The following are some of the area events that will be held this weekend:
The Blue Ridge Arts Council summer concert series Gazebo Gatherings will be held from 7 to 9 p.m. today at the Village Commons in Front Royal. Admission is free.
‘The Music Man’
“The Music Man” will be performed at Shenandoah University’s Ohrstrom-Bryant Theatre through Sunday.
Fast-talking Harold Hill comes to River City, Iowa, to con townspeople into buying instruments and uniforms for a boys’ band, but his plan to leave with the cash is foiled when he falls in love with the town librarian, Marian.
Performances are 8 p.m. today and Saturday with matinees at 2:30 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
Tickets are $30 for adults, $25 for seniors 63 and older or $15 for ages 16 and under. Information: 877-580-8025, www.ssmtva.com.
Several county fairs are being held this weekend:
• The Frederick County Fair is open through Saturday at the fairgrounds in Winchester. Information, schedule of events: 540-667-8739 or www.frederickcountyfair.com.
• The Loudoun County Fair is open through Saturday at the fairgrounds in Leesburg. Information: 703-777-3835 or www.loudouncountyfair.com.
• Fairfax County 4-H Fair and Carnival is being held through Sunday at Frying Pan Farm Park, 2709 W. Ox Road, Herndon. Information: 703-437-9101, 703-324-5203 or www.4hfairfax.org.
• The Warren County Fair will be held Sunday through Aug. 8. Information: 540-635-5827 or www.warrencountyfair.com.
Hottel-Keller Memorial Inc. will hold its annual weekend of meetings and programs today and Saturday.
Friday’s program will begin at 1 p.m. with a tour of the Hottel house ruins and a discussion on the Shenandoah Germans. Registration packets will be available from 3 to 7 p.m.
The corporate meeting will begin at 10 a.m. Saturday at the Edinburg VFW followed by a program on iron furnaces by Karen Cooper and John Coleman, dinner and silent auction.
Information: Gary Meeds, 540-333-3770.
Bright Box Theater
Bright Box Theater has announced programs scheduled this weekend at 15 N. Loudoun St., Winchester:
• Today: 8 p.m., Bud’s Collective with the Plate Scrapers, award-winning pickers from West Virginia, performing folk, jam, jazz, blues, Americana and bluegrass. Tickets are $10 in advance or $15 at the door.
• Saturday: 8 p.m., HR of legendary punk band Bad Brains plus Baltimore/DC’s reggae band The Scotch Bonnets and Wammie-nominated reggae and R&B artist Caz will perform. Tickets are $10 in advance or $15 at the door.
• Sunday: 7 p.m., former Random Holiday singer Mike Frazier will perform along with indie-folksters Dogwood Tales and pop-punkers Poncho Model. Tickets are $8 in advance or $10 at the door.
Information: 540-665-2878, www.brightboxwinchester.com.
Berryville Main Street
Dwight Hanline and Friends will perform traditional country music at the Music in the Park program from 6:30 to 8 p.m. today at Rose Hill Park in Berryville.
Those attending are encouraged to bring chairs and a picnic dinner. Information: 540-955-4001 or www.berryvillemainstreet.org.
The Clarke County Historical Society will host a family trivia challenge at 7 p.m. today at the Barns of Rose Hill, 95 Chalmers Court, Berryville.
Teams will be made up of six members and the top three will receive prizes. The cost is $5 for Historical Society members or $8 for nonmembers. Information, tickets: (540) 955-2004.
The Humane Society of Warren County, along with Coldwell Banker Real Estate and Adopt-A-Pet, will host “Homes for Dogs” national pet adoption weekend from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at the Warren County Animal Shelter, 1245 Progress Drive, Front Royal.
The program is part of a nationwide effort by Coldwell Banker to find homes this year for 20,000 dogs.
Bowman Library in Stephens City will show the movie “Aristocats” from 1 to 2:30 p.m. Saturday as part of its monthly family picnic and movie program.
Those attending are encouraged to bring lunch and a blanket. Popcorn and lemonade will be provided. Information: Donna Hughes, 540-869-9000, ext. 215 or dhughes@handleyregional.
Third Day will perform at a benefit concert for homelessness and hunger and to honor our service men and women at 7 p.m. Saturday at the Shenandoah County Fairgrounds in Woodstock.
Donations of non-perishable food items and gently-used household items will be collected at the gate.
A golf tournament to benefit North Warren Volunteer Fire & Rescue Company 10 will be held from 1 to 7 p.m. Saturday at Blue Ridge Shadows Golf Course, Front Royal. Information: 540-635-6759.
Belle Grove tours
Belle Grove Plantation in Middletown will offer two programs on Saturday about the plantation’s role during the Civil War.
A National Park Service ranger will talk about the Shenandoah Valley Campaign at 2:30 p.m. and a 45-minute tour of the Manor House as well as the surrounding landscape will begin at 3:15 p.m.
Admission is free for Belle Grove members or $12 for adults, $11 for seniors, military and AAA members and $6 for students ages 6 to 16 and National Trust for Historic Preservation members.
Information: 540-869-2028 or www.bellegrove.org.
African-American Heritage Festival
The annual Manassas African-American Heritage Festival will be held from noon to 6 p.m. Saturday at Grace E. Metz Middle School, 9950 Wellington Road, Manassas.
There will be more than 100 booths featuring free children’s activities, arts and crafts, artists, authors’ corner, job and business expos, health fair, business and church expos, community organizations, classic car show, live entertainment, hair and fashion show, jewelry designs and food vendors.
Information: 703-369-2475 or www.maahf.com.