridays; 10:30-11:30 a.m., Saturdays.
• Dance party: 10:30-11 a.m., Fridays for babies, toddlers, preschoolers to age 5 and their grownups.
Bowman Library in Stephens City will hold the following activities:
• Teen Arts Night: 5-6 p.m., Thursday.
• Book drop-off: 9 a.m.-noon, Saturday for its fall used book sale on Oct. 24-28. Visitors can drop off books, CDs and DVDs.
• Chess program (all ages and skill levels): 10 a.m.-noon, Saturdays.
• Pokemon Trading Card Club meetings: 1-2:30 p.m., Saturdays.
The Shenandoah County Extension office will have Master Gardeners available at the following locations and times to answer home horticulture questions:
• Friday: 9 a.m.-noon, at the Extension office in Woodstock.
• Saturday: 9 a.m.-noon, at the Strasburg Farmers Market at Pot Town Organics.
Handley Library will host a two-part lecture series by art historian Ben Glenn II on the Baroque painter Caravaggio from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Thursday and Oct. 12.
The Winchester chapter of Trout Unlimited will meet with the local chapter of the Audubon Society at 7 p.m. Thursday at Lord Fairfax Community College in Middletown.
The guest speaker will be Robert Jennings, a grassroots and field specialist with the Chesapeake Bay Foundation.
Information: Bill Prokopchak at 722-2620 or visit www.winchestertu.org.
The Shenandoah County 4-H Exchange Club will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday at the Historic Courthouse in Woodstock. Information: 459-6140.
Friday is the deadline to register to attend the Front Royal Garden Club’s flower-arranging demonstration and luncheon at 10:30 a.m. Oct. 18 at the Santmyers Community Center on Commerce Avenue and 8th Street, Front Royal.
The cost is $25 and includes a chance to win an arrangement by Terry Smith, who currently designs for the Kentucky Derby and the Inn at Little Washington.
The New Market Library will hold the following story-time programs:
Books and Babies (ages birth-3): 10 a.m., Friday, older siblings welcome as helpers.
• Preschool story time (ages 3-5): 10 a.m., Oct. 20.
Information: Karen Whetzel at 740-8589.
St. John Bosco Catholic Church in Woodstock will hold a fish fry from 5 to 8 p.m. Friday. The Conicville Fire Department will provide homemade ice cream for $1.
Laurel Hill Christian Church in Strasburg will hold a 50/50 bingo from 7 to 10 p.m. Friday.
Doors open at 6 p.m. Admission is $3, which includes snacks. Cards are 25 cents each. Proceeds benefit the Strasburg FFA National Convention trip.
The Delta Rho Sorority will hold a yard sale from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at Marrow Heights Baptist Church, 517 Braxton Road, Front Royal.
The sorority, a philanthropic, educational and social group, meets at 5:30 p.m. the second Tuesday of each month at 564 Lewis St., Front Royal.
Frederick County’s annual Fall Shred Fest will be held from 8 a.m. to noon Saturday in the Shockey Companies parking lot, 1057 Martinsburg Pike, Winchester.
The event will be held rain or shine. Information: Frederick County Recycling at 665-5643.
Millwood United Methodist Church will hold a yard and bake sale from 9 a.m. to noon Saturday at 700 Bishop Meade Road, Millwood. The sale will be held rain or shine. Proceeds benefit church ministries.
Send in your events at http://www.nvdaily.com/submit-news.