By Alex Bridges
The following are public meetings scheduled for the week.
The Board of Supervisors and the School Board plan to meet at 5 p.m. Monday at the Edinburg Mill for a work session. The boards plan to discuss:
- The county capital improvement plan
- Capital Reserve Fund management strategies
- Possible federal sequestration and its potential impact on local budgets
- Preliminary fiscal 2014 budget issues
The Board of Supervisors meets at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the county government center. Supervisors will hold a public hearing on the issuance to the Virginia Resource Authority for a revenue bond of up to $4.5 million for the renovation of the Edinburg School and a lease of the Edinburg School for instructional opportunities for students with special needs, the Shenandoah Area Agency on Aging and the county's Department of Parks and Recreation.
Supervisors also plan to:
- Consider a comprehensive agreement with Caldwell Santmyer for the design and build of the Edinburg School and Historic Courthouse in accordance with the Virginia Public Private Education Act
- Consider a lease agreement with Charterhouse School Inc. for use of the Edinburg School to provide education services to special-needs students
- Consider a resolution to approve the issuance and sale of a Virginia revenue bond of up to $4.5 million for the Edinburg School project
- Discuss the asset forfeiture program
- Consider the approval of a special-use permit for a private airstrip for small-engine planes on personal property on property off Bethel Church Road, owned by William and Maxine Pence. The Planning Commission vote 4-2 to recommend approval of the permit with conditions.
- Give recognition to National 4-H Week and to recent graduates of the volunteer firefighter academy
Supervisors plan to meet in closed session to discuss appointments to the Conservation Easement Authority and the Department of Social Services Board.
The Town Council Infrastructure Committee meets at 5 p.m. Monday. The committee plans to hear updates on:
- The water treatment plant and wastewater treatment plant upgrade
- The Public Works Department facility
- The Downtown Streetscape Enhancement Project and the King Street water and sewer line replacement
- Madison Heights storm water improvements
- The committee also will discuss:
- A sidewalk to Food Lion
- The town water system model and analysis
- Reallocation of the Ash Street water line capital improvement project
- A space needs analysis
The Town Council Finance and Personnel Committee meets at 7 p.m. Monday. The committee plans to conduct an interview for a position on the Board of Zoning Appeals. Then the committee will hear updates on:
- The town economic development plan
- The status of the water infrastructure needs study
- A request for proposals for coordinating ordinance with the Community Plan
- The status of the annexation discussion with the county
- A review of regulations regarding payment of taxes and a discussion of whether organizations operating in Strasburg but not headquartered in town are paying equitable taxes compared to organizations in town
- The committee also plans to discuss
- The implications of changing the minimum water use from 2,000 to 3,000 gallons per month
- The possibility of reducing the general fund by $250,000 for fiscal 2013 and 2014
- Whether the town should charge fees for currently free services
The Architectural Review Board meets at 5 p.m. Thursday. The board plans to review applications for signs and exterior renovations to Dunkin Donuts and exterior renovations to the Strasburg Presbyterian Church.
Warren County officials plan to hold a ribbon-cutting ceremony for the new Public Safety Building at 4 p.m. Tuesday at 200 Skyline Vista Drive, Front Royal
The Board of Supervisors and the Planning Commission meet for a joint work session at 6 p.m. Tuesday in the caucus room of the county government center.
The Development Review Committee meets at 10 a.m. Wednesday in caucus room.
The transition committee of the Rappahannock-Shenandoah-Warren Regional Jail Authority meets at 1 p.m. Thursday in the caucus room. A meeting of the jail authority board follows at 2 p.m.
The Front Royal-Warren County Anti-Litter Council meets at 4 p.m. Thursday in the government center.
The Transportation Committee meets at 8:30 a.m. Monday.
The Community Policy Management Team meets at 1 p.m. Monday.
The Conservation Easement Authority meets at 8 a.m. Thursday. The panel plans to view the film, "The Last Crop," a documentary about a family working to preserve their small farm.
The Development Review and Regulations Committee meets at 7 p.m. Thursday.
The Code and Ordinance Committee meets at 3 p.m. Friday.
The Planning Commission meets at 7 p.m. Monday
The Parks and Recreation Committee meets at 5 p.m. Monday.
The Finance Committee meets 5 p.m. Wednesday.
Contact staff writer Alex Bridges at 540-465-5137 ext. 125, or firstname.lastname@example.org