By Sally Voth -- email@example.com
A man accused of molesting a child in Frederick County has pleaded not guilty in federal court.
John Stuart Dowell, 45, of Santa Cruz., Calif., pleaded not guilty in U.S. District Court in Charlottesville Monday morning to 12 counts of filming a child in sexually explicit conduct knowing the footage could be sent out of state or out of the country or transmitting the footage via computer, and one count of transmitting child pornography online, according to online court records.
A superseding indictment was handed down against him April 25. Dowell had been indicted last December on a single count of sexual exploitation of a child.
The more recent indictment involves two alleged victims -- a prepubescent girl and a 3-year-old girl.
Dowell is alleged to have performed sex acts on the 3-year-old girl, and filming her according to the affidavit. An affidavit for an arrest warrant says Dowell filmed those acts while staying at a home in Frederick County in fall 2010 and summer 2011.
The affidavit says his sister turned in a video to FBI officials in Florida last fall, and that the same video had also been downloaded in Denmark.
Dowell is alleged to have filmed his abuse of the other child in December 2010 and January 2011, according to the indictment.
U.S. District Judge B. Waugh Crigler set a jury trial for May 29, according to online court records. Dowell is being held in custody, records state.