Community News & Events for Aug. 9
A card shower is planned for Clayton Will, who will celebrate his 90th birthday Aug. 14. Cards can be sent to 274 Hopewell Ave., Mount Jackson 22842.
Handley Youth Services librarian Aimee Gangai will be the reader for the Tiny Tales story-time program at 11 a.m. Wednesday for ages 2-5 in the Glen Burnie House at the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley, 901 Amherst St., Winchester. Information: www.handleyregional.org.
Handley Regional Library in Winchester will hold the following programs on Wednesday:
• STEAMworks program: 3 p.m., for ages 6-12. Kids will explore science, technology, engineering, arts and math through a variety of activities.
• Open mic poetry night: 6-8 p.m., sponsored by Shenandoah Poetry Alliance.
The Christian Women’s Club will meet at noon Thursday at the Shenandoah Valley Golf Club in Front Royal. The theme will be All That Jazz.
Tempe Brown, a former nightclub singer from Greenville, South Carolina, will be the guest speaker discussing “Putting the Puzzle of Life Together Without the Box Lid.”
The cost is $14. Free childcare provided. Reservations: Betty at 540-622-2939 or Shirley at 540-635-4560.
The Virginia Cooperative Extension Service will host a Graze 300 Virginia twilight tour beginning at 6:30 p.m. Thursday at the Karla Funkhouser farm near Lebanon Church at 1346 Old Grade Road, Strasburg.
Preregistration not required. Information: 459-6140.
The Little North Mountain 4-H Shooting Education Club will meet at 6:30 p.m. Thursday at Liberty Baptist Church in Strasburg. Information: 459-6140.
Bowman Library in Stephens City will host a Harry Potter-themed sleepover party from 8 p.m. Friday to 8 a.m. Saturday for middle- and high-school students.
“Harry Potter” movies will be shown throughout the night and themed activities include a Quiddich Match, Sorting Hat and Room of Requirement.
The Shenandoah County Library in Edinburg will hold a family fun scavenger hunt at 4:30 p.m. Friday.
The Shenandoah County Extension Master Gardeners will be available to answer home horticulture questions from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at the South Street Barn Market at the American Legion parking lot in Woodstock. Information: 459-6140.
The Warren County Parks and Recreation Department will offer the following classes at the county community center:
• Defensive firearm safety: 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Saturday, open to ages 10 and older, but those under 18 must be accompanied by an adult. Cost: $75. Information: Rex King at DFV357@yahoo.com.
• Take award-winning photos: 10:30 a.m.-noon, Saturday and Aug. 20, for ages 12 and older. Cost: $35. Preregistration required for both classes by calling 540-635-1021 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Shrum family will hold a reunion at 5 p.m. Saturday at Dickie Shrum’s river lot on Cemetery Road in Woodstock. Pork barbecue will be provided. Those attending are asked to bring a covered dish to share.
Samuels Library in Front Royal will hold the following activities on Saturday:
• Kooky Chefs: 11 a.m., kid chefs will try all the heirloom varieties of tomatoes in the garden in a tomato tasting party, for ages 7 and older.
• Aspiring artists’ art class: 2 p.m., for ages 7 to 11. Program will be on sponge painting trees.
Registration, information: 540-635-3153.
Ruritan summer sale
Aug. 19 is the deadline to rent spaces or tables for the Round Hill Ruritan Club’s “Dog Days of Summer” sale from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Aug. 27 at 164 Poorhouse Road, Winchester.
Breakfast and lunch provided by the Ladies of the Rescue Mission. Spaces/table rentals $10 each. Information, reservations: 540-514-5746.
Send in your events to email@example.com and your news to firstname.lastname@example.org.