NVDAILY.COM | Lifestyle/Valley Scene
Posted August 1, 2013 | Leave a comment
By Josette Keelor
With First Friday events this weekend and Kris Kristofferson performing Saturday at the Shenandoah Valley Music Festival in Orkney Springs, musicians will sing throughout the valley, combining with art exhibits, book signings, festivals for all ages.
• Learn more about the Civil War in Winchester this weekend, where tours and other events will take place. At 6 p.m. Friday, a guided Civil War walking tour of old town will take visitors to places where events of the time took place. Meet a tour guide at 2 N. Cameron St. Cost: $5. Reserve a spot by calling 542-1326.
History at Sunset will be at 7 p.m., with the theme The Historic Heater Farm: A House Divided, the story of Soloman and Caroline Heater's divided loyalties. Meet at the Cedar Creek Battlefield Foundation Headquarters, 8437 Valley Pike, Middletown. Visitors then will car pool to the site. Moderate hiking is required.
A Tour of the Trenches at Cedar Creek Battlefield will be from 10:30 a.m. to noon Saturday. Meet at the battlefield headquarters before car pooling to the entrenchments.
The 8th Vermont Monument Tour will be at 1 p.m. Saturday. It will explain one of the most famous incidents related to the battle when the regiment sacrificed itself against a Confederate onslaught four times its size. Good walking shoes or boots are recommended. Meet a park ranger at the battlefield headquarters.
A Battle of Cedar Creek Guided Driving Tour will be from 2 to 4 p.m. Admission is free.
• First Friday in Harrisonburg will take place from 6 to 9 p.m. at the Court Square Lawn, 228 S. Liberty St. Bryan Elijah Smith and the Wild Hearts will perform at 7 p.m. for Fridays on the Square. The rain location will be the Farmer Market at Turner Pavilion. Information: 564-0928.
• Mike Bowman and Luke Wilson and the Dericks from 9 to 11:30 p.m. at Clementine Café, 153 S. Main St., Harrisonburg. Cost: $5. Information: 540-801-8881, clementinecafe.com.
• Traveling Hillbillies will perform at 7 p.m. for Evenings on Main at Ruffner Plaza, Luray. Rain location will be the Performing Arts Luray, 1 E. Main St. Information: 743-5511.
• Fiery Run will perform harmony-driven folk rock for Gazebo Gatherings at 7 p.m. at the Town Commons on Main and Chester streets, Front Royal. Information: 635-9909.
• The "Just 4 Fun" band will perform from 8:30 to 11:30 p.m., Woodstock Moose Lodge, 152 Moose Road. Information: 459-5995.
• Furnace Mountain will perform for the Bluemont Summer Concert Series at 7:30 p.m. at 20 N. Loudoun St., Winchester. Cost: $5 general admission, $4 for Bluemont Friends and seniors, $2 ages under 12. Rain location will be First Presbyterian Church, 116 S. Loudoun St., Winchester. Information: 338-4640, bluemont.org/concerts/Winchester.html
• Robbie Limon will perform from 7 to 11 p.m., IJ Canns American Grille, 3111 Valley Ave., Suite 104, Winchester. Information: 667-9995, ijcanns.com.
• Karaoke with Chili Willie will take place at 9 p.m. at Charlie's, 497 Stover Ave., Strasburg. Information: 465-2968.
• EZGO band will perform from 8 p.m. to midnight at Piccadilly's Public House & Restaurant, 125 E. Piccadilly St., Winchester. Information: 535-1899.
• Luke Johnson Band will perform at 7 p.m. at Cristina's Cafe, 219 King St., Strasburg. Information: 465-2311.
• The Green Beets will perform at 8 p.m. at Barns of Rose Hill, 95 Chalmers Court, Berryville. Cost: $15. Information: 955-2004, barnsofrosehill.org.
• The Musical Theatre Intensive and the Dance Intensive students at Shenandoah Conservatory Arts Academy will present a showcase of work at 6 p.m. at the Shingleton dance space, Shenandoah University. Information: 665-4602, scartsacademy.org/.
• A model train will be on display at The Strasburg Museum on the first Saturday of each month and by appointment. The train is complete with a landscape mural in an older train baggage car, and a radio show from the 1940s plays as visitors view the exhibit. Hours are from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., May to October. Information: 465-3175.
• Rock Paper Scissors by Mercedes Kerr Stainken will be on display until Saturday, Barns of Rose Hill, 95 Chalmers Court, Berryville. Information: 955-2004, barnsofrosehill.org.
• "American Impressionism: The Lure of the Artist's Colony" will be on display until Sunday at The Museum of the Shenandoah Valley, 901 Amherst St., Winchester. Cost: $10 admission, $8 for ages 13-18 and seniors. Members admitted free. Information: 662-1473, ext. 235, or theMSV.org.
• "Pottery: What's New in the Studio," featuring artists Phil James, Rudy Tucker, Brenda Fairweather, and Kathryn Kavanaugh, will begin with an open house from 5 to 8 p.m. at Oasis Fine Art & Craft, 103 S. Main St., Harrisonburg, Information: 442-8188, oasisfineartandcraft.org.
