The following are some of the area events that will be held this weekend:
Light Up Woodstock will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. today.
Activities include a performance by the children’s choirs at 6 p.m. on the historic courthouse steps, parade at 6:30 p.m. and tree lighting at 6:45 p.m. There will also be visits with Santa and wagon rides.
Strasburg will hold a day-long Christmas celebration on Saturday.
Events include the Strasburg Fire Department breakfast from 7 to 11 a.m., holiday bazaar from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Signal Knob Middle School, parade at 4:30 p.m., library book sale, business open houses, visits with Santa, caroling and tree lighting. Information: 465-3187 or www.strasburgvachamber.com.
Winchester area events
Several holiday activities will be held in the Winchester area this weekend:
• Today: 6-8 p.m., candlelight tours and open house at Abram’s Delight Museum, George Washington’s Office and Stonewall Jackson’s Headquarters. Information: 540-662-6550.
• Saturday: 3-7 p.m., candlelight tours and open house at Abram’s Delight Museum, George Washington’s Office and Stonewall Jackson’s Headquarters; 6-9 p.m., Preservation for Historic Winchester holiday house tours, tickets 540-667-3577; 6-9 p.m., living Nativity at Kernstown Battlefield.
• Sunday: 1-5 p.m., Preservation for Historic Winchester holiday house tours, tickets 540-667-3577; 2 p.m., Middletown Christmas parade; 2 p.m., Nutcracker tea at the George Washington Hotel with special performances and meet the cast, proceeds benefit Virginia Youth Ballet, 540-665-0343.
Hupp’s Hill will hold a holiday open house today through Sunday. Admission is free. Light refreshments will be served. The gift shop will hold a sale through Dec. 23. Items include Civil War prints, books and stocking stuffers.
The Front Royal Chamber of Commerce will sponsor a Christmas parade starting at 5 p.m. Saturday at the Gazebo on Village Commons.
North Fork Middle School will hold a holiday basket bingo to benefit the eighth-grade class starting at 11 a.m. Saturday. The cost at the door will be $20 for 20 games for adults. Children 13 and younger pay $2 each with a paying adult. Soups, hot dogs, desserts and other foods will be available for purchase. Information: 540-335-6813.
Five ceramic artists, members of the Shenandoah County Artisan Trail, are hosting a holiday open studio event from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
• Earth Spirits Masks featuring the works of Liz Ashe Hollingsworth at 105 Crest River Drive, Middletown.
• Pot Town Organics featuring pottery by Barbarah Robertson at 181 W. King St., Strasburg.
• Laughing Orange Studio featuring the works of Susie Wilburn at 3397 Hillcrest Drive, Toms Brook.
• Kary Haun Studio at 402 N. Main St., Woodstock (access studio at East North Street entrance).
• Chickadees (Sunday only) featuring the works of George and Chris Jetter at 9299 N. Congress St., New Market.
Information: Kary Haun, 540-335-0780 or www.facebook.com/holidaystudiotour.
The Front Royal Oratorio Society will give two free performances of their Christmas concert “This Child, This King” this weekend at the following locations:
• Saturday: 7 p.m. at the Braddock Street United Methodist Church, 115 Wolfe St., Winchester.
• Sunday: 4 p.m. at the Front Royal Presbyterian Church, 115 Luray Ave.
Information: 540-635-4842 or FrontRoyalSings@yahoo.com.
The Bushong Farm in New Market will present “Christmas on the Farm” from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday.
Visit with historians and discover how families in 1859 carried on in the face of national crisis during Christmas. There will be games, stories, treats, songs and a special visitor.
The Virginia Museum of the Civil War will have a military encampment and people can make ornaments to decorate the tree, write letters to our men and women in the military and shop at the General Store.
Admission: $10 for ages 13-64, $9 for seniors 65 and older, $6 for ages 6-12 or free for ages 5 and under. Information: 740-3101, 866-515-1864 or www.vmi.edu/newmarket.
New Market activities
The following activities will be held in New Market on Saturday:
• 9 a.m.-5 p.m., open houses and local artist gallery tour on Congress Street.
• 9:30 a.m.-1 p.m., New Market Library book sale.
