Community News & Events for Nov. 25
The Long Branch Book Club will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the historic home in Boyce.
The book for December will be “Cold Mountain” by Charles Frazier. Those attending are encouraged to bring dinner or a snack. Information: 540-837-1856 or www.visitlongbranch.org.
The Shenandoah Valley Discovery Museum in Winchester has been awarded a grant from the Garden Club of Virginia and a design award for the building’s renovation at 19 W. Cork St., Winchester.
• The Winchester-Clarke Garden Club nominated the Discovery Museum for the Garden Club of Virginia’s Common Wealth Award late last year. The $4,000 grant will go toward implementation of the Museum’s Sky Level Gardens, allowing visitors to learn about horticulture and native plants through garden programs offered by local experts.
• The Winchester architectural firm of Reader & Swartz has been recognized for the second time this year for the renovation and design of the museum’s building, the former Schewel’s building. The first award came from Remodeling Magazine in October and the most recent award is from the American Institute of Architects. The renovation costs amounted to $5.3 million dollars and tripled the exhibit space of the former location.
The following offices will be closed in observance of Thanksgiving:
• The Shenandoah Valley Discovery Museum in Winchester will be closed Thursday.
• All branches of the Handley Regional Library (Handley, Bowman and Clarke County) will close at 5 p.m. today and remained closed Thursday and Friday. Branches will reopen at 10 a.m. Saturday.
• The Shenandoah County Extension office in Woodstock will close at 1 p.m. today and will remain closed Thursday and Friday.
• The Frederick County Regional Landfill will close at noon today and all day Thursday. All county convenience sites will be closed Thursday.
Send in your events to email@example.com and your news to firstname.lastname@example.org.