NVDAILY.COM | Local News

Posted February 7, 2012 | comments Leave a comment

Standoff suspect held without bond

Man charged with abduction, domestic assault after tear gas was used to get him out of his house

By Candace Sipos -- csipos@nvdaily.com

WINCHESTER -- A city man has been ordered held in jail without bond after a Saturday standoff with police that started after a domestic incident involving his wife.

Darren Scott Heflin, 41, of 357 Shenandoah Ave., was charged with abduction and domestic assault, adding to a slew of other charges on his record, after police used tear gas to get him out of his house.

Heflin appeared in Winchester Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court on Monday via video from the Northwestern Regional Adult Detention center. Judge Elizabeth Kellas ordered him held without bond and set his preliminary hearing for March 7.

Heflin has various charges in the city and county, including distribution of marijuana, public intoxication, grand larceny and destruction of property. The current assault charge is a felony because he has two previous convictions of assault on a family member.

Officer C. Ruysen of the city police responded to the couple's home around midnight Saturday after receiving reports of a domestic assault incident. Heflin was gone when Ruysen arrived, but his wife, Sherry Heflin, 45, told the officer that her husband "got drunk and punched her in the face ... after breaking a picture frame and knocking a ceramic piece off the coffee table," according to a criminal complaint filed with the arrest warrant.

Sherry Heflin had a large bruise on her right eye, the complaint states.

Her husband violated a protective order requiring no additional abuse, it states.

After Sherry Heflin talked to Ruysen and police obtained an arrest warrant against her husband, she texted two people and told them that Darrin Heflin was back at the home and holding her hostage, according to the complaint.

Police came back to the residence and a nearly three-hour standoff ensued. They could hear a man's voice inside the residence but did not receive any response from inside.

Sherry Heflin was able to exit the home safely, when she told police that he ordered her to go into the bathroom and lay on the floor. He turned off the lights and told her not to move so the police wouldn't come inside. Darrin Heflin said he would let her go in the morning, once the officers left, according to the complaint.

Darrin Heflin was arrested around 4:15 a.m., Sgt. Frank Myrtle of city police said. Sherry Heflin sustained minor injuries. No weapons were involved, according to police.

Copyright © The Northern Virginia Daily | nvdaily.com | 152 N. Holliday St., Strasburg, Va. 22657 | (800) 296-5137