Community and Club News & Events: Jan. 9
• Shenandoah County offices will be closed Friday in observance of Lee-Jackson Day and also on Monday in observance of Martin Luther King Day.
• Samuels Public Library in Front Royal will be closed Jan. 15 in observance of Martin Luther King Day. The library will reopen on Jan. 16 with regular hours.
The Capon Springs Volunteer Fire and Rescue will hold a Smorgasbord Dinner featuring pork loin, ham and chicken from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Sunday at the Fire Hall. Cost is $12 for adults, $5 for children 5-12 and free for children 4 and under. Carry-outs available. Information: 304-433-0167.
Samuels Public Library in Front Royal will host a Crochet Group at 10 a.m. Wednesday and Jan. 24. Learn how to crochet or share your talents. All ability levels are welcome. The group meets monthly on the second and fourth Wednesday. Information: 540-635-3153.
Support community college wooden bat summer baseball at the New Market Rebels Ca$h Party on Saturday at the Eagles Club, 135 White Mill Road. A social is scheduled for 6 p.m. and dinner is at 7 p.m. Drawings will be held at 8 p.m. Grand slam prize: $1,000. There will be 20 total winners and 200 tickets will be sold. Tickets will be $30 each with meal included. Contact John Blosser, 540-975-0840.
The Narrow Passage Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, will meet at 10 a.m. Saturday at the Emmanuel Episcopal Church, 122 East Court St., Woodstock. Bill Walls will present a program on the Civil War experience of his great-grandfather, William Jackman, based on diaries and letters. More information: 540-856-3426.
The Virginia Cooperative Extension in Frederick County will offer an eight-week, group-based strength training program from 1-2 p.m. Monday and Wednesday starting Jan. 22 at Wesley United Methodist Church in Winchester. LIFT (Lifetime Improvement through Fitness Together) is designed to promote balance and flexibility with the goal of improving functional fitness. Cost is $25 and registration deadline is Friday. Information: contact Rebecca Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A digital photography workshop will be held from 1-5 p.m. Saturday. Learn fundamentals to create memorable photographs. Review principles related to composition, exposure and focusing, tips on how to best photograph different subjects, and options for storing, editing, printing and sharing photographs. Bring your camera with charged batteries, memory and camera manual (if possible). Information: 540-635-3153.
- An advanced Excel class will be held from 1 to 3 p.m. Saturday. The class is designed to introduce common EXCEL built-in formulas in spreadsheets and how to add graphs. Information: 540-635-3153.
Friends of Handley Regional Library will hold the third performance of the season for “A Little Noon Music” at 12:15 p.m. Friday featuring the classical guitar of John Arnold, the current guitar instructor at Moravian College. Information: Barbara Dickinson at 540-662-6046, ext. 31 or email@example.com.
The Fort Valley Fire Department will host bingo the second Saturday of each month. The next bingo will be held Saturday. Food will be ready for purchase starting at 5:30 p.m. and play will start at 6 p.m.
The next Valley Marines group monthly lunch will be at 11 a.m. Wednesday at the Southern Kitchen Restaurant in New Market. This is a group of Marines of all ages and eras who meet monthly to share a meal and enjoy each other’s company. No reservations necessary; there is no formal program, no dues and no dress-of-the-day – just friendly surroundings and good food.
A card shower is planned for Richard “Dick” Cooley, who will celebrate his 83rd birthday Thursday. Cards can be sent to 617 Kestrel Court, Woodstock, Virginia 22664.
The Blue Ridge Kiwanis of Winchester will meet at 7:30 a.m. Friday at the Best Western Lee Jackson Inn’s Perkin’s Restaurant. Guest speaker will be Kim Herbstritt of the Shady Knolls Mushroom Farm.
The Woodstock Fire Department will host an all-you-can-eat spaghetti dinner from 4-7 p.m. Friday. A free will offering will be accepted for dine-in; take-out is $7 per plate. Proceeds will benefit the new truck fund.
Lydia’s Clothes Closet in Strasburg is in need of volunteers to help sort and organize donations that come into the store. Shifts run Tuesday to Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. or 1 -4 p.m. This is an all-volunteer nonprofit dedicated to serving the community needs daily and in times of crisis. Apply at 134 E. King St. during store hours to fill out a volunteer form.
- Beth El Congregation, 520 Fairmont Ave., Winchester, will host a Family Shabbat beginning at 6:30 p.m. Friday with a potluck, followed at 7:15 p.m. by Erev Shabbat services and January birthday blessings.
- Alamo Drafthouse, 181 Kernstown Commons Boulevard, Winchester, will present a screening of the movie “Yentl” at 12:30 p.m. Sunday with a percentage of proceeds to benefit Beth El Congregation. Tickets are available online at https://drafthouse.com/winchester/show/yentl or at the door. For information about Beth El, call the office at 540-667-1043 or visit the website at www.BethElCongregation.org.
All are invited to join Pastor George Bowers for Bible Studies in Romans at either 9 a.m. or 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays throughout the upcoming months. Bring a Bible, any questions, and a desire to grow in your faith. The classes will meet at Antioch Church of the Brethren in the fellowship hall and last from 1-1½ hours. For more information, call the church at 540-459-3661. Antioch is located one mile west of Woodstock on Route 42 (Senedo Road).
The Shenandoah Arts Council has partnered with the Old Town Development Board to create an outdoor gallery on the historic walking mall on display from April through December in Winchester known as “ArtScape.”
Artists should submit their work for consideration to the arts council through Jan. 26.
Application fees are $20 for 18 and under, $50 for non-Shenandoah Arts Council members and $35 for adult members.
ArtScape 2018 banners will be hung, while originals will be on exhibit at the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley. An opening reception will be held in April for the winners and guests. More information: www.shenarts.org.
Send in your events at http://www.nvdaily.com/submit-news.