• 5 p.m., Christmas parade followed by tree lighting at the Town Hall and children’s holiday story reading and visit with Santa at the New Market Library.
Magic Lantern Theater will host a screening of “Far From the Madding Crowd,” based on the Thomas Hardy novel, at 4:30 p.m. Sunday at the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley, 901 Amherst St., Winchester.
The movie is rated PG-13. Admission is $8 or $5 for MSV and BRH members. Information: 540-678-0963 or www.magiclanterntheater.org.
Barns of Rose Hill
The Barns of Rose Hill will hold the following events at 95 Chalmers Court, Berryville.
• Today: 6 p.m., opening reception for student art and teddy bear exhibits; 7 p.m., holiday concert by the Clarke County Community Band.
• Saturday: 4-5 p.m., fiddle workshop by Bruce Molsky, limited to 20 students, registration deadline is today, cost: $25 in advance or $30 at the door; 8 p.m., concert by fiddler Bruce Molsky. Tickets: $15 in advance, $20 at the door or free for ages 12 and younger.
• Sunday: 1 p.m., performance by the Blue Ridge Dance Studio; 4 p.m., concert by the Clarke County High School Choral Group.
Information: 540-955-2004 or www.barnsofrosehill.org.
Bright Box Theater
Bright Box Theater will have the following concerts this weekend at 15 N. Loudoun St., Winchester.
• Today: 8 p.m., Jonathan Byrd & the Pickup Cowboys with Corin Raymond and Davis Bradley Duo. Tickets are $15.
• Saturday: 8 p.m., Tom Principato (full band) with special guest Tommy Lepson. Tickets are $18.
Information: 540-665-2878, www.brightboxwinchester.com.
The Bowman Shannon Cultural Art Center in Mount Jackson will hold its First Friday event from 7 to 10 p.m. today.
Special musical guests will be Jan and Neil Gillies. There will also be an auction of select artwork.
Food donations appreciated for the food table. Information: 477-4131 or www.theartgroup.org.
Long Branch in Boyce, with the help of local garden clubs, will be decorated as homes would be in the 1920s as part of holiday twilight tours at 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday and again Dec. 12-13 and Dec. 19.
“A Jazz Age Christmas” will also feature a reading of “Twas the Night Before Christmas.” Hot mulled cider and cookies will be served.
Tickets are $10 or free for children under 10. Admission will be half price with a donation of a toy for Toys For Tots. Information: 540-837-1856 or www.visitlongbranch.org.
Masterworks Chorus of the Shenandoah Valley will present a Christmas concert “Angus Dei” today through Sunday at the following locations:
• Today: 7:30 p.m., St. Paul Lutheran Church, Strasburg.
• Saturday: 3 p.m., Emanuel Lutheran Church in Woodstock; 7 p.m., Muhlenberg Lutheran in Harrisonburg.
• Sunday: 3 p.m., Reformation Lutheran Church, New Market.
Tickets are $13 in advance or $15 at the door for adults; $6.50 or $7.50 for children 12 and older and free for children under 12. Information, tickets: 984-6248 or www.masterworkschorus.com.
Holidayfest, featuring a variety of holiday classics and masterworks by James Madison University’s small and large music ensembles, and a holiday reading by a local Harrisonburg celebrity, will be presented at 8 p.m. Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday at Forbes Center.
At 12:30 p.m. prior to the Sunday matinee, children can enjoy crafts, cookies and cider in the Grand Lobby. Tickets are $15-$17. Information: www.jmuforbescenter.com.
Sky Meadows State Park in Delaplane will hold holiday house tours from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
Admission is free although parking ranges from $3 to $4. Information: 540-592-3556.
The Shenandoah Valley Children’s Choir will perform a Christmas concert titled “Angels Sing” at 4 p.m. Sunday in Lehman Auditorium at Eastern Mennonite University.
The concert, treble and preparatory choirs will all perform. Special guests include members of the Staunton Academy of Ballet and guest instrumentalists from James Madison University and EMU.
Tickets range from $7 to $20. Tickets, information: www.emu.edu/box-office.
The Rockingham County Fair Grounds in Harrisonburg will hold its annual Christmas arts and crafts show and sale from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday.
Print This Article