Community News & Events for May 19
- A card shower is planned for Karen Kibler, who will celebrate her birthday on May 22. Her address is 608 Allegheny Circle, Woodstock 22664.
- A card shower is planned for David McClanahan, who will celebrate his 91st birthday May 23. Cards can be sent to 5311 Saint Davids Church Road, Fort Valley 22652.
- A card shower is planned for Eva Mae Pifer, who will celebrate her 89th birthday May 25. Cards can be sent to 145 Hailey Lane, Apt. F-10, Strasburg 22657.
The Hudson Cross Roads Men’s Group will be selling barbeque chicken starting at 8:30 a.m. Saturday at Hudson Cross Roads. The cost is $4 per half.
Schultz Theatre in New Market will hold auditions at 1 p.m. Saturday for its August production of “Anne of Green Gables.” Information: www.schultztheatre.com.
The Edinburg VFW Post 2447 will sell barbecue chicken starting at 10 a.m. Saturday. Orders must be picked up by 1 p.m. The cost is $4 per half. Preorders welcome.
Shenandoah Valley Westminster Canterbury will host the annual Generations Walkathon beginning 8:30 a.m. Saturday in Winchester.
In the event of rain, Tonia Sweeney with Caring Angels Home Health will lead an easy exercise program.
All funds raised will be used locally to support seven local Active Living Centers, Meals on Wheels, WellTran, VICAP and other supportive senior programs.
The Warren County Health & Human Services Complex Gym will be closed Monday through June 11 for floor repairs. The gym will reopen on June 12.
The Lunch Bunch will meet at noon on Monday at the Strasburg United Methodist Church. Information: 465-3418.
New Market 4-H
The New Market 4-H Club and Cloverbuds will meet at 6 p.m. Monday at Reformation Lutheran Church. Information: 459-6140.
Warren County Girl Scout Gold Award alumni are invited to attend the service unit meeting at 6:30 p.m. Monday at Buckton Presbyterian Church in Front Royal.
Alumni members will be recognized as part of Girl Scouts’ 100th anniversary of the award, the highest honor earned in Girl Scouting.
The Shenandoah Valley Chorus, a ladies a capella group, is seeking new members.
Weekly practices are held from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. on Mondays at the First Christian Church in Winchester.
There will be no meeting on May 30. Information: 540-955-2851.
The Shenandoah County Library System will host the Library of Virginia’s traveling exhibit “Virginia Women in History” from Monday through June 30.
The exhibit celebrates the accomplishments of Sarah A. Gray, Katherine Coleman Goble Johnson, Flora Lonette Davis Crittenden, Elizabeth Lee “Betty” Masters, Edwilda Gustava Allen Isaac, Meyera Fran Ellenson Oberndorf, Ana Ines King and Mary Elizabeth Nottingham Day.
The exhibit will be on display during regular business hours at the following locations:
- Shenandoah County Library, Edinburg: Wednesday-June 4 and June 27-30. A special opening reception will be held from 7 to 9 p.m. May 31.
- Mount Jackson Town Hall/Museum: June 6-11.
- New Market Area Library: June 13-19.
- Hupps Hill Civil War Park, Strasburg: June 20-24.
- Historic Shenandoah County Courthouse, Woodstock: June 24-26 and during Vintage Woodstock and Sunday 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
Information: Zachary Hottel at 984-8200 or email@example.com.
Shani Figgins Buchholz earned a master’s of liberal arts degree with a concentration in horrific literature from the University of Richmond School of Professional and Continuing Studies on May 9.
She received the MLA Book and Golden Key awards.
The daughter of Kenneth and Virginia Cooley, of Front Royal, and the late Roger Figgins, she serves as the assistant to the Dean of International Education at the University of Richmond.
Send in your events to firstname.lastname@example.org and your news to email@example.com.