Community News & Events
A card shower is planned for Viola Burner, who will celebrate her 88th birthday June 2. Cards can be sent to her c/o Greenfield of Woodstock, 935 Ox Road, Woodstock 22664.
Limeton United Methodist Church will sell pork barbecue sandwiches with slaw and baked beans starting at 9 a.m. Saturday at Asbury United Methodist Church on state Route 340 South. Proceeds benefit the Warren Charge’s upcoming mission trip.
The following locations will be closed Monday in observance of Memorial Day:
- The New Market Area Library
- The Shenandoah County Extension office in Woodstock
- All branches of the Handley Regional Library, Handley in Winchester, Clarke County in Berryville and Bowman in Stephens City
- Shenandoah County Library in Edinburg
June 5 is the deadline to register for a ServSafe manager’s course sponsored by the Frederick County Extension Office from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. June 10 and 14 at MidAtlantic Farm Credit in Winchester.
Cost is $150 if received before June 5 and groups of 10 or more pay a reduced rate. Information, registration: 540-665-5699 or www.offices.ext.vt.edu/frederick/programs.
Bumble bee hosts
BlandyExperimental Farm in Boyce is recruiting homeowners to assist with a study on the bumble bee population decline in Virginia by hosting a bumble bee colony in their yard for the summer.
Blandy will provide all materials and no expertise is needed. All that is required is that you are a reliable contact and are able to let the scientists at Blandy set up a colony in your yard and then visit the colony every two weeks. Ideal sites include those that are in the middle of a town or developed area. The colony will be set up in a corner of the yard so that it won’t interfere with day-to-day activities.
People interested in participating are asked to contact T’ai Roulston at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Emily Ann Walker, a 2014 graduate of Central High School, has been named to the president’s list at Glenville State College for the spring semester. She is the daughter of Sherri and Steve Walker, of Strasburg.
Donald Sobanko graduated May 7 with a bachelor’s degree in computer science and technology from Radford University. He was named to the dean’s list for the spring semester. Sobanko has accepted a position as a systems engineer with Solers Inc. in Arlington. A 2012 graduate of Stonewall Jackson High School, he is the son of Don and Val Sobanko of New Market.
The following students at Bridgewater College have been named to the dean’s list for the spring term:
• Clear Brook: Aubrey Gum, a senior majoring in psychology.
• Edinburg: Bekah Breen, a junior majoring in English; Julia Sigler, a sophomore majoring in liberal studies.
• Front Royal: Jeremy Gingrich, a sophomore majoring in physics and mathematics; Connor McMackin, a sophomoe majoring in biology.
• Linden: Megan Henry, a sophomore majoring in business administration.
• Strasburg: Alyssa Stickley, a senior majoring in biology.
• Winchester: Chandler DeHaven, a senior majoring in biology, earning a 4.0 grade-point average.
• Woodstock: Kevin Selby, a junior majoring in music, earning a 4.0 grade-point average.
Samuel G. Estep, a home-schooled student from Berryville, has been named a $2,500 National Merit Scholarship winner.
Send in your events to email@example.com and your news to firstname.lastname@example.org.