Delve into your Irish roots at St. Paddy’s Celtic Festival
Find your Irish and Scottish roots at the second annual St. Paddy’s Celtic Festival in Old Town Winchester on Saturday. The event promises to be filled with music, food and games for the whole family.
The free festival will take place inside Old Town businesses along the Loudoun Street Mall from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Saturday.
Downtown Manager Jennifer Bell said it is estimated that over 1,500 attended the inaugural event last year.
Activities will include a leprechaun juggler, balloon artist, face painter, dancers, bagpipers and a variety of performances.
She said many new events have been added to this year’s festival, including six musical venues and three new bands for a total of seven bands, longer hours, a showing of a classical movie “Brigadoon”, and 26 businesses participating in the leprechaun scavenger hunt.
Performers include Capital Celtic, Across the Pond, Sound of Sleat, Merlin’s Beard Band, Lilt and Low Water Bridge. The Armstrong Irish Dance Studio will also be traveling to all venues to perform traditional Irish step dances.
Bell added that the bands typically fill the rooms to capacity with spectators.
During all scheduled performances, a percentage of food and drink sales will benefit Habitat for Humanity of Winchester-Frederick County.
Habitat for Humanity will host a variety of Celtic games for children on the 1840 Courthouse lawn in a non-competitive atmosphere for lads and lassies three to 12 years old.
The Old Town Hospitality Association will lead tours on Scottish and Irish influence in Winchester and host the Old Town Scavenger Hunt from noon to 4 p.m. with a chance to win a prize.
Contact staff writer Kaley Toy at 540-465-5137 ext. 176, or email@example.com
If You Go
• 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Old Town Mall: Leprechaun Scavenger Hunt.
• 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Out of the Box Theater: Capital Celtic.
• Noon to 3 p.m. at 50/50 Tap House: Across the Pond.
• Noon to 4 p.m. at Old Town Mall: Devon the Juggler.
• Noon to 2 p.m. at Handley Library: “Brigadoon” the musical movie.
• 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. at 1840 Courthouse lawn: Habitat for Humanity Celtic games.
• 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. at Joe’s Steakhouse: Lilt.
• 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. at Brewbaker’s: Sound of Sleat.
• 3 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at Old Town Mall: Winchester Pipes and Drums.
• 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Winchester Brew Works: Merlin’s Beard.
• 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at 147 North: Winchester Celtic Circle.
• 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. at Out of the Box Theater: Low Water Bridge.