Community News & Events: Feb. 25
St. Paul Lutheran Church in Strasburg will hold special services for Shrove Tuesday and Ash Wednesday.
The annual pancake supper and variety show will begin at 5:30 pm. Tuesday. A community meal (free-will donation accepted) will be held at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday followed by a worship service with Imposition of Ashes at 6:30 p.m. Information: 540-465-3232 or email@example.com.
The New Market Area Library will celebrate Dr. Seuss’ birthday and the annual Read Across America event from 5 to 6 p.m. on Wednesday. Snow date is March 3.
Activities include face painting, cooking green eggs and ham, making a Dr. Seuss hat, stories and a birthday cake.
Samuels Public Library in Front Royal will hold the following programs:
• Wednesday and Thursday: 10:15 a.m., toddler story time; 11 a.m., preschool story time. Theme: Dr. Seuss stories.
• Thursday: 10:15 and 11 a.m., Read Across America celebration sponsored by the Kiwanis Club of Front Royal. Featuring a special Dr. Seuss breakfast.
Lebanon Lutheran Church will hold Ash Wednesday services at 6 a.m., noon and 7 p.m. Wednesday.
Bowman Library in Stephens City will hold the following story time programs during March:
• Preschool (ages 2-5): 11 a.m., Wednesdays.
• Baby Time (birth-15 months): 11 a.m., Thursdays.
• Seussational story time: 11 a.m., March 4. Dress as your favorite Seuss character.
• Toddler Time (3 and under): 11 a.m., March 6, 20 and 27.
• Storycrafters (all ages): 6 p.m., Tuesdays.
• Preschool Time (3 and up): 11 a.m., March 11, 18 and 25.
• Paws for Reading with therapy dogs: 1 p.m., March 11 and 25.
The Rotary Club of New Market will meet at noon Wednesday at Shenvalee Golf Resort in Miller Grille. There will no guest speaker, only a club meeting. Information: www.newmarketrotaryclub.net.
Handley Library in Winchester will hold the following story-time programs in March:
• Stories with a Sheriff (all ages): 4 p.m., Wednesday.
• Toddler Time (3 and under): 10:30 a.m., Thursdays.
• Preschool (3 and up): 10:30 a.m., Mondays.
• Baby Time (birth-15 months): 10:30 a.m., Tuesdays.
• Paws for Reading (beginner readers): 1 p.m., March 10, 17, and 20.
Trinity Lutheran Church in Stephens City, in cooperation with Sherando Presbyterian Church, will host a mobile Ash Wednesday for commuters from 4 to 6 p.m. on Wednesday.
Pastors Rose Wayland and Cameron Keyser will be in the Trinity parking lot for motorists to receive ashes on their foreheads. Information: 540-869-4019.
Libraries in the Shenandoah County Library System will celebrate Dr. Seuss’ birthday and Read Across America by holding the following programs:
• New Market Area Library: 5-6 p.m., Wednesday.
• Strasburg Community Library: 4-5:30 p.m., Thursday.
• Mount Jackson Community Library: 5:30-7 p.m., Thursday.
• Shenandoah County Library in Edinburg: 4:30-5:30 p.m., Thursday.
• Fort Valley Community Library: 10:30 a.m. story time, Friday.
Information: Erica Hepner at 984-8200.
Warren County Parks and Recreation has announced the following programs:
• Jazzercise: 5:15 p.m., Mondays through Thursdays, RES Youth Center. Information: Karen Hattenback, 540-323-6492 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Little Movers Ballet (ages 2-1/2 to 4): 6-6:30 p.m., starts Wednesday, $35.
• Ballet I (ages 5-9): 6:30-7:15 p.m., starts Wednesday, $55.
• Ballet II (ages 5-9): 7:15-8 p.m., starts Wednesday.
All ballet classes are held at the Warren County Health and Human Services Complex. Information, registration: email@example.com.
The Shenandoah County Extension office in Woodstock has announced the following meetings will be held:
• Edinburg FCE Club will meet at 1:30 p.m. on Wednesday at the Extension office.
• 4-H Goat Club will meet at 7 p.m. on Wednesday in the cafeteria at Central High School.
• 4-H/FFA livestock show and sale executive committee will meet at 7 p.m. on Wednesday at the Extension office.
• Wesley Chapel FCE will meet at 1 p.m. on Thursday at the Extension office.
The Woodstock United Methodist Church will hold an Ash Wednesday service at 7 p.m. Wednesday.
“When Breath Becomes Air” by Paul Kalanithi will be the selection for Brown Bags with Books at noon on Thursday hosted by the Clarke County Library at Barns of Rose Hill in Berryville.
Samuels Public Library in Front Royal will host “Exploring Computers” for adults at 1 p.m. Thursdays in March. Classes will focus on the Microsoft Word program. Information: 540-635-3153 or www.samuelslibrary.net.
Factivities, a STEM program for children ages 6-11, will be held from 3:45 to 4:45 p.m. on Thursdays at the Clarke County Library in Berryville.
Information: Laurine Kennedy at 540-955-5144 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Virginia Cooperative Extension is seeking volunteers interested in helping families learn skills to manage their finances more effectively.
The training series will be held from 6 to 9 p.m. on Tuesdays beginning March 7 for nine weeks in Front Royal.
Following training, volunteers agree to provide a minimum of 50 hours of service to the program. Bi-lingual volunteers are especially needed.
Information: Karen Poff at 540-635-4549 or email email@example.com or visit www.offices.ext.vt.edu/warren/programs/fcs/NSVFEP/Pages/Volunteer.html.
Send in your events to firstname.lastname@example.org and your news to email@example.com.
Print This Article