Community News & Events for Feb. 28 paper
A card shower is planned for Patricia Sonner, who will celebrate her 75th birthday March 6. Cards can be sent to 607 Bowman Mill Road, Strasburg 22657.
Mount Jackson United Methodist Church will hold an Ash Wednesday service at 7 p.m. Wednesday.
The Winchester chapter of Trout Unlimited will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday at NW Works in Winchester.
The group will gather for dinner at 5:30 p.m. at IJ Cann’s. Information: Bill Prokopchak at 540-722-2620 or visit www.winchestertu.org.
Noon Friday is the deadline to register for the free “21 Do$ and 17 Don’t$ of Money Management” clinic at 6 p.m. Monday at Handley Regional Library in Winchester. Another clinic will be held March 8 at Handley Library.
Information, registration: Warren County Extension office at 540-635-4549 or Adriene Davis at Handley Library at 540-869-9000 ext. 212.
St. Luke Brethren Church on Back Road west of Woodstock will hold a country breakfast from 7 to 10 a.m. Saturday. An offering will be accepted to benefit the building fund.
A free seminar on lawn care will be offered from 10 a.m. to noon Saturday at Southern States Coop, 50 Water St., Front Royal. Topics will include fertilization, weed control, soil testing and more.
Bowman Library in Stephens City will hold the following programs in March:
• Family film and picnic: 1-2:30 p.m., Saturday featuring the movie “The Lorax.” Popcorn and lemonade served.
• Chess: 10 a.m.-noon, Saturdays for all ages and skill levels.
• Pokemon Trading Card Club: 1-2:30 p.m., Saturdays.
• Screen printing: 6-8 p.m., March 13 as part of Maker Mondays. Led by Mike O’Connell, owner of Secret Society Press. Learn how to create a screen and get DIY tips for printing at home. Participants will print a one-color poster design on paper. Free. Seating limited. Registration required.
Information: Donna Hughes at 540-869-9000 ext. 215.
The Handley Library System will host three workshops during March to teach participants how to access Library on Demand.
• Saturday: 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m., at Bowman Library, Stephens City.
• March 7: 6-7:30 p.m., at Bowman Library, Stephens City.
• March 15: 1:30-3 p.m., at Handley Library, Winchester.
The Downloadable and Streaming Options workshops will teach participants how to use OverDrive and Freegal on their computer or device for music, videos, movies, eBooks, audiobooks and more available through the library.
Workshops are free but registration is required by calling Adrienne Davis at 540-869-9000 ext. 212.
White Post United Methodist Church will hold a ham and turkey dinner from 4 to 7 p.m. Saturday at the Boyce Fire Hall. Free-will offering accepted.
The Mt. Jackson United Methodist Church will host an all-you-can-eat spaghetti dinner starting at 4 p.m. Saturday.
The cost is $8 for adults and $5 for children. Proceeds will benefit the ministries of the United Methodist Men and Women.
Strasburg Christian Church will host a benefit bingo from 6 to 9 p.m. Saturday.
A baked potato bar with hot dogs and barbecue will be available at 4:30 p.m.
Bring a food item donation for Luke’s Backpack for an extra door prize ticket. A portion of the proceeds will benefit the Strasburg Rescue Squad.
The Northern Valley Friends of the NRA will hold a banquet from 5:30 to 10 p.m. Saturday at the Shenandoah Valley Golf Club in Front Royal.
In addition to prizes, there will be a live auction of commemorative firearms and unique merchandise. Proceeds will be used to promote the future of shooting sports across Virginia. Information, tickets: Dick or Dolly Mason at 540-635-9424 or visit www.friendsofnra.org.
Samuels Library in Front Royal has announced the following activities:
• Books and Barks: 10:10 a.m., Saturday for beginner readers and older.
• Discuss This: Teen Picks & Flicks: 2 p.m., Saturday for children interested in books, articles, movies and art.
Send in your events to email@example.com and your news to firstname.lastname@example.org.