Community News & Events for Feb. 15
The Evans Home for Children will hold its annual chili dinner fundraiser from 5:30 to 8 p.m. Friday at the Braddock Street United Methodist Church in Winchester.
The church’s Praise Band will provide entertainment.
Tickets are $7 for adults and $5 for children 12 and under in advance or $8 and $6 at the door. Tickets, information: 540-662-8520 or email@example.com.
The Shenandoah Valley Amateur Radio Club will meet at 7:30 p.m. Friday at the clubhouse at 2921 Grace St., Winchester. Meetings are held the first and third Friday of each month. Information: www.shenvalarc.org.
Handley Library in Winchester has announced the following programs will be held:
• Lecture: 2-4 p.m., Friday featuring Ben Glenn II, who will talk about “Cupid’s Arrow: Love, Marriage and Morality in the Golden Age of Dutch Painting.”
• Stitch A Story: 1-2 p.m., Saturday for ages 10 and up.
A silent auction to benefit Faith Lutheran Preschool will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. Saturday at the Fort Valley Fire Department. Food available for a free-will offering.
Over 200 items expected. To donate, call Linda at 933-6497 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Author Dr. Norman Reid will present a free program on the process of self-publishing through Amazon.com at 3 p.m. on Saturday at the New Market Area Library. Information: Beverly Butterfield at 540-335-5396 or email@example.com.
St. John’s Lutheran Church will hold a turn-of-the-century candlelight tour at 5 p.m. on Saturday at 3623 Back Mountain Road, Winchester.
At 6 p.m., there will be Mocha and a Message, a contemporary worship service with beverages and desserts. A free-will offering will be received to benefit community outreach programs.
Emmanuel Baptist Church will hold a wild game dinner for men and boys at 6 p.m. on Saturday at 2774 Northwestern Pike, Winchester.
In addition to dinner, the evening will include contests, door prizes and a grand prize. Reservations, information: 540-667-8924.
Samuels Public Library in Front Royal will hold a meeting of Discuss This: Teen Picks & Flicks at 2 p.m. on Saturday for teens interested in books, movies and art. Refreshments provided.
Warren County Parks and Recreation will host a Father-Daughter Valentine dance from 7 to 9 p.m. on Saturday at the community center for girls 12 and younger and their dad, uncle, big brother or family friend.
The cost is $30 per couple and $10 for each additional daughter. A commemorative photo is included.
Pre-registration is required by calling 540-635-1021 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Portering the Glory International will host a pancake dinner from 4 to 7 p.m. Saturday at 3203 S. Ox Road, Edinburg. Donations accepted. Information: Judith at 540-331-8732.
The Edinburg VFW Post 2447 will hold a country ham potpie luncheon starting at 11 a.m. Sunday. A free-will offering will be accepted.
The Unitarian Universalist Church of the Shenandoah Valley in Stephens City will hold a “Meet the Artist” wine and cheese reception featuring quilter Laura Robertson from 2 to 4 p.m. on Sunday.
Her signature piece, The Anhinga, along with other quilts in her collection, will be on display through March 15 in the church sanctuary.
The following pupils at North Fork Middle School have been named to the all-A honor roll for the second grading period:
• Sixth grade: Braxton Biller, Mya Councill, Haley Custer, Alejandra Del Toro, Annika Dellinger, Breanna Franklin, Jaicey Gonzalez, Haley Hill, Brayden Hilton, Giovani Nunez, Emma Saeler, Gracie Struder, Charlotte Weaver, Hannah Whitaker, Faith Williams.
• Seventh grade: Alicia Bare, Jessica Blevins, Megan Bohus, Jaden Click, Emma Davis, Daniel Halterman, Hannah Hollingsworth, Nathan Poole, Ericka Provenzano, Claire Shirkey.
• Eighth grade: Eliana Dellinger, Isabell Dellinger, Sarah Eaton, Kylene Franklin, Morgan Gibson, Brooke Jones, Zachary Wine.
The following pupils at North Fork Middle School have been named to the A-B honor roll for the second grading period:
• Sixth grade: Cole Anderson, Lilly Blank, Kaden Custer, Daniela Diaz Cardoso, Hannah Duncan, Brandon Foltz, Grace George, Iona Haley, Heather Hall, Reice Hedrick, Lexi Hollingsworth, Carmen Kennedy, Jesse Lemon, Jose Maldonado Vieyra, Virginia McDonald, Debra Moffitt, Kara Owen, Mattie Poole, Megan Poole, Alex Poster, Cindy Rodeffer, Michael Spaur, Maddie Stout, Joshua Tower, Andrew Wymer.
• Seventh grade: Gino Amoroso Cox, Andre Baker, Gabriel Baker, Ciana Crawford, Garrett Custer, Braya Dysart, Jennifer Farmer, Sarah Flanagan, Hunter Frazier, Juanito Garcia-Sanchez, ElsaMarie Golladay, Antania Gross, Liam Haley, Martin Hernandez, Amelia Hess, Chelsea Jackson, Eric Jackson, Victoria Jimenez-Luna, Garrett LaJack, Jacob Lemon, Ninouska Leon-Irizarry, Leigha Markley, Aamirah Mcdonald, Charlotte Miller, Emma Oden, Alyssa Payne, Emma Polk, Kelly Reynoso, Nathaniel Sibert, Carly Thomas, Peyton Wamsley, Benjamin Williams, Ayvah Wolverton.
• Eighth grade: Julia Biller, Daryl Bucker, Rachael Burch, Benjamin Cook, Brahim Dehache, Rebecca Diehl, Lance Dorman, Nicholas Foltz, Emma Harmon, Christian Hess, Rosalina Holloway-Vicente, Brady Hughes, Lauryn Jansen, Katie Jordan, Jarrett Lonas, Andrew Lute, Lillian Proctor, Courtney Ritchie, Nicole Silvious, Sarah Streett, Colby Thomas, Patricia Van Horn, Sidney Wymer, Andrew Zirkle.
Sandy Lerner, Cisco Systems co-founder, historic preservationist, Virginia estate farmer and philanthropist, will be the keynote speaker at the Shenandoah Apple Blossom Festival’s Valley Health Business-at-the-Bloom luncheon from noon to 2 p.m. May 3 at the Tolley Dental tent, 1755 N. Sector Court, Winchester.
Advance ticket orders may be placed now at Apple Blossom Headquarters or online at www.thebloom.com.
Tickets may be purchased when the Festival’s Ticket Outlet open at 10 a.m. on April 7 at 212 E. Cork St., across from the Winchester Moose Lodge.
The following appointments, retirement and resignations were announced at the Feb. 13 meeting of the Shenandoah County School Board:
• Signal Knob Middle School: Nicholas M. Storey has been appointment a part-time cafeteria monitor.
• Peter Muhlenberg Middle School: art teacher Karen L. Girouard will retire at the end of the school year.
• Ashby Lee Elementary School: Gary L. Painter has been appointed a long-term substitute second-grade teacher.
• Strasburg High School: Melissa A. Brown and Inarae K. Crisman have been appointed co-head track coaches; Wayne W. Sager has been appointed assistant baseball coach.
• Stonewall Jackson High School: Thad S. Hockman has been appointed weight room supervisor.
• Central High School: Sean P. Semones, former assistant football and baseball coach, has been appointed head baseball coach; Justin L. McIlwee has been appointed assistant baseball coach.
Send in your events to email@example.com and your news to firstname.lastname@example.org.