FRONT ROYAL -- A barking dog is credited with alerting a resident to a fire in her Warren County home early this morning.
When firefighters arrived after 2 a.m., the roof of the house at 52 Foxfire Court was caved in, according to Warren County Fire Chief Richard Mabie.
"It was my understanding that her dog barking woke her," Mabie said. "When she investigated she found fire around the chimney and attic."
Mabie said the resident, who lived alone, then tried to call 911 but there was no phone service. He said she got in her car and drove to a neighbor's house, where she called 911. The dog, Mabie said, also got out of the home safely. The woman's name was not available this morning.
Freezing temperatures hampered firefighters' efforts in fighting the blaze. Mabie said 20 firefighters were at the scene. He noted two trucks froze up, and some of the hose could not be rolled up because it was frozen.
Mabie estimated the fire caused about $400,000 in damage, but said firefighters probably saved about $100,000 in antiques by moving them away from the structure.
For further developments, visit nvdaily.com or read the print edition of The Northern Virginia Daily.