Community News & Events for June 1
- A card shower is planned for Shirley and Russell (Joe) Gochenour, who will celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary Friday. Cards can be sent to 2691 Mt. Olive Road, Toms Brook 22660.
- A card shower is planned for Terry and Sherry Graham, who will celebrate their 49th wedding anniversary Friday. Cards can be sent to 109 N. Lee St., Woodstock 22664.
- A card shower is planned for Vena Morgan, who will celebrate her birthday Monday. Cards can be sent to her c/o Classic Cut, 1189 S. Main St., Woodstock 22664.
Kevin George, a graduate student studying conflict transformation at Eastern Mennonite University, will be the speaker at the luncheon meeting of the Rotary Club of New Market at noon today at the Shenvalee Golf Resort in Miller Grille.
George also graduated from Nigeria’s University of Uyo and holds a master’s degree in history from Eastern Tennessee State University. His goal is to become a conflict resolution specialist with the United Nations. Information: www.newmarketrotaryclub.net.
Our Health Inc. will resume its First Wednesday Healthy Living and Farmer’s Market events from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. today on the Kendall Community Campus, 329 N. Cameron St., Winchester.
There will be free health screenings, healthy eating consultations, local vendors offering fresh produce and baked goods for sale.
Information: 540-536-1600 or email@example.com
Handley Regional Library has announced the following activities being held today:
- 11 a.m.: the 2016 book title for the One Book One Community program will be announced. A reception will follow with one attendee receiving a free copy of the book.
• 7 p.m.: meet Howard Means, author of “67 Shots: Kent State and the End of American Innocence.”
Information: Barbara Dickinson at 540-662-9041, ext. 31 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Shenandoah Garden Club will meet at 9:45 a.m. Thursday at the Narrow Passage Inn in Edinburg. The program will be on making floral arrangements for friends in the nursing home or homebound.
Officers will be installed at 11:15 a.m. followed by a memorial service for deceased members.
Emmanuel Baptist Church in Winchester will celebrate its 50th anniversary with special services Thursday through Sunday at 2774 Northwestern Pike, Winchester.
- Thursday and Friday: 7 p.m., Dr. Jim Schettler from West Coast Baptist College will speak.
- Saturday: 6:30 p.m., concert by Evangelist Bruce Frye.
- Sunday: 9:45 and 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. worship services led by Evangelist Frye.
Friday is the deadline to sign up for the Winchester sightseeing trolley tour at 10 a.m. June 11.
The tour, which starts at the Winchester-Frederick County Visitors Center, will include parts of the Second Battle of Winchester, nearly 60 historical sites and museums.
The cost is $10. Information: 540-662-4946 or register online at www. webtrac.winchesterva.gov.
Strasburg Christian Church will sponsor 25 cent bingo on Saturday. Food will be available at 5 p.m. followed by games from 6 to 9 p.m.
Restoration Fellowship Church in Strasburg will host an arts, crafts and vendor show from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday.
Proceeds benefit the Restore Hope House Food Pantry. Information: Maggie at 465-2722 or RHHMAGGIE@yahoo.com.
The Shenandoah County Extension Service has announced the following 4-H meetings:
- Toms Brook 4-H Club and Cloverbuds: 6 p.m. Sunday at the United Methodist Church.
- 4-H /FFA goat and sheep weigh-in: 6 to 8 p.m. Monday at the county fairgrounds in Woodstock.
- Extension Leadership Council: 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Extension office in Woodstock.
- Seven Bends 4-H Shooting Education Club: 7 p.m. Tuesday at Round Hill Church of the Brethren.
- 4-H/FFA swine tagging: 7-8 p.m. Tuesday at the county fairgrounds in Woodstock.
- 4-H/FFA livestock management plans will be presented at 6 p.m. Wednesday at the county Extension office. Information: 459-6140.
The Fort Valley Ruritan Club will hold a pancake and sausage breakfast from 7 a.m. to noon Sunday at the fire hall. A free-will offering will be collected to benefit Bo Snyder.
The Claude A. Stokes Jr. community swimming pool is open for the season. Hours are noon to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and noon to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
The Shenandoah Memorial Hospital Auxiliary is seeking new members. Hours and days are flexible. Information: Linda Thompson at 459-4360.
- Golda Lee Albert, of Strasburg, has been named to the dean’s list for the spring term at Fort Hays State University.
She is a sophomore majoring in tourism and hospitality management.
- Kamila Nosirova, of Front Royal, graduated May 7 from Shepherd University.
- Jesilynn D. Todd, of Linden, graduated May 7 from Shepherd University.
- The following students at the College of William & Mary were named to the dean’s list for the spring semester:
Berryville: Emily Deem.
Bluemont: Joel T. Monroe.
Boyce: Anne K. Burns.
Clear Brook: Taylor N. Brooks and Alaina N. Cooper.
Front Royal: Emily G. Crawford and Grace Hofbauer.
Lake Frederick: Mary K. Adgie.
Linden: Jenna E. Carroll.
Middletown: Joshua B. Greenfield.
Stephens City: Kathleen Lauer and Alyson B. Myers.
Stephenson: Hong-Anh Ngoc Tran.
Winchester: Jennie P. Cuddeback, Robin T. de Azagra, Emily Jackson, Thomas A. Northrup and Erin M. Roberts.
Send in your events to email@example.com and your news to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Print This Article