nvdaily.com link to home page

Traffic | Weather | Mobile Edition
      Archives | Subscribe


Local News arrow Frederick County

| 0

Early morning fire destroys home

Fred_Fire1_3_27_12.jpg
Jim Miller of Winchester stands outside his house on Richard Lane near Mountain Falls that was destroyed by fire early Tuesday morning. A young couple that lived in the home escaped the fire. Officials said the fire started in the chimney of a fireplace and spread into the walls. Rich Cooley/Daily


By Alex Bridges -- abridges@nvdaily.com

STAR TANNERY -- A couple narrowly escaped a destructive house fire in southwest Frederick County early Tuesday morning.

Fire officials say the blaze should remind homeowners to make sure their smoke alarms work properly. The alarm in the home at 289 Richard Lane near Mountain Falls did not have a battery, according to Jay Bauserman, fire marshal for the Frederick County Fire and Rescue Department.

"They were lucky to wake up," Bauserman said of the two occupants who fled the burning house in time.

Dispatchers received a call for the structure fire in the 200 block of Richard Lane at approximately 3 a.m. A couple staying in the residence awoke in the early morning hours to find fire and smoke, Bauserman said. A fire started in fireplace in anticipation of the cold temperatures over night had at some point escaped the chimney and spread into the walls, according to Bauserman.

The couple evacuated with their pet dogs and went to find help. The first of several crews arrived to find the two-story home "well involved" by fire and smoke, according to Bauserman. Firefighters attacked the blaze from the outside as flames consumed the house.

The fire official deemed the house a total loss. Neither occupants nor firefighters reported injuries, according to Bauserman.

The couple declined assistance from local American Red Cross workers because they received aid from family, Bauserman said.

Crews from Star Tannery, Middletown, North Mountain, Round Hill, Gainesboro and Gore volunteer fire and rescue companies responded to the incident along with firefighters from Strasburg in Shenandoah County and Capon Springs, Hampshire County, W.Va.

The last crew cleared the scene at approximately 6:30 a.m., according to a dispatcher.

Jimmy D. Miller, who owns the house with his sister, Alyce V. Face, came to the property later that day to assess the damage. The siblings had inherited the property and the house was close to 100 years old, Miller told the Daily. Miller said he let a man stay in the house a few months ago but the boarder was out of the state when the fire occurred.

Instead, the man's daughter and her boyfriend were staying at the house, according to Miller, citing what the boarder had told him. Miller did not know the names of the woman and her boyfriend.


Comments

Comments that are posted represent the opinion of the commenter and not the Northern Virginia Daily/nvdaily.com. Report abuse by clicking the X next to the comment.













Local News Sections

Agency on Aging Agriculture Alex Bridges Apple Blossom Festival Aviation Basye Berryville Boyce Breaking News Briefs Business Charities Civil War Clarke County Colleges Corrections Courthouse Notes: Permits, Transactions Courts & Legal News Crime & Public Safety Economy and Jobs Edinburg Education Edward N. Bell Election 2012 Entertainment Environment Fairs & Festivals Fire & Rescue Fishers Hill Fort Valley Frederick County Front Royal George Washington National Forest Guest Column Hard Times Health History Holidays Homes In The Spotlight Jeff Nations Joe Beck Josette Keelor Kim Walter Ledger Livestock Local Markets Maurertown Media Middletown Military & Veterans Moms Mt. Jackson New Market Page County Pets & Animals Politics Progress 2013 Quicksburg Religion Rockingham County RSW Jail Sally Voth School News Shenandoah County Shenandoah Farms Volunteer Fire Department Star Tannery State Stephens City Steven A. Boyce Strasburg Toms Brook Traffic & Transportation Utilities Valley 911 Warren County Weather West Virginia Winchester Woodstock Year in Review




News | Sports | Business | Lifestyle | Obituaries | Opinion | Multimedia| Entertainment | Homes | Classifieds
Contact Us | NIE | Place a Classified | Privacy Policy | Subscribe

Copyright © The Northern Virginia Daily | nvdaily.com | 152 N. Holliday St., Strasburg, Va. 22657 | (800) 296-5137

nvdaily.com
Best Small Daily Newspaper in Virginia!


nvdaily.com | seeshenandoah.com