• The Handley Library art show will be on display June 12 to Aug. 24 at Handley Regional Library, 100 W. Piccadilly St., Winchester. Information: 662-9041, ext. 14, firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Obsession Show, an all member show will be on display through Aug. 25 at the Middle Street Gallery, Sperryville. Information: 540-987-9330,middlestreetgallery.org.
• The work of Kay Witt will be on display through Sept. 27 at the Strasburg Community Library, 195 W. King St. Information: 465-8464, email@example.com.
• "Live Canvas," photography by Kerri Patton, will be on display through August, with a reception from 6 to 10 p.m. today, at 1 lb Gallery, 29 N. Loudoun St., 2nd floor, Winchester. Information: 686-7316.
• All Member Exhibit -- Monday to Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Sunday noon to 5 p.m. at The Art Group Gallery, 5998 Main St., Mt. Jackson. Information: 436-8234, 477-4131.
• Art from Our Attic regional art will be on display until today at Westminster-Canterbury Shenandoah Valley, 300 Westminster-Canterbury Drive, Winchester. Information: 665-9463, www.svwc.org.
• The Shenandoah Jamboree will take place from 7 to 10 p.m. at Shenandoah Caverns' Yellow Barn, 470 Caverns Road, featuring Ben "Cooter" Jones and his Garage Band, with Lisa Meadows and special guest Wilson Fairchild. Cost: $15 in advance. Doors open at 6 p.m. Information: 477-2172, shenandoahcaverns.com.
• The Shenandoah Valley Sweet Adelines will perform a four-part barbershop harmony from 2 to 5 p.m., Winchester Book Gallery, 185 N. Loudoun St., Winchester. Information: 667-3444.
• Kristin Gibbs will perform from 4 to 7 p.m. for the Music in the Vineyard series at Philip Carter Winery, 4366 Stillhouse Road, Hume. Bring a picnic, blanket and friends. Information: 364-1203, pcwinery.com
• Robbie Limon will perform from 2 to 5:30 p.m. at Gadino Cellars in Washington, Va. Information: robbielimonband.com, firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Robbie Limon Band will perform from 8 to midnight at IJ Canns American Grille, 3111 Valley Ave., Suite 104, Winchester. Information: 667-9995, ijcanns.com.
• The Artful Dodger Cafe at 47 Court Square Harrisonburg has local music from 7 to 10 p.m. every Sunday, Information: 540-432-1179, artfuldodgerlounge.blogspot.in/.
• Bill Yates and The Country Gentlemen Band to perform at 4 p.m. will play a live concert a Page Valley Fairgrounds, 15 Fairlane Drive, Luray. Tickets are $30. Information: countrygentlementributeband.com.
• Vagabond Opera will perform at 8 p.m. at Barns of Rose Hill, 95 Chalmers Court, Berryville. Cost: $15. Information: 955-2004, barnsofrosehill.org.
• Karaoke Joe will perform at 9 a.m., Charlie's at 497 Stover Ave. in Strasburg. Information: 465-2968.
• Open mic night will perform from 8 to 10 p.m. at Below the Fringe, 137 S. Loudoun St. in Winchester. Information: 514-0788.
• The Merge will perform from 8 p.m. to midnight at Piccadilly's Public House & Restaurant, 125 E. Piccadilly St., Winchester. Information: 535-1899.
• Mink! will perform at 7:30 p.m. at Cristina's Cafe, 219 King St., Strasburg. Information: 465-2311.
• Accordionist Bill McElroy will perform from 6 to 9 p.m. each week at Edelweiss Restaurant, 19 Edelweiss Lane, Staunton. Information: 337-1203.
• Robbie Limon will perform from 2 to 5 p.m. at Narmada Winery, Va. 211 West, Amissville. Information: narmadawinery.com.
• The band Timeless will perform from 3 to 6 p.m. at Shenandoah Valley Artworks at 234 West King St., Strasburg. Information: 664-8028.
• Michael Delalla will perform at 7:30 p.m. at Barns of Rose Hill, 95 Chalmers Court, Berryville. Cost: $12. Information: 955-2004, barnsofrosehill.org.
• Open mic night will perform from 6 to 10 p.m. at Cristina's Cafe, 219 King St. in Strasburg. Information: 465-2311.
• Open jam session will perform from 3 to 5 p.m. at Winchester Book Gallery, 185 N. Loudoun St., Winchester. Information: 667-3444.
• Karaoke with Willie and Misty will perform from 6 to 10 p.m. at Charlie's, 497 Stover Ave., Strasburg. Information: 465-2968.
• Ricky & Amanda Wilkins will perform from 2 to 4 p.m. at Woodstock Cafe and Shoppes, 117 S. Main St., Woodstock. Information: 459-8888.
Contact Community Engagement Editor Josette Keelor at 540-465-5137, ext. 176, or email@example.com
Copyright © The Northern Virginia Daily | nvdaily.com | 152 N. Holliday St., Strasburg, Va. 22657 | (800) 296-5137