FRONT ROYAL -- A fire caused about $25,000 worth of damage Friday to a wooden structure attached to a barn, as well as the contents of the building.
Warren County Fire and Rescue Lt. Gerry R. Maiatico said dispatch received the call at 10 a.m. for a shed fire at 2447 Strasburg Road. A unit from the North Warren Volunteer Fire Department was first to arrive on scene at 10:12 a.m., with the fire marked under control at 10:35 a.m.
Emergency personnel from Fortsmouth, Rivermont, Front Royal, Linden, and Shenandoah Shores volunteer fire departments responded as well, Maiatico said.
The fire destroyed the single-story shed, as well as four ATVs, a riding lawnmower and several pieces of farm equipment, Maiatico said. Firefighters' primary concern was to keep the blaze from spreading to adjoining structures, including a two-story barn, Maiatico said.
"Quick actions of the initial suppression crew [were] able to mitigate the fire's spread and contain the fire within minutes of their arrival," Maiatico said.
The shed was owned by Dale Mitchell, whose wife called 911 to report the fire. No injuries were reported and there were no explosions as a result of fuel contained in the ATVs or other equipment, Maiatico said, adding that the cause of the fire was a malfunction of an ATV.
Daily Staff Report