Highland games coming to Kernstown Battlefield
Scottish Highland warrior enthusiasts can watch national and local athletes compete in Highland games at the Kernstown Battlefield in Frederick County from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday.
The Kernstown Battlefield Association and Clan Adrenaline will host the competition for its inaugural year.
Robert Monroe, head of Clan Adrenaline, said he has 23 athletes competing, along with four judges, for the nine events that will be held during the competition.
He said the nine Scottish heavy athletic events will include:
• Open stone, which is similar to the Olympic shot put.
• Braemar stone, which is a heavy stone standing throw
• Light-weight throw for distance, which is similar to the Olympic discus.
• Heavy weight throw for distance.
• Light hammer throw, which is a distance event similar to the Olympic hammer.
• Heavy hammer throw.
• Weight over bar, which is a height event.
• Sheaf toss, which is a height event using a pitchfork to toss a weighted burlap bag over a bar.
• Caber toss, which is an accuracy event to turn the pole, made from a tree, end over end.
He said the various competing athletes include two Strasburg track and field athletes Daniella Henry and Ryan Day, Frank Henry a four-time masters world champion and Matt Hand, who is ranked in the Top 10 in North America.
Athletes are required to wear a kilt during the events, he said.
Sue Golden, volunteer chair with the Kernstown Battlefield Association, said the competition was created to “bring a new event to our battlefield.”
She said people from all over the country will be traveling in to see and participate in the event.
Tours of the battlefield, 1854 Pritchard House and the Museum and the Artillery Collection will also be available on Saturday, she said.
Those who attending should bring their own chairs and blankets to watch the competition. Food and beverages will be available for purchase.
The event is free to attend, but donations will be accepted.
IF YOU GO:
WHEN: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday
WHERE: Kernstown Battlefied at 610 Battle Park Drive, Winchester
Contact staff writer Kaley Toy at 540-465-5137 ext. 176, or firstname.lastname@example.org