Daily staff report
A kitchen fire in an apartment building in Front Royal sent one of three tenants to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries Monday afternoon.
Fire marshal Gerry Maiatico said fire and rescue crews were called to a second floor apartment at 353 Kendrick Lane at 5:26 p.m. They were able extinguish the fire in about five minutes, but not before it caused an estimated $20,000 damage to the apartment and rendered it uninhabitable for its tenants, he said.
Maiatico said the fire was caused by cooking materials left on the stove. He said the tenants had left the unit after a loss of electrical power in the early morning hours. While they were away, the power was restored and the fire started.
"Basically, the occupants failed to turn off the stove, once the power was lost," Maiatico said.
Maiatico said one the tenants, an adult male, was treated for smoke inhalation after he discovered the fire upon returning to the apartment. He was taken to Warren Memorial Hospital and held for observation, Maiatico said.