Community News & Events
Actor and Strasburg native David Maloney will introduce a showing of “Men Go to Battle” at the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema in Winchester at 1:20 p.m. Saturday.
Admission is $7. Maloney, who plays the role of Francis Mellon in the film, will also hold a short Q&A session after the showing.
A card shower is planned for Barbara Holloway, who will celebrate her 80th birthday July 22. Cards can be sent to 778 Wisman Road, Woodstock 22664.
Handley Regional Library is partnering with Alama Drafthouse Cinema to support Kids Camp at the Alamo by showing a new movie each week in July.
From today through Thursday, the movie being shown will be “Jumanji.” Viewings begin at 10:30 a.m. Patrons are asked to pay $1-$3 per person. Information: Donna Hughes at 540-869-9000 ext. 215.
The Shenandoah Valley Music Festival Guild will hold a luncheon meeting at 11:30 a.m. Thursday at Dubliners Celtic Pub in Luray.
Cost is $20 per person. Special entertainment will be Trackside Theatre performing numbers from their upcoming production “Schoolhouse Rock Live!” Reservations should be made by Saturday by calling Kathy Scott at 459-3245 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Coffee with Chris
District Del. Christopher Collins will host his discussion series “Coffee with Chris” at 10 a.m. Saturday at the Espresso Bar and Cafe in Winchester. The topic of discussion will be education. Information: 540-539-1724 or email@example.com.
Samuels Public Library in Front Royal has announced the following activities being held:
• Saturday: 2 p.m., Teens Create, program on repurposing old clothes into cool accessories.
• Tuesday: 3:30 p.m., big kids story time for ages 6 and older. Theme: Oink, silly stories and crafts about pigs.
• Wednesday and Thursday: 10:15 a.m., toddler story time; 11 a.m., preschool story time. The theme will be stories, songs and crafts about the ocean. Siblings welcome.
Edinburg VFW Post 2447 will sell chicken barbecue starting at 10 a.m. Saturday. Cost is $4 per half. Orders must be picked up by 1 p.m. Pre-orders can be made by calling 984-4355.
The following volunteers are scheduled at the Strasburg Museum:
• Sunday: morning, John Adamson; afternoon, Doris Baker and Pat Clem.
• Monday: morning, Trina Bailey; afternoon, Libby Truesdale and Terry Sobers.
• Tuesday: morning, Trina Bailey; afternoon, Gloria Church and Betty Sue Howard.
• Wednesday: morning, Jackie Richard; afternoon, Sue Foster.
• Thursday: morning, Bob and Ida Smith; afternoon, Marie Spence and Sherry Anderson.
• Friday: morning, Polly Wilson; afternoon, Gloria Stickley.
• Saturday: morning, Margo and Lynn; afternoon, Donna Bollhoefer.
Handley Regional Library will hold family summer reading programs as part of the Read for the Win Mondays through Aug. 1.
The Bowman Puppets will perform at 10:30 a.m. Monday at Barns of Rose Hill in Berryville and 2 p.m. at Handley Library in Winchester. Information: Laurine Kennedy at 540-955-5144.
The Shenandoah County Extension office will host a junior naturalist exploration camp from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday at the county Government Center in Woodstock for ages 10 to 14.
Hands-on exploration activities will focus on the importance of conserving and preserving our natural resources. Students will also spend time with a forest ranger from the Virginia Department of Forestry. Cost is $95. Registration required by calling 459-6140 or online at www.scprsignup.info.
The Shenandoah County Extension office has announced the following 4-H club meetings:
• Lebanon Church 4-H Club and Cloverbuds will meet at 7 p.m. Monday at the community center.
• Cabin Hill 4-H Club and Cloverbuds will meet at 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Conicville Fire Department.
The Bread of Life Food Pantry in Woodstock will distribute food from 1 to 4 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday. Appointments can be arranged by calling 540-459-1928.
Dupont Community Credit Union in Woodstock will host the Shenandoah County Chamber of Commerce Business After Hours meeting from 5:30 to 7 p.m. Tuesday.
The Warren Memorial Hospital Auxiliary in Front Royal will hold a book and gift fair fundraiser from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday and 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday in the hospital’s third-floor conference room.
This is a special clearance event with items up to 30 to 70 percent off retail pricing.
The Compassion Cupboard will distribute food from 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 3 p.m. Tuesday at 533 Burgess St., Strasburg. Information: 465-9476.
Send in your events to firstname.lastname@example.org and your news to email@example.com.
Print This Article