Community News & Events for Jan. 12
A card shower is planned for James “Jim” Trail, who will celebrate his 80th birthday Jan. 13. Cards can be sent to 1327 Coffmantown Road, Woodstock 22664.
The Shenandoah Poetry Alliance will host an open mic poetry night from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at Handley Library in Winchester. Information: www.handleyregional.org.
Bowman Library in Stephens City will hold the following activities:
• Learn Spanish: 4:15 p.m., Wednesday and Jan. 20. Children and their parents learn Spanish through the use of games, songs, puppets and picture books.
• Game night: 5:30 p.m., Friday for middle- and high-school students to play electronic, card and computer games. Chaperones present, snacks provided.
• The Chess Club will meet at 10 a.m. Saturday. Members of the Shenandoah Valley Chess Club will help participants learn to play or develop new moves. Open to all ages and skill levels.
• Penguin Appreciation Day: 11 a.m., Saturday. Celebrate penguins during this story-sharing event for the whole family with young children. Learn about penguins, hear stories and join in skating on the indoor “rink.” There will also be songs and refreshments.
• Family Film Saturdays: 1 p.m., showing the movie “Penguins of Madagascar.”
Pain support group
The ACPA Chronic Pain Support Group will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday and Jan. 28 at Greenwood United Methodist Church in Winchester. Information: Randy Wolf at 540-327-5233.
The Museum of the Shenandoah Valley has announced the following programs at 901 Amherst St., Winchester:
• “The Life of a Costume” lecture: 7-8 p.m. Thursday, learn the process of costume design from Shenandoah University costume designers Cheryl Yancey and Jennifer Adams. Explore CUT! from 6-7 p.m. before the program. Admission is $5 for MSV members or $12 for nonmembers.
• Gallery Talk: People, Paintings and Costumes: 2-3 p.m. Friday. MSV Deputy Director of Arts and Education Nancy Huth will compare fashion depicted in paintings in Face to Face with costumes in CUT! Admission is free for MSV members or $10 for nonmembers.
• Gallery Explorers-Face to Face: 10:30 a.m.-noon, Saturday and Jan. 19, for ages 4 and older. Explore portraits in the Face to Face exhibit and make cut-paper portraits. Admission is $3 for MSV members or $5 for nonmembers.
• Concert: 3 p.m. Sunday, Australian saxophonist Justin Kenealy, along with piano accompaniment, will perform. Admission is free for MSV members or $10 for nonmembers.
• Care of dresses and gowns workshop: 10-11 a.m., Jan. 27, led by MSV Registrar and Collections Manager Kyle Bryner, learn how to clean, stabilize and preserve wedding dresses, christening gowns and other treasured garments. Admission is $10 for MSV members or $15 for nonmembers.
Information: 540-662-1473 or themsv.org.
Violinist Corinne Stillwell will perform at 8 p.m. Thursday in the Recital Hall at James Madison University’s Forbes Center. Stillwell, who was accepted at Julliard at the age of 10, is a soloist, chamber musician and orchestral leader. Tickets are $11-$12. Information: www.jmuforbescenter.com.
The Frederick County Regional Landfill will close at noon on Friday in observance of Lee-Jackson Day and at noon Monday in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
The Church of the Rock Clothing Ministry will offer free clothing from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. Friday and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at the John Wesley United Methodist Church in Front Royal.
The Museum of the Shenandoah Valley will sponsor showings of the film “Sherlock Holmes” starring Jude Law and Robert Downey Jr. at 10:30 a.m. Friday and 10 a.m. Saturday through Thursday at the Alamo Drafthouse in Winchester.
North Warren Volunteer Fire and Rescue Company 10 will hold a country breakfast from 7 to 11 a.m. Saturday in the fire hall at 89 Rockland Road, Front Royal. The menu includes pancakes, biscuits, sausage, bacon, gravy, eggs, baked apples and drinks. Cost is $8 for adults, $4 for ages 4-12 and free for children under 3.
A ribbon-cutting ceremony of the new Sentara RMH Orthopedic Center in Harrisonburg will be held at noon Saturday on the RMH Medical Center campus. An open house with self-guided tours and refreshments will be held from 12:30 to 3 p.m.
Samuels Public Library in Front Royal will host Discuss This, a teen discussion group, at 2 p.m. Saturday for ages 14-20. Participants are encouraged to share the things they are inspired by such as music, art, books and more. Information: 540-635-3153.
The Shenandoah County 4-H Livestock Club will hold a steak dinner from 4 to 7 p.m. Saturday at Wakemans Grove Church of the Brethren in Edinburg. Tickets should be purchased in advance. Information: Tammy Ross at 477-2092.
Anne Reagan, of Front Royal, was named to the dean’s list for the fall term at the University of Saint Mary in Leavenworth, Kansas.
The following students have been named to the dean’s list for the fall semester at Shepherd University:
• Kristen M. Fristoe, of Bentonville.
• Nemo A. Hirschberg, of Front Royal.
Send in your events to firstname.lastname@example.org and your news to email@example.com.
Print This Article