FRONT ROYAL -- Six champion show goats were killed in a barn fire Sunday afternoon, according to authorities.
Warren County Fire Marshal Gerry Maiatico said the blaze, located at 75 Cattlet Mountain Road, was likely caused by a heat lamp.
He said they were using a number of farm-style heat lamps to warm some of the baby goats in the barn. One of the lamps was possible knocked over onto the bedding material, according to Maiatico.
The fire was fully involved by the time crews arrived around 12:30 p.m. and Maiatico said it took about 20 minutes to control the fire.
Several of the champion goats were able to escape, but six of them died in the fire.
Maiatico estimated the damages between $6,000 and $8,000, including the value of the livestock.