NVDAILY.COM | Local News

Posted July 2, 2011 | comments 5 Comments

Where did suspect go after festival?

SteveStock organizer says Boyce left hours before collision

By Alex Bridges -- abridges@nvdaily.com

WINCHESTER -- The Frederick County man involved in a crash that killed a family of four Sunday morning attended an overnight festival, but left hours before the deadly incident, an event organizer said Friday.

What happened between the time when Steven Andrew Boyce left the SteveStock music and camping event at Frederick County Fairgrounds and the crash several hours later, at 11:30 a.m., remains unknown.

Organizers of the festival, through comments on media websites covering the crash, have expressed sorrow for the victims. Event organizer Steve Gallahan could not be reached for comment Friday.

Boyce was seen at SteveStock the night of June 25 and the next morning, organizer Dianna Bankson said.

Bankson said she went to sleep at 3:30 a.m. Sunday, and "at that time everything had gone fine."

"Police had been in and out all day and all evening," Bankson recalled. "But like I said, we had 'no alcohol' signs posted and the police came through probably a dozen times that day."

"They had a constant presence at the festival," she said, noting the Frederick County Sheriff's Office monitored the event.

Music ended at 11 p.m., but campers remained at the site into the next morning, according to Bankson, who considered the festival a success.

The event, which had grown from one held in the organizers' backyard to the fairgrounds, helped raise money for a local cancer patient, she noted. People came from out of the area to camp overnight after the music.

The Frederick County Board of Supervisors voted at an earlier meeting to allow SteveStock organizers an outdoor festival permit that came with some restrictions for the event.

SteveStock had to provide its own security, and could host live music until 11 p.m.
Maj. Robert "Robbie" Eckman, with the Frederick County Sheriff's Office, said Friday that a shift supervisor made periodic checks by the festival that night but officers did not constantly monitor the event as that was the responsibility of the private security.

Law enforcement did respond to the event at approximately midnight for possibly underage people drinking alcohol on top of a vehicle, Eckman said. However, when deputies arrived, they found two people, both underage, playing with empty beer bottles and not drinking, Eckman said.

During the day, a security guard confronted Boyce who, at the time, appeared to have a beverage, Bankson said. The guard took a sip of the drink to see if it contained alcohol but determined it only had soda in it, Bankson said.

Boyce at some point returned to his vehicle and left the event with the person he came with as the driver, Bankson said, earlier noting she did not personally see this happen but had heard the account from others.

"Then, about five to six hours later, that [crash] happened," Bankson said.

"Like I said I was actually asleep during the time," she said. "I did wake up when they said there's something going on."

"There's nothing to say what [Boyce] did during that five hours," Bankson added.

Authorities have charged Boyce, 20, of 221 Hawk Trail, Shawneeland, with aggravated involuntary manslaughter, underage possession of alcohol and driving under the influence.

Court documents state a preliminary breath test performed on Boyce showed he had a blood alcohol level of 0.27 percent -- more than three times the legal limit.

State police reports say Boyce drove a 1985 Chevrolet pickup that rear-ended a 1994 Jeep Cherokee on U.S. 11 near the Interstate 81 interchange in Stephenson. The impact of the collision caused the Cherokee's fuel tank to rupture and the vehicle caught fire.

Amanda Roe, 31, and her husband, Mark, 49, died in the crash along with their children, Caleb, 11, and Tyler, 4.

Boyce remains held without bond at Northwestern Regional Adult Detention Center.


    They keep saying that it was a no alcohol event. However, I know at least 10 people who was there and all of them have said that there was open drinking of alcohol all over in plain view of security.

    Someone knows where this guy was. The person that he left with knows where he was or where they took him. I think people are just trying to cover their butts because they know they contributed to these horrific deaths.

    People, please help your intoxicated friends by taking their keys and not letting them drive. They may be angry with you for doing it at the time, but at least people will be safe.

      Just like Bonaroo is a Drug Free Music Festival......It even says it on their website. I think it's time SteveStock faces a VA ABC Investigation. I wonder if the proceeds next year's "gathering" will be donated to the family or an Anti-Drinking and Driving group like M.A.D.D.?

    Several articles have mentioned that the police responded to a report of underage drinking but all they found was some juveniles playing with empty beer bottles. Why were there empty beer bottles at a non-alcoholic event?

    So you are saying it was the festival's fault?? How does that make sense? Oh yeah-I forgot-we hold everyone else liable for peoples behavior--since no one is accountable--it is always some "sue-able" entities fault in our litigious society. Keep in mind that this guy had was on probabtion and had another very recent alcohol related run in with law enforcement-and in that case, according to this paper-blew a .35 BAC!! I would ask why someone under age wasn't hauled in at that point for some court ordered evaluation-although I dont know the law. This was certainly a horrific and tragic outcome-lets put our efforts behind supporting those impacted by this avoidable tragedy rather than finger pointing.

Copyright © The Northern Virginia Daily | nvdaily.com | 152 N. Holliday St., Strasburg, Va. 22657 | (800) 296-5137