* Breaking News
If local news is breaking and you know about it:
* Call Us: 800-296-5137
* E-mail Us
* Upload Your Photos
By Sally Voth -- email@example.com
WOODSTOCK -- A town woman has been indicted for a December robbery at the Woodstock Rite-Aid.
A Shenandoah County Circuit Court grand jury indicted Leah Taite Girard, 31, of 508 S. Water St., on April 13 on charges of robbery, use of a firearm while committing a felony and assault and battery on a law-enforcement officer, according to court documents.
Girard admitted committing the Dec. 8 robbery, in which more than 1,000 pills of OxyContin were stolen at gunpoint, according to a criminal complaint filed by Woodstock investigator Scott Thompson.
Licensed psychologist David Rawls, of Fishersville, found her to be competent for trial, and likely having borderline personality disorder, according to a letter filed in the Circuit Court. It describes a miserable childhood and youth, in which Girard says her father kidnapped her from her mother, her family members were addicted to drugs, and numerous people sexually abused her or attempted to do so.
Girard became addicted to opiates -- she had been abusing drugs and alcohol starting in her early teens -- after being prescribed the painkillers after a domestic assault, Rawls' letter says. She has been hospitalized several times and attempted suicide more than once, it says.
Also indicted were Robert Lee Good, 45, of 115 Burkeholder Lane, New Market, and Tina M. Hilsman, 31, of 3699 Old Valley Pike, New Market, for indecent liberties. According to a criminal complaint filed by Shenandoah County Sheriff's investigator R.M. Mauck, the two had sex in front of a child.
"Good stated that during the act, he physically showed the 8-year-old how to perform sexual intercourse," the complaint says.
Others indicted included:
• James Allen Santmyers Jr., 43, of 311 Pendleton Lane, Strasburg, for assault on a law enforcement officer, violating a protective order, misdemeanor domestic violence and misdemeanor obstruction of justice.
• Terry Lee Moats, 42, of 407 Kriser Road, Front Royal, for third-offense driving under the influence, grand larceny and possession of burglary tools.
• Evonne Marie Smith, 41, of 2335 Wilson Blvd., Winchester, for four counts each of obtaining money by false pretense and passing forged documents.
• Jason Allen Giles, 34, of 305 N. Bank St., Luray, for credit card fraud. He pleaded guilty and the case was transferred to Warren County Circuit Court.
• Wanda Lee Preston, 49, of 143 Millertown Road, Edinburg, for third-offense shoplifting.
• Nicholas Spinner-Kaufman, 19, of 161 Lora Drive, Woodstock, for assault on a law-enforcement officer, carrying a concealed weapon, possession of burglary tools, misdemeanor resisting arrest, misdemeanor climbing onto a vehicle and two counts of petty larceny.
• Alma Graham Colley Jr., 49, of 5 Hilldale Road, Luray, for third-offense driving under suspension, DUI-related.
• Charles Allen Kirby Jr., 19, of 455 Orchard St., Strasburg, for grand larceny and conspiracy to commit grand larceny.
• Samuel Adam Murray Jr., 19, of 1490 New Market Depot Road, New Market, for receiving stolen goods.
• Floyd William Butler Jr., 35, of 68 Jewell Lane, Edinburg, for obtaining money by false pretenses.
• Paul Joseph Miller, 48, of 33 Neff Lane, Strasburg, for unauthorized use.
• Gary Richard Whitmore, 30, of 15620 Highgate Lane, Timberville, for possession of methamphetamine.
• James Clifford Hawkins, 21, of 3256 Senedo Road, Quicksburg, for indecent liberties and using a computer to solicit a minor under 15.
• Jose Hermengildo Vasquez-Mendez, alias Samuel Torres-Cruz, 23, of 262 Shenandoah Ave., Mt. Jackson, for two counts of forging a public record. A plea agreement calls for a suspended prison sentence and one year of probation.
• Colton M. Reed, 20, of 288 W. King St., Strasburg, for possession of methadone. He pleaded guilty and his case was transferred to Warren County.
• Brian Michael Heister, 29, with no address provided, for distribution of marijuana and two counts of distribution of psilocyn (mushrooms).
• Hector Hernan Garcia, 32, of New Market, for two counts of distribution of cocaine.
• Jessie Lee Herald, 23, of 146 Hillview Drive, Maurertown, for distribution of cocaine and conspiracy to distribute.
• Jonathan Edward Baughman, 26, of 22423 Senedo Road, Woodstock, for distribution of imitation OxyContin, misdemeanor distribution of a Schedule 6 drug and two counts of marijuana distribution.