The following are some of the area events that will be held this weekend:
Shenandoah Conservatory in Winchester has announced the following programs:
• The Jazz Ensemble will perform works from the Blue Note Era at 8 p.m. today in Armstrong Concert Hall. Tickets: $12.
• Artist-in-residence and opera-producing director Nancy Gustafson will partner with a guest artist to perform “Creation of the Character” at 8 p.m. today and Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday in the Shingleton Dance Space. Tickets: $12.
• The Wind Ensemble, with guest composer Jim Bonney, will perform at 8 p.m. Saturday in Armstrong Concert Hall. Tickets: $12.
• Pianist Nikolay Khozyainov will perform at 3 p.m. Sunday in Armstrong Concert Hall. Tickets: $20.
Information, tickets: 540-665-4569 or email@example.com.
Belle Grove Plantation, south of Middletown, will host an antiques appraisal fair from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday. Appraisals will be done on a first-come, first-served basis. The cost for verbal appraisals will be $10 for one item and $25 for three. Those having items appraised will also receive free admission to tour the Manor House. Information: 540-869-2028 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bowman Library in Stephens City will host a free showing of the movie “Zootopia” at 1 p.m. Saturday. Bring a picnic lunch and blanket. Library teens will be serving popcorn and lemonade. Information: 540-622-9041.
The Shenandoah County Public School All-County Orchestra, featuring students in grades 7 to 12, will perform at 7 p.m. Saturday at Stonewall Jackson High School in Quicksburg.
Active duty military, veterans, first responders and their families are invited for free tours, lunch and more from noon to 4 p.m. Sunday at Kernstown Battlefield, 610 Battle Park Drive, Winchester. Information: 540-869-2896.
The Magic Lantern Theater will host a screening of “Mustang,” a Turkish Oscar-nominated drama about five sisters and their fight for a future where they can make their own choices, at 4:30 p.m. Sunday at the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley, 901 Amherst St., Winchester.Admission is $8 or $5 for Theater, Museum and Barns of Rose Hill members. Information: 540-678-0963 or www.magiclanterntheater.org.
Bright Box Theater will have the following performances this weekend at 15 N. Loudoun St., Winchester:
• Today: 7:30 p.m., Goodnight Moonshine with Emy and Ethan, tickets $8-$12; 8 p.m., On The Bus with Secondhand Reggae Band, tickets $8-$12.
• Saturday: 5 p.m., classic murder mystery dinner theatre “Trick Or Treat,” tickets $25; 8 p.m., Patty Reese Band with Mary-eL, tickets $10-$15.
Information: 540-665-2878, www.brightboxwinchester.com.
James Madison University will present two plays this weekend at Forbes Center for the Performing Arts, 147 Warsaw Ave., Harrisonburg:
• Julian Sands will perform “A Celebration of Harold Pinter” at 8 p.m. today. Tickets: $38-$45.
• “The Tempest” by William Shakespeare: at 8 p.m. today and 2 and 8 p.m. Saturday. Tickets range from $11 to $15.
• John Steptoe’s Mufaro’s Beautiful Daughters: An African Tale: at 6:30 p.m. Saturday (recommended for grades K-6). Tickets range from $16 to $19.
Print This Article