Community News & Events: April 12
• A card shower is planned for Debbie Gochenour, who will celebrate her 54th birthday April 18. Cards can be sent to 971 Patmos Road, Woodstock 22664.
• A card shower is planned for Leslie D. Sealock Jr., who will celebrate his 90th birthday April 19. Cards can be sent to 826 W. 16th St., Front Royal 22630.
The date of the Easter egg hunt at the Woodstock United Methodist Church listed on the Easter service page was listed incorrectly as April 15. The event was held April 8.
The St. Paul Relay for Life Team will sell Jimbo’s Chicken Barbecue and Gizzards starting at 11 a.m. Saturday at the Strasburg Museum. Cost is $4 per half.
The Strasburg Fire Department Auxiliary will hold a bake sale beginning at 8 a.m. Saturday at the fire department.
Matthew’s Place Youth Center in Strasburg is hosting a shoe drive through May 21 for people in underprivileged countries. The Center will receive a percentage for every pound collected.
Drop off locations are Restore Hope House, First Bank-Strasburg, City Bank-Strasburg, H.L. Borden, Family View Medicine, Strasburg Chamber of Commerce and Restoration Fellowship Church.
Information: Maggie at 540-325-0757.
NAMi Connection Recovery Support Groups, for adults with various types of mental illnesses, will hold the following meetings:
• Winchester: 7-8:30 p.m., each Monday at Winchester Medical Center VH System Support Building, 220 Campus Blvd., ground floor Conference Room 1; noon-1:30 p.m., first, third and fifth Mondays at Our Health Center, 301 N. Cameron St., second-floor conference room.
• Woodstock: 12:30-2 p.m., first and third Mondays at Shenandoah County Extension Office, 600 N. Main St., Suite 100.
• Front Royal: 7-8:30 p.m., first and third Tuesdays at Warren Memorial Hospital conference room next to the cafeteria.
• Luray/Page County: 6:30-8 p.m., first and third Tuesdays at Page Memorial Hospital. Enter at the main entrance and turn left to the Administrative Board room, look for sign.
Information: 540-533-1832 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monday is the deadline to register for a Lunch and Learn cooking workshop co-sponsored by the Virginia Cooperative Extension from noon to 1 p.m. April 21 at Bowman Library in Stephens City.
The program will be on eating the Mediterranean way. The series is free. May 8 is the deadline to register for the last workshop on May 12 on five-ingredient meals.
Registration, information: Adrienne Davis at 540-869-9000 ext. 212 or email email@example.com.
The Shenandoah Valley chapter of Phi Delta Kappa International recently held a program called “The Road to Teaching Success is Always Under Construction: Build Effective Leaders,” which focused on the James Madison University Educational Leadership Program.
Speakers were Dr. Robin Crowder and Dr. Roger Collins, both from JMU.
The Shenandoah Valley chapter includes educators from Augusta, Bath, Highland, Page, Rockingham, Shenandoah, and Warren counties and cities within these counties.
Send in your events to firstname.lastname@example.org and your news to email@example.com.