Community News & Events: April 6
The Edinburg VFW Post 2447 will hold a chicken barbecue Saturday. The cost is $4 per half. Chicken will be ready at 9:30 a.m. and must be picked up by 1 p.m. Pre-orders accepted: 984-4355.
The Conicville Volunteer Fire Department will hold an Easter egg hunt from 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday for children 10 and under. Children should bring their own basket. The Easter Bunny will arrive at 3 p.m.
The Shenandoah County Extension office has announced the following meetings will be held:
• Fort Valley 4-H Club and Cloverbuds will meet at 4:30 p.m. Sunday at the community center.
• New Market 4-H Club and Cloverbuds will meet at 6 p.m. Monday at Reformation Lutheran Church.
Strasburg Presbyterian Church will host an Easter egg hunt at 2 p.m. Sunday at Spengler Hall.
Bowman Library in Stephens City has announced the following activities will be held:
• Dance party: 11 a.m.-noon, Monday and April 17 and 24 for toddlers, preschoolers and their grownups.
• Maker Mondays Swap Meet: 6-8 p.m., Monday for tinkerers, hobbyist, DIYers, code monkeys and engineers to collaborate with other like-minded people. Bring extra supplies and unused collections to swap. Everything is free but participants are asked to bring something to contribute. Information: Ryan Hall at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Teen Advisory Board meeting: 6 p.m., Monday for middle- and high-school students.
Information: Donna Hughes at 540-869-9000 or www.handeyregional.org.
The Kiwanis Club of Old Town Winchester will hold a luncheon meeting at noon Monday at the Godfrey Miller Home on the Old Town walking mall.
The speaker will be Vince Diem of Operation Stand Together, an advocacy program to raise public awareness for Toxic Veterans.
Information: Janice Rogouski, 540-539-1333.
Samuel Library in Front Royal will host the two-part lecture series “John Singer Sargent: American Impressionist of the Gilded Age” from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Tuesday and April 18.
The series will examine the full range of Sargent’s career from his society portraits to impressionist landscapes and modernist watercolors.
Registration is required by calling 540-635-3153.
Contestants are needed for the Hope on the Move Relay for Life “Miss Rappahannock” and “Womanless” pageants on April 15 at the Northern Virginia 4-H Center in Front Royal.
The Miss Rappahannock pageant will be held at 11 a.m. and the Womanless pageant will start at 5 p.m. Information: Karen Williams at 540-635-4673, Norma Settle at 540-305-7820, Rhonda Williams at 540-622-3757 or Bonnie Williams at 540-622-4867.
April 21 is the deadline to apply for classes offered by Warren County Public Schools for its annual summer fine arts program in June.
The program will include the following courses:
• Performing Arts for rising seventh-12th graders.
• Fundamentals of songwriting for rising ninth-12th graders.
• Visual Arts for rising ninth-12th graders.
Classes, which are free for county public school students, will be held from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Warren County High School on June 19-22 and June 26-29. An application and teacher recommendation must be completed and submitted.
Theatre students who are accepted into the program will need to audition for their role in the play on May 17-18.
Students can contact their Fine Arts teachers for an application.
Information: Allison Cusato at email@example.com.
Spay Today, the area’s nonprofit reduced-priced spay and neuter program, offers shots and tests at lower rates in addition to reduced-priced spay and neuter programs with many veterinarians over a wide area. Information: 304-728-8330 or www.baacs.org.
The Humane Society of Warren County has received a $1,000 emergency medical grant from the Petfinder Foundation.
The grant is used to assist Petfinder members who are caring for a pet that needs special life-saving veterinary care in order to become adoptable.
Since its founding in 2003, the Petfinder Foundation has given more than $20 million in cash and product grants to shelters and rescue groups in the United States, Canada and Mexico.
Photos of adoptable pets at the Humane Society can be seen at www.petfinder.com/shelters/VA199. Information: 540-635-4734.
Send in your events to firstname.lastname@example.org and your news to email@example.com.