Community News & Events for Sept. 29
A card shower is planned for Charles Lichliter, who will celebrate his 80th birthday on Oct. 4. Cards can be sent to 6378 Woodstock Tower Road, Fort Valley 22652.
A card shower is planned for Ruth V. Fogle, who will celebrate her 97th birthday Oct. 4. Cards can be sent to 123 Bellview Ave., Winchester 22601.
The Shenandoah County Library, in Edinburg, will celebrate National Archives Month with an exhibit from the Truban Archives titled “Art in the Archives” every Friday and Saturday in October at the following locations:
• Hupps Hill: 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
• Strasburg Museum: 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
• Woodstock Museum: 1-4 p.m.
• Shenandoah County Historic Courthouse: 11 a.m.-4 p.m.
• Edinburg Mill: 9:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
• Edinburg Forest Service office featuring the CCC Legacy: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Fridays and 1-4 p.m. Saturdays.
• Shenandoah County Library: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Fridays and 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturdays.
• Mount Jackson Museum: 1-4 p.m. Fridays and 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturdays.
• New Market Library: 1-5 p.m. Fridays and 9:30 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturdays.
Each site will have unique items. Admission is free. Pick up a passport to have it stamped at each location visited to be entered to win a special prize package. Information: 984-8200.
Car wash/pig roast
Sunshine House will hold a car wash and pig roast from 2 to 5 p.m. Saturday at 9200 N. Congress St., New Market (near Rebel Park and the community center).
Donations accepted for the car wash. Homemade barbecue sandwich platter with coleslaw, baked beans, green beans and corn: $8.
Warren County Parks and Recreation will offer the following programs:
• Youth open gym: 2-4 p.m., Sundays through Dec. 18 at the Warren County Health and Human Services Complex, W. 15th St., Front Royal. Open to ages 15 and younger, $3 per person.
• Tiny Tykes Basketball League (for boys and girls ages 5 and 6): practices held Sundays at Ressie Jeffries Elementary School. Games begin Jan. 15. Cost is $45. Age verification required.
• Youth basketball leagues (for boys and girls ages 7-14): Monday through Oct. 28. Practices held weekly including Saturdays until games begin Dec. 3. Cost is $65. Age verification required. Practice locations and times vary. Games held at Warren County Health and Human Services Complex or Ressie Jeffries Elementary School. Information: 540-635-1021 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shenandoah County Library Archivist Zachary Hottel will participate in “Ask An Archivist Day” from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday for the public to ask, either in person or through social media, about preserving their personal collections and ways to collect with local history.
Use #askanarchivist to follow the conversation on social media. Information: 984-8200.
Shenandoah County Library in Edinburg will hold Messy Monday from 2 to 2:45 p.m. Monday for ages 2 and up plus their caregivers. Children should wear play clothes. Information: 984-8200.
The Type 2 Diabetes Support Group will meet at 5:45 p.m. Monday on the first floor of the old Valley Hospital, 333 W. Cork St., Winchester. Members should note the new meeting location.
Information: Deborah at 540-536-5106.
The Woodstock United Methodist Church will host a Grief Share Recovery Support Group from 6 to 8 p.m. Mondays through Dec. 19. Attendance is free.
Information, registration: 459-4144 or online at www.griefshare.org/groups.
The Shenandoah Valley Chorus is seeking women interested in singing Christmas songs in barbershop style. Rehearsals are held at 6:30 p.m. Mondays at the First Christian Church in Winchester. Information: 540-955-2851.
The Havana Cuba All-Stars, an 11-piece acoustic band, will perform at 8 p.m. Tuesday at Bright Box Theater, 15 N. Loudoun St., Winchester.
Tickets are $25. Information: 540-665-4569 or email email@example.com.
Send in your events to firstname.lastname@example.org and your news to email@example.com.
Print This Article